McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
He's just saying what a lot of other Jet's players have been insinuating. 100% guaranteed that at least one of the guys he was talking about was Santonio Holmes. Most analyst and guys close to the team agree.

Doubt he get's any backlash from this except from the player(s) he was talking about. Most of the rest of the guys on the team feel the same way he does.

And FWIW, Colin Cowherd among others is praising McElroy for what he had to say. Most analyst and talking heads love Greg.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I don't think Greg thinks he has a future with the Jets or he wouldn't have made the statements. Question is will it endanger his future as an NFL exec or commentator. Maybe yes for the former, probably less for the latter...
Don't know if it will hurt his ability as an exec. I know several business owners who deal with his dad at the Cowboys and they will tell you his dad is as arrogant and opinionated as they come. However, he knows his stuff and they respect him.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
20 to 1 Jets fans are thankful that GMac confirmed what was being speculated and also anonymously leaked to the press by players since the Miami game. Words like "cancer", "dysfunctional" were already in print, Greg reaffirmed all of this in excellent fashion. His wording was a media godsend.

For anyone critical of Greg, I doubt he would have said anything that was not already out there, letting the cat out of the bag with an internal issue. He did a great job of summarizing the situation in the least amount of words which is an indication of his intelligence.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Greg would be an asset to a college coaching staff. I hope he ends back at the University in some capacity. The person who called him arrogant...stupid assessment at best.

Roll Tide

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Greg may have enjoyed airing his frustrations, but I imagine he will regret saying all that. What he said sounds like what someone would say if they don't expect or care if they will remain on the team.
Greg's had a wonderful life with many highlights, but at his age and in his position, he sounds just a little too full of himself.

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
If you haven't suited up ever for a regular season game, then you are not a part of that team. Some of you think he actually has cards to play but there are plenty more kids with more talent ready to take his place.
At the end of the day, I don't think Greg is terribly concerned about someone taking his spot. He has plenty to fall back on should his NFL career not pan out. He's a smart guy with a college degree, family connections, and a major TV network in love with him. If the Jets cut him, he'll either catch on somewhere else or use his intelligence and confidence to become an on-air personality at ESPN where he will immediately be 20 times better than Jesse Palmer and Robert Smith.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Sip - This is a rare occasion but I totally and completely disagree. GMAC earned the right to wear that uniform, thus to say anything he wants to say. He plays the position that calls for such leadership. If Sanchez were to lead, GMAC could stay quiet. Meanwhile, I applaud his nerve, knowing that what you suggest as his fate could well be the result. I predict this will earn him the starting job before this is all over.

No way...thats not how the NFL works.

The Jets management staff will have major issues with the public statements.
The coaching staff will have major issues with him calling them out
the p[layers will have major issues with his words

he was a 7th round selection thats been on injured reserve for the entire season
his position REQUIRES the players to have faith in your leadership and want to play behind you

this is not a good thing for GMac

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If I was in his shoes and situation I'd kept my mouth shut plain and simple and it would have nothing to do with the impact on me having a spot on the Jets or a career somewhere else. The NFL might be a professional football league with professional football players but that doesn't mean they act that way or handle things in a mature, adult manner.

I've watched people get their butts beat in locker room over less.....MUCH LESS. Greg's not dealing with college kids anymore. He's dealing with grown men with egos equal to or greater than his and the immaturity of a 5 year old. I'd hate to get my face bashed in (literally) when I didn't have to.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I like GMac as much as the next Bama fan, BUT has he even thrown a pass in an NFL game? Point is, he needs to earn his stripes before opening a can of worms. After the Jets trade him (and they will) what team will give him a chance? Sorry, this is not college anymore.... these players make $$$$$ and something like this from a rookie will not be tolerated.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Maybe GMAC's comments were out of place, or ill advised; I guess you could argue that point from now on.

But what GMAC said was the truth, and that without arguement.

I can only guess what his motivation was; but maybe GMAC was use to being on a team with a winning attitude. Something that the Jet's don't have.

I also think given the opportunity he will challenge Sanchez for the starting position.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Everyone has a right to an opinion.

Greg actually has some clout. Leading Bama to a NC, the Rhodes scholarship finalist publicity, a Saban guy, and most importantly his own self confidence mixed with excellent articulation of his thoughts. Greg is probably not going to be the next Tom Brady, but my hopes are that he does enough to qualify himself as a NFL player for a few years and then be the national go to guy for Bama concerns. We need a good one, like a Coach Stallings. Once his NFL career is over, Greg could become a heavy voice at ESPN if he chooses that path...he certainly has the tools for it. We are lucky to have him, and I am very happy to see that he is not afraid to speak his mind.

He is not being criticized for his remarks.
Really, all the credentials you mentioned were way before he was a jet. didnt see anything that gave him cred from his time with the Jets team.

Of course, not meaning to be critical, just opinions...

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I live in NYC, as this has turned into a big story. Whether or not the fact are true, it really wasn't his place to speak about them. This is exactly why Saban doesn't allow freshmen to talk to reporters.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
He's just saying what a lot of other Jet's players have been insinuating. 100% guaranteed that at least one of the guys he was talking about was Santonio Holmes. Most analyst and guys close to the team agree.

Doubt he get's any backlash from this except from the player(s) he was talking about. Most of the rest of the guys on the team feel the same way he does.

And FWIW, Colin Cowherd among others is praising McElroy for what he had to say. Most analyst and talking heads love Greg.
I think the analysts and talking heads praise Greg's bold outburst because it gives them insight and stirs the pot for discussion within the Jets organization that didn't exist before. It is like saying the Times Daily enjoyed me getting arrested at the night club while wearing a Polka Dot Cheerleader outfit...

Greg has a future as a "talking head" at ESPN because of his ability to articulate and his confidence behind the camera. But with that being said, I know multiple people from within the program who are not "fans" of GM for multiple reasons, many of them have been mentioned in this thread...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll remind everyone that says he hasn't played an NFL game of something: he did play a lot in the preseason and usually behind a horrible offensive line. He literally got beat up in the preseason, yet he had some solid showings. Mostly, he was the most impressive rookie QB during the preseason. Yes, I know what the preseason is all about. But that doesn't change the fact that he was running for his life most of the time, and playing with free agent WRs, yet had some impressive showings.

I wouldn't have said those things, if I were in Greg's shoes. But I'm also not a type A personality. We'll see how it all plays out. He may be done for with the Jets, but make no mistake, he's better off with another team.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's kind of beside the point but...the publication that quote was printed by, the NewYorkPost, is a muckracking newspaper that I consider barely a step up from the National Enquirer.

They are especially good at getting unfortunate or outlandish quotes on every different topic out there. The "reporters" who work there are masters at provoking headline-making quotes. Greg may well have been baited into saying too much.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I wanna play.
$.02

Had he not been injured he was in position to be the starter by year's end. MS is just not that polished as a QB. There's zero leadership on that team and he's making his move at the start of the off-season. He's way too smart and too much PR background for this to be some sort of casual mistake.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
None of those USC QBs have amounted to much.

Carson Palmer had a few really good years with the Bengals.

But Leinart has largely stunk. Sanchez has largely stunk, he's had a good defense that's helped in the playoffs the last two years. Even Matt Cassel has been pretty average since that one season he played for Brady when he was injured.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I wanna play.
$.02

Had he not been injured he was in position to be the starter by years end. MS is just not that polished as a QB. There's zero leadership on that team and he's making his move at the start of the off-season. He's way too smart and too much PR background for this to be some sort of casual mistake.

Calculated or not, until they release him and he's not required to go back to the facility/locker room he's in great danger of getting a severe beat down. It can get quite primitive in the locker room...

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Well after spending 21 years in the military, I've been around bad, good, and great leaders. Had men beside me I wouldn't trade for the world in a fire fight, and some I wanted to shoot myself. Speaking from experience you never chastise your troops in public by calling them out. Greg didn't do this, his statement (he didn't name names and those individuals know who they are) was about a mindset that is detrimental to team cohesiveness. Now that it's public, as a leader he has to help change the attitude in that locker room, and those "Team players" that had the right mindset has to not only appreciate his courage, but climb on board and help change that mindset!
Remember
"Courage is contagious, when a man stands up and does the right thing others backbones start to stiffen"

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Well after spending 21 years in the military, I've been around bad, good, and great leaders. Had men beside me I wouldn't trade for the world in a fire fight, and some I wanted to shoot myself. Speaking from experience you never chastise your troops in public by calling them out. Greg didn't do this, his statement (he didn't name names and those individuals know who they are) was about a mindset that is detrimental to team cohesiveness. Now that it's public, as a leader he has to help change the attitude in that locker room, and those "Team players" that had the right mindset has to not only appreciate his courage, but climb on board and help change that mindset!
Remember
"Courage is contagious, when a man stands up and does the right thing others backbones start to stiffen"
^ This

Greg may not have the clout to do this, but leaders don't keep their heads down and stay quiet. Being a leader sometimes puts you at risk.

Greg may suffer the consequences others have stated in the thread. He may even get cut. That does not mean that what he did was not the right thing to do, and I think it probably was.

If he is going to be a leader, then he has to at least attempt to lead. Trying to get your teammates to be a team and buy into what the coaches want to do is not something his teammates or coaches will openly have a problem with. If they privately have a problem with it, it is on them, not Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.