What did you think about the referees in the BCSNCG?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I enjoyed them allowing both teams to play. While I saw a couple of questionable late hits out of bounds on both teams I applaude the refs for letting them play and not calling questionable penalties that could have been game changing in other games. It was a very clean game played by both teams however, and the honey booger still got his due. I think the SEC refs could learn a lesson or two from these guys.

hoopjsn

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I was definitely pleasantly surprised that the flag football league refs allowed both teams to be physical.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I saw one hit out of bounds by each team in which the defensive player had pulled up but still made contact just out of bounds. It would have been a stretch for the refs to call penalties on these particular plays and I'm glad they did not. Some fans would have liked to see the call in the heat of the moment but surely realized they were not flagrant nor intentional.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I agree - the refs did a good job of letting the teams play.
There were some late hits out of bounds that they didn't call, but I think there were some of those on both sides. I distinctly remember Smelley being hit late out of bounds, but there was a play involving Robert Lester on the defensive side of the ball where he could have been flagged for a late hit.
The Honey Booger was playing dirty, as was a few of their OL who were pushing our guys late and putting their hands in their faces.....
But, the final score was 21-0. Good 'nuf for me. RTR

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I agree - the refs did a good job of letting the teams play.
There were some late hits out of bounds that they didn't call, but I think there were some of those on both sides. I distinctly remember Smelley being hit late out of bounds, but there was a play involving Robert Lester on the defensive side of the ball where he could have been flagged for a late hit.
The Honey Booger was playing dirty, as was a few of their OL who were pushing our guys late and putting their hands in their faces.....
But, the final score was 21-0. Good 'nuf for me. RTR
I also saw the intentional knee to the crotch by an LSU player on the same play as when CJ Moseley was injured, but it was not serious and was not called and it affected the games outcome in no way.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I honestly think they did a very good job.

I did hear an LSU fan say that he saw a hold/block in the back on Bama on the Maze return. I watched that over and over again today and did NOT see a hold or block in the back by a Bama player.:BigA:

socalbamafan123

Scout Team
May 26, 2010
I've been waiting for this thread, the refs did let the kids play. I remember an early play where a lsu player hit our guy almost out of bounds, could of been called but wasn't. I liked that. I think the reputation of the SEC let the refs let the kids play. They were thinking, this is the way they do it down here.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I've been waiting for this thread, the refs did let the kids play. I remember an early play where a lsu player hit our guy almost out of bounds, could of been called but wasn't. I liked that. I think the reputation of the SEC let the refs let the kids play. They were thinking, this is the way they do it down here.
I couldn't begin to count the times our good SEC officials have made questionable calls that were game changers or calls that were questionable so they could be reviewed and then not enough evidence to overturn the call. I don't mean this thread to be a flame on our SEC refs but they could take a lesson from this game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the only one i think they should have called was the late hit on kenny bell (?) #7 when he had his long gain on the screen pass. it looked a lot like a horse collar and he definitely was still yanking on him as he was going out. i think they should have at least warned #60. i saw several hits/push downs that happened after the players had let up, didn't hear if the whistle had blown or not, but he was cutting it close.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Going into the game, I was worried - expected a lot of "soft" calls on SEC hits. I was wrong and tip my cap. I wish/hope that SEC refs will learn something from this game.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Heres a question for those in the know... Where did we rank nationally in penalties?

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
In my eyes they only missed two calls. One was pass interference that should have been called on honey possum and a late hit (I think it was on one of our guys, not sure though). I am glad they let the players play instead of calling every penalty they saw.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.