McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Would you even think about it and consider that he may be right?
It's not about being right. I think every single person in this thread agrees that Greg is absolutely right. However, at the end of all of this is how he chose to handle it going to be worth the potential consequences? Because when I got home from work every sports station ESPN has and NFL Network were ripping him to absolute shreds, players across the league tweeting and doing the same and two former NFL greats saying odds are Greg's career is over in the NFL.

I'm certain Greg was right. But was going public about worth it what it might cost him?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It's not about being right. I think every single person in this thread agrees that Greg is absolutely right. However, at the end of all of this is how he chose to handle it going to be worth the potential consequences? Because when I got home from work every sports station ESPN has and NFL Network were ripping him to absolute shreds, players across the league tweeting and doing the same and two former NFL greats saying odds are Greg's career is over in the NFL.

I'm certain Greg was right. But was going public about worth it what it might cost him?
I just think it is pretty sorry that Greg is the one being thrown under the bus. The problem doesn't just magically go away because you stick your fingers in your ears and start humming.

If protecting "the family" involves ending someone's career because they pointed out the obvious, I don't think I want to be a part of that "family". The league's overall reaction to this is just childish imo.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Greg wants a future an an Exec, IMO. If that's the case, then he needs to learn to bust balls... and that's what he did. Did he "earn" the right to speak even though he hasn't played a down in the regular season? It's hard to say. But at the end of the day, he's an employee of a company that is falling apart. If I were the employee of an ill run company, and I had the financial backing and intellectual capability to "feel froggy," I'd say what I felt as well.

Here's what everyone needs to realize: Greg isn't stupid. Greg isn't a career starting QB in the NFL. Since Greg isn't stupid, he knows this. Perhaps he's laying the foundation for being a businessman. Perhaps he's tired of seeing his team under perform. Regardless, I don't think we need to worry about him. He'll wind up doing better than most of us.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
if i was the Jets owner, i would call Greg to my office and ask him for names. i would not want anyone working for me that is quitting or doesn't care about winning and only in it for themselves. I would not want any of them on my team.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
if i was the Jets owner, i would call Greg to my office and ask him for names. i would not want anyone working for me that is quitting or doesn't care about winning and only in it for themselves. I would not want any of them on my team.
I would also give him a job in the office because calling your teammates out as a rookie QB that never touched the ball in a regular season game could make for an interesting locker room. Not saying he is wrong, just saying you gotta be Brees or Brady caliber to lay that smack down. Good luck Greg in management.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I would also give him a job in the office because calling your teammates out as a rookie QB that never touched the ball in a regular season game could make for an interesting locker room. Not saying he is wrong, just saying you gotta be Brees or Brady caliber to lay that smack down. Good luck Greg in management.
I'm afraid Golic and Hugh Douglas of ESPN Radio were both right when they said McElroy won't play for another NFL team. Obviously within the NFL brotherhood one has to "earn" the right to speak out in that manner. And part of earning that right is to do something on the field that earns the respect of your peers. So that begs the question if he's done that kind of damage to keep him from getting on the field then would any NFL team even give him a chance in the office?

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
So that begs the question if he's done that kind of damage to keep him from getting on the field then would any NFL team even give him a chance in the office?
Why not. NFL front offices and players hardly ever see eye to eye. Plus, he probably has more field playing expereince than most guys.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If you haven't suited up ever for a regular season game, then you are not a part of that team. Some of you think he actually has cards to play but there are plenty more kids with more talent ready to take his place.

Everyone has a right to an opinion.

Greg actually has some clout. Leading Bama to a NC, the Rhodes scholarship finalist publicity, a Saban guy, and most importantly his own self confidence mixed with excellent articulation of his thoughts. Greg is probably not going to be the next Tom Brady, but my hopes are that he does enough to qualify himself as a NFL player for a few years and then be the national go to guy for Bama concerns. We need a good one, like a Coach Stallings. Once his NFL career is over, Greg could become a heavy voice at ESPN if he chooses that path...he certainly has the tools for it. We are lucky to have him, and I am very happy to see that he is not afraid to speak his mind.

He is not being criticized for his remarks.

Really, all the credentials you mentioned were way before he was a jet. didnt see anything that gave him cred from his time with the Jets team.

Of course, not meaning to be critical, just opinions...
poster 1 - Greg has no clout due to being a third string injured nobody
Me- He is part of the team and Greg does have things that most other 3rd stringer don't (I am assuming any reader will realize these are outside the Jets!)
you - What you mention is before the jets

What?

So what is your point? That all the attention and support given to Greg has nothing to do with his high reputation as a person which has been formed through his lifetime, not his one year with the Jets. That he would get the same press no matter what he has accomplished before joining the Jets? I think that is a little naive if you do believe that.

Last edited:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Let's give Mal Moore 3 more years and then let ole McElroy take over as AD.

Seriously though, I'd love to see him be AD one day (in like 2032.)

Guess what guys - a third string QB on a team that didn't make the playoffs is one of the hottest topics the week of the playoffs starting. He's all over radio and TV. I believe he's at ESPN today. Maybe he's not so dumb after all. He knows that in the end this will be a good thing for him. Sure, it might end his playing days in the NFL, but he wasn't going to make it past 2012 any way.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Let's give Mal Moore 3 more years and then let ole McElroy take over as AD.

Seriously though, I'd love to see him be AD one day (in like 2032.)

Guess what guys - a third string QB on a team that didn't make the playoffs is one of the hottest topics the week of the playoffs starting. He's all over radio and TV. I believe he's at ESPN today. Maybe he's not so dumb after all. He knows that in the end this will be a good thing for him. Sure, it might end his playing days in the NFL, but he wasn't going to make it past 2012 any way.
Actually he did have a shot at making it in the NFL. He showed in the preseason he can perform in the league. Maybe not as a Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers type QB but he definitely can move an offense. His arm also has gotten stronger (as mentioned by either Jaws or one of the analyst during a preseason game).

I just hope, if this was a calculated move on his part, that he gets the results he thought this type action would bring.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Sounds like something Lane Kiffin would say...:rolleyes:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I will say I'm glad Greg wasn't on the Cowboys teams of the 90's and say something like this. Michael Irving once stabbed a guy in the throat because he wouldn't get out of his chair in the locker room. Yet that thug is in the NFL hall of fame. My what standards they have.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well....if I was Jet's player who is a starter and has played the whole year I would ask Greg to stand in front of the entire team and I would ask him one question.

"Greg, you've told everyone what's wrong with all of us. Now please explain to the team exactly how you contributed in any positive way at any time this entire season."

You talk about speechless.

Can't support GMAC on this one. Still love him to death but I think he made a mistake that could cost him his NFL career. Hope not cause I think he can play but you have to be careful what you say in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.