News Article: Crimson Tide included as an accidental champ by AJC writer

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
So, iso that an argument for or against a playoff system in college football? The NCAA basketball tourney, the NFL playoffs, the MLB world series..... Actually it was a pathetic article. Sounds like someone lost a bet.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I still don't understand how they can compare what Bama did this year to those other teams. The difference is Bama was CLEARLY the best team in their sport, the other teams were not.

Sent from my EVO with Tapatalk

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Look - it's simple.
Atlanta teams suck. Falcons, Braves, Hawks and other Georgia teams (Tech and Bulldogs) never amount to much.
We crushed LSU 21-0 and should of won the first game. That LSU team stomped UGA in the SEC championship game.
It's called Sour grapes and this guy has a mouthful of them. Funny how no ATL or Georgia teams can even "accidentally" win.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't mind the article. I'd rather Bama have won all their games, too, but nobody wins them all, a lot of things had to break JUST RIGHT, and the result was correct in college football this year.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
id rather be an "accidential champ" than a perpetual underachiever (uga, falcons, braves) any day of the week.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, that's five minutes I'll never get back. I'd argue that LSU was the "accidental" opponent in the NC, being statistically stomped into the grass and pulling out an OT win. Every single soul not wearing purple and gold knew good and damn well which team was the better. That was the reason they were ranked #1 and still a dog in the NC. The only real "accident" was that the two best teams in America were in the same division of the same conference. Back to the purple and gold, those idjits had convinced themselves that they were the best team in the history of the game and then got themselves stomped into the turf, trying to play with a QB who's just not Div I material by any measure. Now, it's "The coach sabotaged us, etc..."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll have a lot to say later but that was a poorly written column by a "journalist."

Accidental in this guy's vocabulary means "won the championship game" regadless of how they got there.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The guy makes the obvious -- that expanded playoffs make Cinderella stories more likely -- but forgets that college football doesn't have a playoff. And if any recent BCS champ is the poster boy for "accidental championships", its 2007 LSU.

Where does the AJC find these guys, anyway?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I truly believe that after a full month since BAMA won the BCSNCG, not only the LSU faithful , but numerous pundits and distractors are still in disbelief and obviously disappointed that the Crimson Tide walk away with the NC!! :rolleye2:

they can't fathom the fact that Bama has won the BCSNGC 2 of the last 3 years, its too much too take for the HATERS out there, esp. in the Southeast region.

FYI, I have not heard a peep or any animosity against Bama winning the title from any Bay Area/Northern Cali papers or media outlets. its business as usual out here. :cool2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The insane part is he's all over the map. He complains Philly won 102 games & it meant nothing. Nothing new about that. The 1954 Yankees won 108 games but finished 2nd back with 2 eight-team leagues. In fact, MOST years the MLB team winning the most games does not win the World Series. Just off the top of my head: 1985 Cardinals. 1987 Tigers, 1988 Mets, 1990 A's, 1991 Pirates, 1992-93-97 Braves, 1995-96 Indians, 2001 Mariners, 2002 A's, whoever in 2003, 2006 Cardinals. So nothing new here. Just wait until they add that "make sure we get Boston & New York in" playoff this fall.

The 1998 Vikings were 16-1 and lost at home to Atlanta. The 2000 Ravens had a 2011 Tide defense & 2005 post-Prothro Tide offense & won it all. 2007 Patriots losing to a team they already beat.

Now let me point something out - he rips us for being the first BCS champ to not win conference or division. He fails to mention that other teams had their shot to do that but failed. Or we could turn it around - every year there are a BUNCH of teams that DO win their conference but don't even play for the title. Obviously one has nothing to do with the other.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
What's accidental about the Giants defeating the Falcons, Packers, 49ers, then the Patriots? That's a tough row to hoe...this guy is really reaching. So old.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
There is no "fair" way to even begin discussion on a div 1 playoff unless the teams that can't compete against the big boys are removed from the equation. There just too many teams in the mix to make an objective comparison.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I haven't read the article yet and don't know if I will because I don't want to give them a click. What is so hard to understand that Bama and LSU were clearly the 2 best teams this year. They were dominate in their games except when they played each other. An Iowa State didn't catch them on a bad day like OSU had. They didn't get curb stomped like Stanford did against Oregon. Every game they played there was no doubt who was the better team after the game was over except of course when they played each other the first time. The second time Bama left NO doubt. Before the rematch LSU some people wanted to include as one of the greatest teams ever. Now after they got owned by Bama we are an "accidental champion".

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
1. Like most newspapers (Birmingham News being a notable exception), the AJC is biased toward the home team. A piece like this isn't news.

2. The AJC has a special mean-on for Alabama, dating back at least to the Furman Bisher days. Maybe earlier, I don't know.

3. As others have posted, we were clearly the best team in the country this year.

4. It's great to be hated so much by so many journalists that they virtually give up pretense of objectivity. It means we're not just winning, but crushing the life out of top-tier opponents.

Enjoy this. These are the good old days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.