What happens to our kickers?

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I hope this doesn't get taken down. This is not intended to be player bashing. However, if this recruit is as good as reported it will be difficult for Shelley and Foster to stay on the field. Granted, things HAVE to play out and incoming players have to earn it.

For those close to the program, any chance that Foster starts practicing at LB? I think he was a pretty good one in high school at the highest level. I also think he could be an asset on coverage units. Granted, his career at Bama might not turn out like he planned, but he can still contribute significantly to the program.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
At 6'1" and 216 lbs. I wouldn't expect him to contribute much at LB with all the size and talent in front of him. Might participate some at safety but I'm not sure of his speed/quickness for the position.

BSBHVR2

3rd Team
May 13, 2011
Alabama
I know what you're saying but IF you have a kicker who is consistent from 50+ and one who gets a little iffy beyond 40, well......

And then there is the kickoff situation. The ability to put it in the back of the end zone is a no-brainer. IMO. (if AG can do that)

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I don't see Cade making a move to LB. Although knowing how much he loves contact and having watched him play at South Lake I think he would jump at the chance to be a on the field in any capacity hitting someone.

Our kickers is the one area of concern I have when it comes to our staff's development ability and I am not referring to missed FG in the LSU game. I want to make that clear, this has nothing to do with that one game nor is it meant to be negative on the kickers. This is the one area I really wonder about. Is it something in the S&C program? Are they putting on too much muscle? Are they not maintaining their limberness? Are they developing the wrong muscle groups? Is it something other than the S&C? Is it a change in form? Is it all mental?

My questions are primarily based on Cade, but also apply to the kicker that went back to Virginia (?) I think it was Virginia. But mostly on the fact that I saw Cade kick the ball out the back of the endzone in high school. Now he regularly doesn't make it inside the 10 and almost falls down every time he kicks.

Thoughts?

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Not sure if Shelley us on scholarship, or not. Pretty sure he was a walk-on at first. Contrary to rumors, I don't think Sanan cuts players. I think he's honest in explaining their future. AG still has to prove it on the field, you know.

I was wondering if people felt Foster could contribute at LB. He's pretty good a kick coverage already. I think there's a place for him.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not sure if Shelley us on scholarship, or not. Pretty sure he was a walk-on at first. Contrary to rumors, I don't think Sanan cuts players. I think he's honest in explaining their future. AG still has to prove it on the field, you know.

I was wondering if people felt Foster could contribute at LB. He's pretty good a kick coverage already. I think there's a place for him.
I doubt it... with the size and depth we have at that position I think it would be tough for him see the field at that position. We get the best LB prospects nearly every year so it would be very difficult for a kicker to cross over and take one of their spots.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't see Cade making a move to LB. Although knowing how much he loves contact and having watched him play at South Lake I think he would jump at the chance to be a on the field in any capacity hitting someone.

Our kickers is the one area of concern I have when it comes to our staff's development ability and I am not referring to missed FG in the LSU game. I want to make that clear, this has nothing to do with that one game nor is it meant to be negative on the kickers. This is the one area I really wonder about. Is it something in the S&C program? Are they putting on too much muscle? Are they not maintaining their limberness? Are they developing the wrong muscle groups? Is it something other than the S&C? Is it a change in form? Is it all mental?

My questions are primarily based on Cade, but also apply to the kicker that went back to Virginia (?) I think it was Virginia. But mostly on the fact that I saw Cade kick the ball out the back of the endzone in high school. Now he regularly doesn't make it inside the 10 and almost falls down every time he kicks.

Thoughts?
Corey Smith went back to his home state of West Virginia, where he plays for the Mountaineers. He's been doing kickoffs and punting, but somebody else is kicking field goals.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not sure how the kickers are coached within our program. But I know the impact of a good FG, kick-off man, punter and field position. Look no further than LSU 2011. WOW! It can set the stage to change the direction and flow of a game. Our defense is able to be a lot more agressive when an opposing offense begins at their own 20 yd line rather than their 35-40 yd line.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Being a Texan, I'd love for Cade to find a way to continue to contribute because I'd love to see more Texas kids go to Bama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unless it's anew rule that's slipped past me, there's nothing in the NCAA rules saying how many players of each position a team can carry on scholarship.

I suspect CNS was simply stating that the rhetorical you cannot use more than two scholarships on kickers - 83 is limiting enough as it is..

RollTide66

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 5, 2011
Watched AG in the Ga St Championship game, Kid has mucho leg. Gets FG's up quickly, and looks to have lots of distance. On KO, looks like he was putting enough on them to get to the College Goal line, but don't think they were long enough to warrant TB's tho. Watched his camp high lights too, and he does put the ball HIGH in the air and can get to the Goal Posts from a very long way away (was kicking off the ground at the camps).

I remember that Cade was supposed to be the savior when he got here, and there was another kid (Christian Kaufmann, I believe) from Tenn who had an academic scholly, could punt and kick both and came in highly touted. Never heard anything about him after the headlines leading into Spring?... have to wonder what happened? (Found his Linkedn Page " I have had unique experiences, such as playing football for the number 1 team in America," He is now studying accounting at UT back home in K'ville. No indication of when he left team but never found him on any roster)

Can only hope AG IS the savior for the kicking game, and wouldn't it be great if we got a punter who could average 40+ yards and drop them inside the 20 on a consistent basis. Dont wish to bang on guys who are doing a fairly good job, but the yardage lost to the punting duels well, appreciate a good walk on, but would love a Better walk on.

Last edited:

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I'm not sure how the kickers are coached within our program. But I know the impact of a good FG, kick-off man, punter and field position. Look no further than LSU 2011. WOW! It can set the stage to change the direction and flow of a game. Our defense is able to be a lot more agressive when an opposing offense begins at their own 20 yd line rather than their 35-40 yd line.
I agree our defense was put in some situations that could have been better because of some kicks, But they done well so it would be a big help to have somebody step up get some more depth on kicks.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Corey Smith went back to his home state of West Virginia, where he plays for the Mountaineers. He's been doing kickoffs and punting, but somebody else is kicking field goals.
Yes, that's the one I was trying to think of. It's my understanding he is doing very well there on KO and punt duties. I remember thinking when he came in that between he and Cade we would be incredible in the kicking game. Then one struggled and left, then improved once he left. The other, Cade, has gotten less and less distance on his kick offs. I do wonder at times if Cade gets so jacked up about hitting someone he rushes his kicks. Everyone loves a highlight hit Cade, but what we love more are touch backs and balls inside the 5.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cade started at LB for South Lake. If needed, I'm sure he could make the switch. I don't see him being needed, though. Shelley was a walk-on. Jay Williams is on scholarship as punter.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Cade started at LB for South Lake. If needed, I'm sure he could make the switch.
Yah, but the LBs we have now are an entirely different caliber. No offense to CF, but I can't imagine him scratching the depth chart at LB on this particular team. We have ridiculously talented depth at LB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.