Joe Namath HBO-NFL Film on HBO starting tomorrow night

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
The Namath HBO-NFL Film begins airing tomorrow night on HBO and I highly recommend it. I had a chance to preview the movie and it is very, very well done. It shows the very human side of Joe and follows his story from Beaver Falls -Tuscaloosa-to the New York Jets-to his present life. For those of you who aren't old enough to have remembered Namath it will help you understand his larger than life image.
There are some funny pictures and comments that you will enjoy. In a picture of his high school baseball team Namath wears dark glasses.....of course the only one in the picture. He also has a funny comment about a movie love scene with Ann Margaret...all classic Namath.
I am sure HB0 will run it frequently over the next month or so. Watch it. You will enjoy it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I enjoyed reading the book, Namath: A Biography by Mark Kriegel. Joe was/is quite a character.

I really enjoy hearing him talk.:BigA:

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Rock Star just like the Beatles and Elvis... What I found wild in the updates the NASA command center was giving the astronauts in space about Namath's status!!

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I didn't realize what an athlete Joe was until I saw this show. One can only imagine what else he could've accomplished if he had not injured his knee twice.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
The show was really good, IMO.

Really liked the scene toward the end at his old HS. He's talking with his daughter, explaining everything in the trophy case, smiling. Then he comes upon a picture of he and Coach Bryant. Stops walking and talking at once and just stares. You can really see the effect CPB had on him and what the relationship meant. I thought that was just great.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Coach Bryant called Joe Namath the best athlete he ever coached. The bad knees certainly hurt him and the life style probably slowed him down a little bit too.

patriot34

Scout Team
Oct 27, 2009
Trussvegas
My satellite service provider was giving a free showing of HBO this past weekenbd. I had the DVR set and recorded the show. To my surprise, the show was dubbed in Spanish. I guess I didn't notice the one I recorded was on HBO Latino. Me no hablo espaniol, Joe.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
My satellite service provider was giving a free showing of HBO this past weekenbd. I had the DVR set and recorded the show. To my surprise, the show was dubbed in Spanish. I guess I didn't notice the one I recorded was on HBO Latino. Me no hablo espaniol, Joe.
Try your Audio/Video settings. It may let you set the alternate language and switch to English.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
I thought it was well done. Like the fact they allowed Joe to discuss and explain his thoughts, ideas, and comments. Really enjoyed seeing his high school team honored at the conclusion of the program.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Coach Bryant called Joe Namath the best athlete he ever coached. The bad knees certainly hurt him and the life style probably slowed him down a little bit too.
When I was at Alabama in the 70's they used to have a video night where they showed old game films. Since college football wasn't on tv as much I had only seen Namath during the Bear Bryant Show on Sunday's which were usually in kind of a slow motion mode. Also since I was a kid I probably couldn't appreciate his athleticism anyway.

Here's a short Youtube video showing Joe in all his glory. At about the 1:22 mark are a series of pass plays where you can see how quickly he was able to setup his drop and throw the ball with that quick release of his. I don't have a stop watch but they appear to be about 3 seconds from center to throw with a deep drop back.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.