Who Is The Worst Coach To Win A National Title?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've narrowed it to three...

Cheese Nips With Newton Dip

Mack Brown..

...and Dennis Erickson.

Now, I'm not saying these guys are bad coaches because they obviously are pretty good at their profession.

But they certainly can't "take yorn and beat his'n and then take his'n and beat yorn."

I'd probably pick Cheese Nip simply because I believe his best regular season record is 7-5 excluding the National Title year.

Thoughts?

sip

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
While not as bad as Brown, Coker and cheezdip, Shug Jordan could be in the conversation. In 25 years as a HC, he only had one championship year and NEVER won a major bowl. That would get you fired at Alabama, but the goobers named their freaking stadium after him. Just shows the difference in the two programs.

Tideski

1st Team
Oct 21, 2007
North Alabama
OK...I'm ready for the criticism. Howard Schnellenberger, because of the way that he opened Pandora's Box in Miami.
Fire away boys!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know I'm biased, but it almost has to be cheezit. Look at his record without sCam - and it's not going to change any time soon. He's mediocre at best.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm going to pull a Senior Citizen moment, and try to claim I can not remember who the last coach was, who won one, before the run of SEC dominance.

In which case, the answer is obvious.

Seriously, I can not remember when the other nominees won theirs!

Oh, wait...........I think UTerus won one, and maybe USC. Beyond that.................uh........

Did I take my pills, this morning!?

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Chizik still has decades left to help his case - jury still out.

Not sure I can vote for Coker - he had his team in 2 BCSCGs, with a late season shot at a third.

Gotta be Mack Brown for me. Who has done less with more?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Gotta be Mack Brown for me. Who has done less with more?
I dunno, texas sucked pretty bad before he got there, and he still has a .784 winning percentage after going 13-12 over the last two seasons - that's pretty strong. He's a whiny little girl who underachieves, certainly, but the worst ever to win a national title?

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I dunno, texas sucked pretty bad before he got there, and he still has a .784 winning percentage after going 13-12 over the last two seasons - that's pretty strong. He's a whiny little girl who underachieves, certainly, but the worst ever to win a national title?
Talent available has to be factored into the equation, IMO. If we narrow the field to just Chizik and Brown for a second - both had teams that went 8-5 this season, but Chizik did it with less talent on his team, playing in a much tougher conference. Granted, that is just one year.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
In the BCS era here are all the winners: Fulmer, Bowden, Stoops, Coker, Tressel, Saban, Carroll, Carroll again, Mack Brown, Meyer, Miles, Meyer, Saban again, Chizik, Saban for a third time.

When I look at that list, only Coker & Chizik don't belong in my opinion.

For those of you throwing Mack Brown under the bus, what makes Bob Stoops any better? He's always loaded with talent and only has ONE ring to show for it. Same as Mack. That being said I think they're both fine coaches. Mack is smart enough to surround himself with some of the best coaches in the business and Stoops is obviously doing something right in Norman because not too many who have left from under him have had much success after leaving .

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Talent available has to be factored into the equation, IMO. If we narrow the field to just Chizik and Brown for a second - both had teams that went 8-5 this season, but Chizik did it with less talent on his team, playing in a much tougher conference. Granted, that is just one year.
Oh, I understand - mack isn't a great coach, I never meant to imply that if I did.

I'm simply saying that it's tough to win 80% of your games over a 10+ year time period no matter what your talent level is.

Grievous Angel

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2012
I can't believe no one has said les miles. I think he landed on a gold mine and backed his way into an nt. every time he opens his mouth I think he is a joke. Their success baffles me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.