Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Re: McElroy calls out Jets

Greg didn't name any names so I don't think people in the locker room will be all that upset. He was a 7th rounder, but he also won a national championship, so he's going to a mic stuck in his face more often than the typical borderline roster guy.

He is not going to be assaulted in the locker room for his statements - that's just silly.

He is not going to get cut for making these statements. If he gets cut it will be because of his relatively weak arm and other measureables, not because of his mouth.

The locker room was toxic. Everyone with any sense knows that. While Greg didn't say it, he was mostly talking about Holmes. He's their cancer. Sanchez is a problem as well since he underperforms at the worst times, but since he's a high draft pick they're not giving up on him (yet). Burress probably has had an effect on the locker room too.

All Greg did was allude to some problems in a relatively non-specific way. Some people are acting as if he called Rex Ryan and dundering blowhard and said Santonio Holmes was an overpaid primadonna. He didn't. Get some perspective.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 5th, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Was trying to reply not edit. Sorry.

2. Advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonseal12 View Post
    Well after spending 21 years in the military, I've been around bad, good, and great leaders. Had men beside me I wouldn't trade for the world in a fire fight, and some I wanted to shoot myself. Speaking from experience you never chastise your troops in public by calling them out. Greg didn't do this, his statement (he didn't name names and those individuals know who they are) was about a mindset that is detrimental to team cohesiveness. Now that it's public, as a leader he has to help change the attitude in that locker room, and those "Team players" that had the right mindset has to not only appreciate his courage, but climb on board and help change that mindset!
    Remember
    "Courage is contagious, when a man stands up and does the right thing others backbones start to stiffen"
    But this is like a guy who has never fought beside you or been in that theater telling you what you are doing wrong.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Greg didn't name any names so I don't think people in the locker room will be all that upset. He was a 7th rounder, but he also won a national championship, so he's going to a mic stuck in his face more often than the typical borderline roster guy.

He is not going to be assaulted in the locker room for his statements - that's just silly.

He is not going to get cut for making these statements. If he gets cut it will be because of his relatively weak arm and other measureables, not because of his mouth.

The locker room was toxic. Everyone with any sense knows that. While Greg didn't say it, he was mostly talking about Holmes. He's their cancer. Sanchez is a problem as well since he underperforms at the worst times, but since he's a high draft pick they're not giving up on him (yet). Burress probably has had an effect on the locker room too.

All Greg did was allude to some problems in a relatively non-specific way. Some people are acting as if he called Rex Ryan and dundering blowhard and said Santonio Holmes was an overpaid primadonna. He didn't. Get some perspective.
    They've already had to separate Holmes and Sanchez in a meeting earlier this week. There have been reports of a lot of verbal confrontations between players. So to think it could progress and escalate to a physical fight is not out of the question. Especially seeing that a 7th round draft pick who didn't contribute one down in the regular season gets behind a microphone and gives his ".02" to the world about what's wrong with the team.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Colin Cowherd just played excerpts from Greg's interview and defended what Greg said and why Greg was saying it. He, too, called him a leader to try to correct what was wrong. Seems like Erik Ainge, QB at UT and the pros, said that Greg should be keeping his mouth shut. Cowherd took on Ainge, saying what an underachiever he was and that Greg showed the backbone of a leader. Just sharing. Roll Tide!

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Update: Cowherd said Greg will be his guest tomorrow.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamanooga View Post
    Update: Cowherd said Greg will be his guest tomorrow.
    Yea, anything further from Greg on this I think is a mistake. I think he his initial what, how and where were fine, but repeatedly shouting it from the rooftops is different. My guess is he will try to moderate his tone without backing off of the team first. I am just not sure he will be able to do it with Cowherd stoking the flames.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

While maybe unwise as a rookie who hasn't played, but Greg exhibited true leadership by calling out the Jets' players. Obviously, Sanchez or any other Jets' player do not have the leadership skills to deal with the problems that have arisen. Erik Ainge is just a coke doping moron who is as thick as two short planks in lucid times.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

I support what Greg McElroy said. Rex Ryan talk so much smack its sickening--about how the Jets are going to win the SuperBowl, how "its personal" between him and their opponent...etc. The Jets NEVER live up to Rex Ryans talk. Greg knows what it takes to win a championship and be a part of something special. A championship team is more than just an assembly of talent--its a mindset. Greg doesnt have to be the starting QB to know the mindset of the team. I support Greg for calling out the "selfish" players that are all about their personal stats and records.

I hope Greg doesn't double-down and make it worse on Cowherd's show.

A newcomer to the pros ought to let his national radio interview be about something he did on the field, not some controversial remarks he gave from the bench. And if he hasn't done anything on the field that would get him interviewed, pipe down and wait 'til he does.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    Erik Ainge is just a coke doping moron who is as thick as two short planks in lucid times.
    Don't hold back, ChattBrit. Tell us how you really feel about Ainge!

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    Yea, anything further from Greg on this I think is a mistake. I think he his initial what, how and where were fine, but repeatedly shouting it from the rooftops is different. My guess is he will try to moderate his tone without backing off of the team first. I am just not sure he will be able to do it with Cowherd stoking the flames.
    If he continues to jaw off about the Jets problems you could change the name of the show to "McElroy's career is burning"

Lets put this thing in perspective. How would we like it as Bama fans if our backup freshman injured quarterback who has yet to take a snap, and for all we know never will, got on the radio and started discussing our team and its problems over the air ways. I think we would find many less that would defend him...just sayin'

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I have Joe Namath as a "friend" on Facebook. I asked him about this situation. Here is his reply:

I'm not surprised by Greg McElroy's feelings regarding his "selfish teammates" and the "corrupt mindset in the locker room." However, I am surprised he disclosed them publicly. (Which he might now regret having done...) But, Greg is a sincere guy and he has never before experienced the individualistic egos some pro players have. There's an old saying about one or two bad apples ruining and rotting the bunch (or bushel). Let's hope Coach Ryan and Tannenbaum will make positive changes this offseason!
    "They're not better than us," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said of the Tide. "They're better than everyone."