First Two F-35B's (Joint Strike Fighter) Delivered-

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I was hoping there would be pic from inside the 'showroom' at the new JSF Training Academy at Eglin. Put in a nice 25 or 30,000 sq ft white epoxy mortar floor there in July of 2010

I

It's On A Slab

Wonder if we'll ever get close to a large/decent number of these planes. Cost overruns, talk of canceling the whole project.

When I heard they were going to use this platform for multiple roles (jump jet, carrier, air superiority, etc), my first thought was McNamara wanted with the F-111....something for everybody (Navy / Air Force), but not a good fit for either at the time. Tho the air force did finally put the "improved" version in service as a light bomber.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Still doesn't beat the A-10 for close support and I've heard that in 1 on 1 against the F-16, it lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
NT16 has and article referenced, too (post #5)...with information from the guys that actually fly...

"A total of 174 U.S. pilots currently have been trained to fly Lockheed Martin’s F-35A Lightning II. The Heritage Foundation recently interviewed 31 of these former F-15C, F-15E, F-16C, and A-10 pilots. Each expressed a high degree of confidence in the F-35A, their new fifth-generation platform.Here are nine insights gleaned from those conversations:
1. Even with developmental restrictions that limit the F-35A’s responsiveness and ability to maneuver, every U.S. fighter pilot interviewed would pick the F-35A over his former jet in a majority of air-to-air (dogfight) engagement scenarios they could face."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What bothers me is the entire stealth above everything else philosophy. It won't be that long before that's completely dated technology...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
hmmm, you say an older plane designed primarily as a dogfighter bested a plane designed to do everything?
The jack-of-all-trades aspect is the sticking point I've seen so many military people have with the F35. It's supposed to replace the A10 and the F16, yet both of those specialty tools work better than the F35 does for those specific purposes...

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
The jack-of-all-trades aspect is the sticking point I've seen so many military people have with the F35. It's supposed to replace the A10 and the F16, yet both of those specialty tools work better than the F35 does for those specific purposes...
http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/05/9...acebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-fb

[FONT=&quot]A total of 174 U.S. pilots currently have been trained to fly Lockheed Martin’s F-35A Lightning II. The Heritage Foundation recently [/FONT]interviewed 31 [FONT=&quot]of these former F-15C, F-15E, F-16C, and A-10 pilots. Each expressed a high degree of confidence in the F-35A, their new fifth-generation platform.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even with developmental restrictions that limit the F-35A’s responsiveness and ability to maneuver, every U.S. fighter pilot interviewed would pick the F-35A over his former jet in a majority of air-to-air (dogfight) engagement scenarios they could face.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A former F-16C instructor—and graduate of the Air Force Weapons Instructor Course of “Top Gun” fame—said the jet is constrained on how tight it can turn (G-limited) now. But even so, the rudder-assisted turns are incredible and deliver a constant 28 degrees of turn a second. When the Air Force removes the restrictions, this jet will be eye watering.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three former F-16CJ Wild Weasel instructor pilots, those tasked with attacking surface-to-air missile sites, said a single F-35A can find and attack SAM sites faster and more effectively than three F-16CJ fighters working together.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A former A-10 instructor pilot said the situational awareness aids associated with the sensor suite of the F-35A allowed pilots to execute close air support missions as well or better than the A-10 in low-threat environments. The F-35A is the only multirole platform capable of conducting close air support in high-threat environments.[/FONT]

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
What bothers me is the entire stealth above everything else philosophy. It won't be that long before that's completely dated technology...
Pilots (on board) may be next. Maneuverability is limited by how many Gs the human body can withstand.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A former A-10 instructor pilot said the situational awareness aids associated with the sensor suite of the F-35A allowed pilots to execute close air support missions as well or better than the A-10 in low-threat environments. The F-35A is the only multirole platform capable of conducting close air support in high-threat environments.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Yah, I saw where you pointed out the link above, I've read it.

That said, I love the phrasing on the quote above - it makes it sound superior, yet what it doesn't say is telling - it doesn't say the F-35A is as / more capable than the A-10 in conducting close air support in high-threat environments.

I'm not going to argue about it - we can both find lots of article supporting our position - but to expect the F-35 to be superior to every specialty plane appears to be a non-starter for every scenario.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/05/9...acebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-fb

[FONT=&quot]A total of 174 U.S. pilots currently have been trained to fly Lockheed Martin’s F-35A Lightning II. The Heritage Foundation recently [/FONT]interviewed 31 [FONT=&quot]of these former F-15C, F-15E, F-16C, and A-10 pilots. Each expressed a high degree of confidence in the F-35A, their new fifth-generation platform.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even with developmental restrictions that limit the F-35A’s responsiveness and ability to maneuver, every U.S. fighter pilot interviewed would pick the F-35A over his former jet in a majority of air-to-air (dogfight) engagement scenarios they could face.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A former F-16C instructor—and graduate of the Air Force Weapons Instructor Course of “Top Gun” fame—said the jet is constrained on how tight it can turn (G-limited) now. But even so, the rudder-assisted turns are incredible and deliver a constant 28 degrees of turn a second. When the Air Force removes the restrictions, this jet will be eye watering.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three former F-16CJ Wild Weasel instructor pilots, those tasked with attacking surface-to-air missile sites, said a single F-35A can find and attack SAM sites faster and more effectively than three F-16CJ fighters working together.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A former A-10 instructor pilot said the situational awareness aids associated with the sensor suite of the F-35A allowed pilots to execute close air support missions as well or better than the A-10 in low-threat environments. The F-35A is the only multirole platform capable of conducting close air support in high-threat environments.[/FONT]
"Quick, the press is calling, we need 30 guys who are willing to say they love the F35 in some way!"

Sorry, that whole article reads like a nice propaganda piece. I also highly doubt that any A-10 pilot thinks an F35 is superior to his aircraft.

I'm not surprised an aircraft delivered in 2016 has better technology than one designed in the 70s and 80s. But specialization is always better than multirole. The Germans were real big on multirole aircraft in WWII. They were real good at getting shot down by air superiority fighters.

I don't know why we are insisting on constraining ourselves with one aircraft to fill all roles. We are shooting ourselves in the foot. We have multirole aircraft. It's called the C-130. Cargo, airborne, gunship, instrument plane, etc. that's where multirole should stay. In support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
And I always thought "Top Gun" was the nickname for the Naval Fighter Weapons School.
Granted, the USAF does have an equivalent.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.