J. Winston

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Lets for arguments sake, assume JW comes to Bama. CNS lets him play baseball. What position does he play?

Pitcher:
I have read where he is a low 90's fb with slider. Good stuff, but not legit/great stuff, just kinda over powers kids at his age. Not that this is uncommon. More or less he needs coaching from a bona-fide pitching coach or at least some who knows the position and what it take to coach a kid up.

IF:
He is a SS/P already, but from what I have read, again, he projects as either a 3b or outfielder. At 6'4" 190 bls. he may be too tall for the hot corner, not sure though.

OF:
This is where I think he would end up. Most projections I have seen have him in the OF. Now, the 6'4" doesn't look bad, actually looks good. The 190 pounds keep him light enough to be able to cover some serious ground.

So, what do you guys (who are actually reading this board) think? My vote again, is OF, one of the corners, probably RF, with some pitching responsibilities, maybe the next Roberto Vaz!!! Just lighter :)

CK

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Lets for arguments sake, assume JW comes to Bama. CNS lets him play baseball. What position does he play?

Pitcher:
I have read where he is a low 90's fb with slider. Good stuff, but not legit/great stuff, just kinda over powers kids at his age. Not that this is uncommon. More or less he needs coaching from a bona-fide pitching coach or at least some who knows the position and what it take to coach a kid up.

IF:
He is a SS/P already, but from what I have read, again, he projects as either a 3b or outfielder. At 6'4" 190 bls. he may be too tall for the hot corner, not sure though.

OF:
This is where I think he would end up. Most projections I have seen have him in the OF. Now, the 6'4" doesn't look bad, actually looks good. The 190 pounds keep him light enough to be able to cover some serious ground.

So, what do you guys (who are actually reading this board) think? My vote again, is OF, one of the corners, probably RF, with some pitching responsibilities, maybe the next Roberto Vaz!!! Just lighter :)

CK
IF this happens, IMHO he would have to pitch or play outfield. Once he gets into the football program with the diet and weight room, he will grow to about 215 or 225 pounds. Maybe more if he hits another growth spurt. Also, he wants to play football and play QB. The amount of time needed in the film room to play QB in our offense may limit his time on the diamond thus curbing his growth as a baseball player and that would be dependent on what time CNS allows to baseball. I think the time mgmt issue is what may point him to wanting to play minor league ball. That is if baseball is something he wants to compete at the collegiate level. I could see a lot of scenarios playing out for him in relation to where he plays and what sport he plays over the next couple of years.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
His future, I've heard, is in the outfield, but the game still revolves around pitching (even more so with the BBCORs), so if he's low 90s and can maybe find a third pitch (I'm a big fan of the changeup myself, I think that should be the second pitch a kid should learn instead of any kind of breaking ball), I'd have him in the mix, be it midweek starter to weekend starter eventually, or a reliever.

I've seen where they're trying to get him to unofficial here next weekend. If he does that we feel good about our chances, if he doesn't show, well...

As far as covering ground in the outfield, I don't really think the size should deter him at all. 6-4 205-220 is a pretty good size for a corner outfield.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
His future, I've heard, is in the outfield, but the game still revolves around pitching (even more so with the BBCORs), so if he's low 90s and can maybe find a third pitch (I'm a big fan of the changeup myself, I think that should be the second pitch a kid should learn instead of any kind of breaking ball), I'd have him in the mix, be it midweek starter to weekend starter eventually, or a reliever.

I've seen where they're trying to get him to unofficial here next weekend. If he does that we feel good about our chances, if he doesn't show, well...

As far as covering ground in the outfield, I don't really think the size should deter him at all. 6-4 205-220 is a pretty good size for a corner outfield.
Agree completely on the change up. I coach middle school baseball and as our pitching coach that is the first pitch we work on. Our goal is fo get comfortable holding it and then actually throw it for strikes as they progress towards high school. Sliders and curves can wait!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I read somewhere that he would probably wind up in centerfield at the pro level.

Someone posted the other day that Coaches Thompson and Nussmeier were visiting with Winston, and I told them that unless Mitch was along you'd have to say that it wasn't that serious a visit, because from all indications this guy was either going to play two sports in college or no sports in college.

rtr

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I lived in Knoxville when Todd Helton played there. He was a QB (albeit a backup) while playing baseball. He played first base mostly but was also a pitcher. He was the #2 starter (R.A. Dickey was #1) and was also the closer.

Rolltidebball

Suspended
Apr 26, 2011
I read somewhere that he would probably wind up in centerfield at the pro level.

Someone posted the other day that Coaches Thompson and Nussmeier were visiting with Winston, and I told them that unless Mitch was along you'd have to say that it wasn't that serious a visit, because from all indications this guy was either going to play two sports in college or no sports in college.

rtr
Respectfully disagree. He will 100% play football in college. He will also play baseball as well. At Bama it would be both sports (NO CASH). At FSU it would be football and pro baseball, where he would probably receive $750k-$1.5 million to play baseball in the summer (if drafted 2nd-3rd round). That's why it has always been, and will end up being FSU. And yes, he could have helped our baseball program as an OF and P.

RTR

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
No, it's been FSU because Daddy has been sold on them since the beginning and is a huge fan of D. Craig.

So if he does the pro baseball/college football deal, how's that going to work? He plays football in the fall, baseball in the summer, but that only works for however long he's in the Rookie leagues... anything past that and baseball will still be going on up until the first of September. Is he going to come in September 1st and start practicing then? And probably miss half the season.

I just don't see how that is an option for anyone.

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
having seen him play baseball first hand, he is a project. got a good frame but needs a ton of work. the pros will get him that work in the minors. football may be his best bet, but some think he is using football to get a bigger signing bonus. i personally don't think he will be able to do both with a great deal of success.

Rolltidebball

Suspended
Apr 26, 2011
baseballfanatic, he can be with the football team FULL TIME from early August until school is out in late April (AT A NON SEC SCHOOL). He could then go to his minor league assignment on May 1st and stay their until an agreed upon time (July10th?). That would give him roughly a month to come back to campus and get ready for his football season. YES, he is using football to get a bigger signing bonus, but it won't help that much. MLB has a new and very strict signing structure that will dramatically bring down the flexibility to give higher bonuses. He will get a very nice chunk of money ($1 million?) for this. Something that is too good for him to pass up. Yes, he is somewhat of a project, and don't think he's using baseball to promote himself for football and in general.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Excuse me, NOT using baseball. He is a self promotion machine!!!!
I am hearing both sides of his "mouth" and why he uses it so much. To be honest not sure how well he would fit in. Our football team isn't allowed to spew that stuff and most baseball players in college anyway, aren't mouths like that. Almost sounds to me like he needs to go to USC or Miami....

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Right, I understand what you're saying, September was just an arbitrary date I threw out there. My point was I don't understand why either party would want that to do that.

And he's not getting a 7-figure deal unless he goes in the first round.

BTW, classes at UA end at the end of April, with Finals the first week in May (this semester being a possible exception). Some schools get out earlier, some later, but it's not an SEC/NON-SEC deal. He could have the same type scenario play out for him here if the coaches ok'd it.

Rolltidebball

Suspended
Apr 26, 2011
Right, I understand what you're saying, September was just an arbitrary date I threw out there. My point was I don't understand why either party would want that to do that.

And he's not getting a 7-figure deal unless he goes in the first round.

BTW, classes at UA end at the end of April, with Finals the first week in May (this semester being a possible exception). Some schools get out earlier, some later, but it's not an SEC/NON-SEC deal. He could have the same type scenario play out for him here if the coaches ok'd it.
He couldn't have the same type scenario because SEC schools don't allow college football and pro baseball at the same time. Other conferences do. But good point on when he would finish school. A pro team might pick him with hopes to lock him down, hoping that he performs better in baseball than football. What if he ends up performing like Jacory Harris in football, but hits .300+ in the minors. Don't remember a more self absorbed recruit who could bring more harm than good to the football and baseball programs. Probably better off at FSU.

321sutol

Jun 16, 2010
Agree 100%, I would rather have him doing his MC Hammer dance on the fields of FSU and not UA. I would add that I am a fan not a coach who gets judged on wins and losses. A coach may be willing to put up with a little MC Hammer if the kid is helping get wins.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Don't remember a more self absorbed recruit who could bring more harm than good to the football and baseball programs. Probably better off at FSU.
I used to feel differently about this, but reading his comment yesterday about not being able to "shine" as a QB with a RB like Trent in the backfield makes me feel like he may not be the best fit for either Gaspard or Saban.

Clarkmom

May 27, 2010
Wow. U fellas sure are hard on kids. I also don't agree with the racial slant this has taken. I wonder how many of you are speaking just opinions or really know Winston. Sure the boy has a lot of confidence but what 17/18 year old kid wouldn't that is being looked at by the best colleges in the country and the MLB. He has a lot of potential that has been quoted by many well-known scouts and professional baseball scouting organizations. I'm sure he is a little rough around the edges but aren't all kids coming out of highschool? Coaches see the potential and know that they can improve a player. I'm sure he will make the best decision for himself and his family. If I were him I would do exactly what he is doing, making his product gain momentum. He is also a very good student.

Rolltidebball

Suspended
Apr 26, 2011
Wow! DiamondTide!!! My post got deleted because of speaking the truth?
Roy,

I am an avid fan of sports and love recruiting and baseball. You were absolutely right on many parts, but we live in a politically correct world. Obviously Clarkmom and DiamondTide don't closely follow recruiting and don't realize that JW has lost a tremendous amount of respect. But I do respect their opinions too. There are so many prospects that are involved in perceived drama, but these players don't go out and go overboard to seek out the media and promote themselves. The #1 player in the country Green-Beckham hasn't opened his mouth publicly, just like so many others who kept it private (Landon Collins, Yeldon, Goldman, Big Cyrus from last year, Eddie Williams). Yes, JW is a Incredible football player and a very good baseball player. He has let this attention go to his head more than any player the UA has ever recruited. He could be a monkeywrench for any football or baseball program because of the obvious. He might be accepted by many of his high level football teammates, but see this behavior would not sitting well with his PART-TIME baseball teammates. It's a completely different world. Think about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.