Why do you despise ND?

Born_a_Tider

3rd Team
Jul 31, 2005
Montgomery, AL
www.GameDayZone.com
I know we all have a special place in our hearts for Notre Dame and it is that place we don't like to visit often. However, I would like to know why we despise them so. I can give my account......which stem's from my Dad.

1) Coach Bryant never beat them. As much as we loved Coach, it pained us not to see him beat them.
2) Catholics vs All Other Religions. I know but remember this stems from my Dad. He points out that "2/3 of the US is Catholic and they could have any player they wanted". I have argued this point with him to no avail. Just throwing it out there.
3) Did not like Ara, not sure why.

Other thoughts?

A lot of it comes from the fact that Notre Dame got propped up for so long just because of the name. Other reasons are the refusal to join a conference yet enjoying the BCS perks (I can see their position there), though, and the people who continue to try to make people believe they're a relevant program (The numbers are getting fewer and fewer).

Besides, I'm Catholic and never could stand them.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
1. Media covers them like a president they like no matter what.
2. Officials cheat in their favor
3. They get away with stuff others can't
4. Ara was a jerk, but so was Holtz & all their coaches
5. I will stop here but I could do 50 with Aragonce!

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
As for me, I have always thought that ND believed they were above everyone else. They do not want to be affiliated with a conference...they have their own special network...and above all that, they have always gotten preferential treatment in the polls (see 1966). They have always been condescending in their attitudes towards their opponents. I would love to see us get into a series with them again...we owe them a lot.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
For me, its their sense of entitlement and how the national media fawns over them. I know we have a sense of entitlement too, but the world doesn't kiss our backsides (or that of Texas, USC, Nebraska, etc) the way they do Notre Dame.

I was watching the ESPN 30/30 special on miami the other night. They spent several minutes whing about miami's 58-7 win over them and how they ran the score up. I guess Notre Dame never trounced anybody. I'm no Hurricane fan, but I loved that game.

I am too young to really remember the bowl game losses. I recall Ara being an announcer and never had anything against him. Lou Holtz I never liked (even in his Arkansas days) and wan to puke seeing him on ESPN. Loved his 0-11 season at USCe.

FWIW, I'm not Catholic but have no issues with that religion, though disagree with their doctrine. I'm Methodist but do not like SMU.

DaleC76

3rd Team
Dec 5, 2006
I don't despise them. They aren't relevant enough to despise. I root against them when I see them on TV and realize they still play football, because of some of the afore mentioned reasons. But beyond that, they don't matter anymore.

Born_a_Tider

3rd Team
Jul 31, 2005
Montgomery, AL
www.GameDayZone.com
And I still wonder how they were able to arrange a nice payout from NBC to play on the network each Saturday. I see alot of "they are no longer relevant" posts and believe we are a sample of the whole. Do enough people wake up each Saturday and plan their entire day around ND football to justify a huge payout? The preferential treatment does kill me......

JDTide2009

Nov 14, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't have any dislike for Notre Dame. I'd pull for them if they ever play auburn, tennessee, or lsu. A Bama victory over them would give me almost but not quite as much satisfaction as watching us beat one of our conference rivals simply because they're such a tradition rich team, and I was too young to care about football the last time we beat them.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Although not as much as in the past, they receive preferential treatment from the media. You younger posters might not have seen this so much, but it happened a lot. All too often it happened at Bama's expense as well.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Because if they would have won last night they would automatically start next year in the top five. I will have to go with the to high and mighty to join a conference route.

BAMAccounting10

3rd Team
Oct 1, 2010
I hate ND because when I went to a ND game the following happened:

1) Two ND students were arguing over which of their Dad's car cost more $--they were arguing passionately too
2) A ND student spit a mouth full of beer everywhere and it got all over my girlfriend. I laid a good 'ol southern boy whoopin on him so bad his eyes rolled to the back of his head. I mean total TKO his friends didnt even help him they just stood there and watched haha
3) The fans are VERY VERY snooty and arrogant. Not even just about their FB team but even in general. They think they have alpha genes and anyone that goes to a lowly state school or even a school in the south are in a different social class.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I no longer despise them. If they ever decide they want to attempt to play winning football again, I might find the energy to hate them as before.

They've allowed themselves to become a joke, flailing about like a skinny 180 lb dork trying to fight in a heavy weight division.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Although "despise" is way too strong a word, I dislike ND for one simple reason:

November 19, 1966.​

When ND played UT, I pulled for natural disaster.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Really just a couple reasons I don't like them.

They won't join a conference... which should be the Big 10 because they play those teams a lot anyway.

They can go to a BCS game if they are 9-3 when no other team in the country is guaranteed that.

Oh and on a related note for all the people complaining about us maybe being National Champions without having won the SEC title.....what conference title has Notre Dame EVER won when they won a National Title??? None....just none.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Forum rules, plus an obvious limitation on post length, prevent me from going into details. For the curious.................family is 99% Catholic. The fact I am a "one-percenter" is beside the point. Always hated 'em, always will. 'Nuf said.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
1966, 1973, 1975 and the fact that they are notre dame.

"Notre Dame plays politics,
Alabama plays football;
In your heart you know, we're No. 1."

- Author unknown (1967)

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I don't despise them. They aren't relevant enough to despise. I root against them when I see them on TV and realize they still play football, because of some of the afore mentioned reasons. But beyond that, they don't matter anymore.
Because if they would have won last night they would automatically start next year in the top five. I will have to go with the to high and mighty to join a conference route.

A combination of these two statements for me. When they finally get a 9-10 winning season again, it will be the second coming of football for the media and not anything else will be discussed.

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I've always hated ND. I think they represent everything that is wrong with College Football. The only thing I like about ND is that they are one of the Elite Traditional Programs that make College Football great. Unfortunately, they have abused the power that they have.

1) They are the only legitimate program that can argue that they are the Greatest College Football Program of All-Time along with Alabama. Because of that, there is an inherent competition between Bama fans and ND. When media talk about most National Titles All-Time, there are always 2 teams at the Top, just sometime the order is changed.
2) Refusal to join a Conference
3) Sense of Entitlement
4) Arrogance that they are better than everyone else
5) They started this "Personal TV Contract" Crap
6) They provided the Blueprint for a program like Texas to try and do the same thing

My hatred doesn't go back to Ara or Lou, it's more about the items listed above. Besides their great tradition, which is great and is BY FAR the best thing about ND, they personify everything that is wrong with College Football. Texas is following right behind them...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.