Poll: Which One Meant More To You? 2009 or 2011?

Which Was More Special To You?

• Total voters

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
2009 was a special year for a lot of reasons.

After all the heartache of so many coaching changes, bad to mediocre seasons in the 2000's, not winning it all since 1992, the 2009 team brought us back to glory.

But, for me, 2011 was just more special for a lot of reasons, too.

The tornado in April.

Losing a game where we were clearly better.

That, and I just thought 2011 was a completely dominating team, moreso than 2009. The 2011 team deserved to be crowned.

Your take?

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Both are special and stand on equal but different footings with me. The 09 game because of the way we just curb stomped uf in the sec championship game, then shut down texas. 2011, because once again we curb stomped a team alot of the media talking heads proclaimed as the greatest team ever.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The 2009 season as a whole was more special to me than 2011. 2009 was redemption and the perfect ending to a decade of being kicked around.

But, the 2011 Championship Game was much more special to me than the 2009 game. The '09 game I felt like we had won going into it. It was just a coronation. The 2011 Title Game was personal.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
2009 because it was an amazing undefeated season that ended an unfortunate streak of seasons without a title. Didn't hurt that it was in the Rose Bowl where it all started and that I was there either when making my decision!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
'09 was the first time I got to see us win one, (I was too young to remember '92) so I've got to go with that one. However, 2011 was definitely a special year, and that team will probably go down as my all-time favorite Bama squad.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

Running the table, beating a favored Gators Team with The Tebow at QB, the first Stiff Arm Trophy in School History and taking down Texas erased the futility of all the years from 2000 through 2007. The API streak, The Fulmer years, everything. 2009 shut everyone up and set the world back on its axis.

2011 was special too, but for a different reason; the rest of the SEC and the rest of CFB, for that matter, knows the next several years will mean an "L" more often than not when Alabama's on your schedule.

For the record, I think '11 was a better team overall.
'11 was the best college football team I've ever seen in person, but given the two, I have to say '09 was more special. It's like trying to pick which one of your kids you love the most. I love 'em both, but for different reasons.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've got to say 2009.
It was our coming out party. We announced to the world that Alabama Football was once again the best in the land.

In 2011 we proved that 2009 was not a fluke. :)

2009 was without a loss.
2011 was with one loss.

sjennings

Aug 16, 2011
Cullman, AL
I voted this year(2011). Probably because the feeling is still with me. Also, this was my first year to have season tickets. Being at BDS for the LSU game and having that awful feeling in my gut just made Jan 9 even more special. But, the one I have the most emotions about and a true want for.......Is the NEXT one!!!! 15 will be the best ever!!!! I hope it comes soon.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I don't know what it was but the 2011 BCSNCG felt more like an SEC showdown albeit a National Title on the line. it was more like "unfinished business". :cool2:

the 2009 game was such a magnifiicent game due to the Rose Bowl atmosphere and the 17 year drought and all the angst that haunted Bama Football in all those dark years....

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
I voted 2009. First let me say 2011 overcame their biggest enemy, themselves, in tuning things up and smoothing out the few rough edges, developing some strengths where weaknesses were early in the season, and believing/not losing faith. In other words an impressive accomplishment.

However the 2009 team in terms of on the field accomplishments is no worse than 2nd, probably 1st, during the BCS era relative to strength of schedule/quality of opponents related matters. Combine that accomplishment with handily vanquishing a Florida team that took the teams heart from it's chest the year before in the exact same stadium and situation. IIRC (and I didn't research so I'm guessing :)) it is the only BCS team to have been in two 1vs2 games and come out victorious in both during a season.

Schlante,
Phillip

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I'm glad we really don't have to choose between them. I liked the 2009 season more than the 2011 season, yet the 2011 BCS game was more satisfying to me. The best part is that we tacked on two more undisputed NCs.

Last edited:

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
2009 was a special year for a lot of reasons.

After all the heartache of so many coaching changes, bad to mediocre seasons in the 2000's, not winning it all since 1992, the 2009 team brought us back to glory.

But, for me, 2011 was just more special for a lot of reasons, too.

The tornado in April.

Losing a game where we were clearly better.

That, and I just thought 2011 was a completely dominating team, moreso than 2009. The 2011 team deserved to be crowned.

Your take?

I'm with CrimsonJag...while 2009 was a "Return to Glory", the offseason events of 2011, with the April 27th tornadoes, Aaron Douglas, losing to LSU on Nov. 5th, then rematching them in their backyard when the WHOLE country was against us....that was much more satisfying...especially after we dominated EVERYTHING in our path in 2011...other than the Nov. 5th hiccup of course.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
For me, 2009. First, it had been 17 years. But there is also this - In that season, the team willed its way to victory week after week. There were a number of games that could have been losses, but Bama found a way to pull them out - a few in the last seconds of the game. It was an edge of your seat kinda season - one that got your heart pumping and kept it pumping, all the way to the end. Heck, even with the huge lead in the BCSCG, with McCoy out, we let Texas back into the game. That just seemed to be their MO - keeping things too close for comfort, all the way to the end. I leaped for joy when we finished that game. I had tears running down my cheeks - so proud of the heart that those players demonstrated time and again.

2011 was special, but it just seemed like it was inevitable.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Interesting question. I didn't vote since they're both special. However, I'd have to give a slight nod to 2009. As a senior citizen I didn't think I'd live to see another championship. Then '09 happened. I was still wearing my '09 party hat when '11 rolled in. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.