McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
The NFL is full of thugs making millions to a play a game. These thugs also have the nerve to complain about work conditions and salaries in the midst of the worst economic situation since the Great Depression. This off season Vikings halfback Adrian Peterson likened playing in the NFL to slavery. I was saddened when the lockout was resolved with the players winning on every front. My hope had been that the players would be replaced with scabs and rookies or that the league would fold permanently.

Selfishness is putting it mildly. I haven't watched a full game of the "No Fun League" in nearly five years and I don't plan on that changing anytime soon. That includes the Super Bowl. That league's glory days are well behind it and the attitude in the Jets locker room is no different than the other 31. A person with character (like McElroy) simply doesn't fit in with that environment.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not just this situation but any situation like this it is best to address the team directly. My first year of college baseball part of the conditioning was being able to run a mile in a certain specified time frame at 5:00 am (rain, sleet, snow or shine).

Unless you were a "big dude" you were required to run a 6 minute mile. And until EVERYBODY could do it we ALL had to keep getting up every freaking morning at 5 am and run it. Well, we had some guys who like to hang out late, and drank a WHOLE 'LOT! These were also some of the ones that were the cause for the rest of us who could run the mile within the six minutes to continue to have to get up morning after morning to run it. So one of the Sophmores calls a team meeting and basically calls them out. He said he was tired of running every morning because of their lazy, out of shape.....and it was time they quit all the........ and pick up the slack.

And I think that's how it should be done.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Well, I'm from the school of "Snitches get stitches". Playing all of the big three sports in HS then baseball in college I've seen some crazy mess happen in a locker room. But I guess that stuff don't happen anymore. Good for Greg.
You don't think that locker room atmosphere is the same in the pros as it is in college or high school do you? They have all the luxuries you and I could imagine. The media is in there 24/7. I feel like a locker room beating would be caught at that level. Verbal abuse is more likely in my opinion. Regardless, I think McElroy will likely be out of there very soon.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
You don't think that locker room atmosphere is the same in the pros as it is in college or high school do you? They have all the luxuries you and I could imagine. The media is in there 24/7. I feel like a locker room beating would be caught at that level. Verbal abuse is more likely in my opinion. Regardless, I think McElroy will likely be out of there very soon.
I don't know what's its like in a pro locker room so it maybe different. And I haven't been in a college locker room in forever so things might have changed. The point is say it to the team not the media, and I don't care what the coach does or the other players. Them handling it right or wrong is not going to change whether I handle it the right way or not.

I attribute a lot of it to youth. I guarantee you if you were ask Greg in five years if he had it to do over again would he do it the same I bet he'd say "No, I should have kept it in house."

BrandonOfMetry

Scout Team
Oct 5, 2005
Houston
I don't think Greg thinks he has a future with the Jets or he wouldn't have made the statements. Question is will it endanger his future as an NFL exec or commentator. Maybe yes for the former, probably less for the latter...
Wholly agree with this. Whether or not he's right to make the comment, he's wayyyy too smart to say something like this (knowing the consequences) if he isn't planning on a career change soon of some sort.

The NFL is full of thugs making millions to a play a game. These thugs also have the nerve to complain about work conditions and salaries in the midst of the worst economic situation since the Great Depression. This off season Vikings halfback Adrian Peterson likened playing in the NFL to slavery. I was saddened when the lockout was resolved with the players winning on every front. My hope had been that the players would be replaced with scabs and rookies or that the league would fold permanently.

Selfishness is putting it mildly. I haven't watched a full game of the "No Fun League" in nearly five years and I don't plan on that changing anytime soon. That includes the Super Bowl. That league's glory days are well behind it and the attitude in the Jets locker room is no different than the other 31. A person with character (like McElroy) simply doesn't fit in with that environment.
-You were saddened when the lockout ended, yet you haven't watched an NFL game in 5 years? What's it to you if the league operates or not, especially since you aren't a fan?

-The players didn't win on every front.

-What would you define as the league's "glory days"? The NFL is currently the most popular sport in the country, and it's not even close. It wasn't like that in the late 60's, 70's, 80's, and even part of the 90's.

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Well, I'm from the school of "Snitches get stitches". Playing all of the big three sports in HS then baseball in college I've seen some crazy mess happen in a locker room. But I guess that stuff don't happen anymore. Good for Greg.
With the lazy bunch of prima donnas on the jets team I doubt any of them lay a hand on him or risk injury by doing thing to him.

I don't know what's its like in a pro locker room so it maybe different. And I haven't been in a college locker room in forever so things might have changed. The point is say it to the team not the media, and I don't care what the coach does or the other players. Them handling it right or wrong is not going to change whether I handle it the right way or not.

I attribute a lot of it to youth. I guarantee you if you were ask Greg in five years if he had it to do over again would he do it the same I bet he'd say "No, I should have kept it in house."
I'll give you an example I just read about:

When the Patriots were on their 3 Super Bowl run, a lot was talked about regarding "The Patriot Way". The team had certain ways of doing things, and if you were out of line in even the slightest... you'd be put back quickly or shipped out. I recently read "War Room", (Which describes how Bill Belichick built his organization and then how Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimtrioff followed suit when they left New England) and it has a great portion on how Teddy Bruschi and Willie McGinest ruled that locker room with iron fists, especially when new players came onto the team (Chad Jackson, for example). In New York, though, there is obviously no real locker room leader. They shipped out a core group of veterans (Shaun Ellis and Jericho Cotchery, for example) that seemed to hold things together all while naming Santonio Holmes a captain this year.

So Greg's situation is a symptom of the bigger problem: There is no real locker room leader on that team, which is why a rookie said this to the media. Had there been one, Greg would have never said this and a lot of the craziness the Jets experienced wouldn't have been tolerated.

Still, I continue to find this hilarious that this is involving the Jets.

Last edited:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Smart people do dumb things at times.

I think Greg is likely 100% right. I don't think he probably should not have said this as a guy who was injured all year. Hope it all works out well for him, no matter whether it was calculated or off the cuff frustration.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well I, like a lot of good friends here played some football in my lifetime , and, to me, what Greg did, at his current status on the team, is like the 7th grade Quarterback going public with what he feels is wrong with the high school team I'm playing on.

In short, I would not only not like it, I'd let him know it in no uncertain terms.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I've always had the problem of being forthright. It really was no problem to me only to others. Say what's on your mind and leave no doubt as to what you mean. I think Greg is just being forthright.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Well I, like a lot of good friends here played some football in my lifetime , and, to me, what Greg did, at his current status on the team, is like the 7th grade Quarterback going public with what he feels is wrong with the high school team I'm playing on.

In short, I would not only not like it, I'd let him know it in no uncertain terms.
Would you even think about it and consider that he may be right?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
CoastGhost, if he had played and actually worn the uniform in the regular season I would agree. As it is he comes across as a guy who did little but talks a lot.
The big problem here for Greg is that the NFL isn't college. Coach Saban can send a guy home and that's it, no more obligation. An NFL coach or owner can't do that so easily because those players still get paid regardless if they're playing or not.
Tough situation for GMAC. Hope it works out.
You are probably right and admit I don't think in NFL. If he was wrong or if he had been specific or abusive, I would expect a bad reaction. I really believe that what he said will force the real leader(s) on that team to come out of the closet ... if there are any. But you are right, their first act of leadership will probably be to stuff the mouthy rookie in his locker. Its hard to know what alliances GMAC has made and exactly how much backing he had prior to saying what he did. There may be a coup afoot and a "sick of Sanchez" theme involved. Greg never struck me as stupid or destructive ... a little cocky at times and frankly, I always liked that about him. He could (as others have suggested) decided to move toward his announcer's career where he can make more money in the long run and not get smacked around by 300 lb monsters.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
It's kind of beside the point but...the publication that quote was printed by, the NewYorkPost, is a muckracking newspaper that I consider barely a step up from the National Enquirer.

They are especially good at getting unfortunate or outlandish quotes on every different topic out there. The "reporters" who work there are masters at provoking headline-making quotes. Greg may well have been baited into saying too much.
Don't know if it still does but, back in the day when I lived in NYC, the post had 2 or 3 pages that were nothing but ads for the strip clubs... Included the 'measurements' of the featured dancers....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've heard Mike Golic and one other ESPN talking head (Hugh Douglas I think) who both have said Greg's career is over in the NFL. Now, I don't know if this was a knee jerk reaction or what but BOTH of them point blank said he won't play for another NFL team.

If this is true what a high price to pay for a youthful mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.