Any old timers remember the NFL vs College All Star Game ?

fjc666

Jul 23, 2010
Mobile
Remember whe Lee Roy Jordan played and the famed Green Bay Packer sweep eliminated all All stars except Lee Roy. Lee Roy met Jim Taylor (LSU) head up and planted him about 7 yards behind the line of scrimage. The announcers went wild!

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
Unfortunately (since it means I am a geezer) I do remember those games. It was a good idea at the time. But all-star games are generally a no-win situation anyway.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When the game started, the NFL was fairly new and the college players were able to compete, The college players led the series 2-1-2 after five games. But as time went on, the games became less competitive and less interesting,

The last college win was led by Lee Roy Jordan.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
Remember them well. The previous year's pro champion played what amounted to a pre season game against the all stars. The one I remember the most was the '63 game, College All Stars vs The World Champ Green Bay Packers with Bart Starr, Paul Hornug, Jim Taylor, Boyd Dowler and others. This team was by far the best of that era. The College All Stars beat the World Champs at Soldier Field in Chicago 20 - 17. Running Back Jim Taylor was known for his Marine Corp like toughness. When in the open field, he would look for guys to hit. He loved the contact. At one point in the second quarter, the Green Bay O line opened a large hole on the right side but Lee Roy was waiting for him and jumped the hole meeting him at the LOS. Taylor hit what looked like a stone wall that fell on him and pushed him backwards. It was one he!! of a hit, and a clean one. Helmet in chest. Arms wrapped around the back of Taylor's knees and KABAM ! I remember the announcer referring to the fact that the Cowboys may have a good one in Jordan and that he was a student of the game and so on.... An understatement if there ever was one.....

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember it well, actually went to the 1961 game. Philadelphia Eagles led by Sonny Jurgensen and the College All Stars QB was Norm Snead from Wake Forest. For a kid it was amazing to see that game at Soldier Field, long time ago.

coosacrimson

1st Team
Dec 6, 2000
Alexandria, Louisiana
fatalityinc.com
Funny, I was just thinking about those games a few days ago. I looked forward to those. I can't remember exactly when those games were held though. Seems like there would be some money to be made today. I bet somebody has thougth about it.
RTR

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I remember those games....barely, but I do. While I enjoyed rooting for the College Boys, I can't imagine that series ever starting up again.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Rarely. Only 9 out of 42, with a few ties thrown in. Like a lot of people I always pulled for the underdog college guys, but they usually lost.

The '63 victory remains the most vivid in my memory.
That what I meant is that is was rare that they won but i do remember them winning one year. I happen to be a GB fan so I was pulling for the Pros (at 9 yrs old)

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Too much money involved for today's players to consider a career ending injury. It does show though that if an all star team with only a week to practice together can upset the reigning NFL champion can win an exhibition game, Bama could certainly beat some of today's NFL teams on a given night.

Funny, I was just thinking about those games a few days ago. I looked forward to those. I can't remember exactly when those games were held though. Seems like there would be some money to be made today. I bet somebody has thougth about it.
RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.