Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Favorite sci fi books?

What are some of your favorite books in this genre?
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    Fahrenheit 451. Incredible read and scary to think about that has come true: ear buds, wall tv's, a detached society, sensationalism, ...
    RTR!

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Re: Favorite sci fi books?

I haven't read too many sci fi books and am looking to rectify that. I'm adding Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to the queue. Should be able to start it within the next couple of weeks.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Anything by Robert Heinlein and anything by Frank Herbert. You should give "Stranger in a Strange Land" a read...it's a classic. Also Asimov is also great...his robot novels and foundation novels are all good ones. This thread will end up making me sad because I just donated my life's collection of SF books to the local library.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Anything by Robert Heinlein and anything by Frank Herbert. You should give "Stranger in a Strange Land" a read...it's a classic. Also Asimov is also great...his robot novels and foundation novels are all good ones. This thread will end up making me sad because I just donated my life's collection of SF books to the local library.
    My next Amazon order will likely include Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers to go along with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Those, I think, will be a good representation of Heinlein's work. Asimov is also a must, and I'll get to him eventually. I'm also looking at reading some Orson Scott Card.

I have read all of the Frank Herbert's Dune books and most of what Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson added to the Dune universe.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My next Amazon order will likely include Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers to go along with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Those, I think, will be a good representation of Heinlein's work. Asimov is also a must, and I'll get to him eventually. I'm also looking at reading some Orson Scott Card.

I have read all of the Frank Herbert's Dune books and most of what Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson added to the Dune universe.
    OSC is a good one too...I assume you'll pick up his Ender novels.

Regarding Herbert, you should pick up his non-Dune novels as well...all of his works are simply spectacular.

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They are in the ScFi section but more of an alternative reality but the Taylor Anderson books (5) I thought were really good.

First book is Maelstrom but they get better each book. Anderson is a history professor and mixes the right amount of WW1 historical with good characters and storylines. I don't see why Hollywood has not turned this into a movie with multiple sequels down the line.

Currently reading Directive 51 by John Barnes. Little to technical at times but I have not yet finished the book so I can't give an honest review. However I did buy the followup book.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

Suspended

My favorite genre - off the top of my head:

Ender's Game - Card - my favorite book of any genre

Foundation Trilogy & I, Robot; heck, anything by Isaac Asimov

Battlefield Earth - Hubbard

Dune - Herbert

Ringworld - Niven

Hyperion - Simmons

Anything by Robert Heinlein, though some of his stuff was really out there

I also like some of the newer authors like Neal Stephenson and Peter Hamilton

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyTide View Post
    Anything by Robert Heinlein, though some of his stuff was really out there.
    Time Enough for Love

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

You will love the Jubal Harshaw character in Stranger in a Strange Land (he is a vehicle for Heinlein's philosophy, which is strongly libertarian, but somewhat chauvinistic)

Vernor Vinge has the most original, mind bending sci-fi I have read, and I have read a lot.

Also, you might try some William Gibson, who created the "cyberpunk" genre with Neuromancer. I haven't read all of his stuff, or even Neuromancer, but I like what i have read (Pattern Recognition, Mona Lisa Overdrive)

I am fond of Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" series, and I have bought, but not yet started the Heris Serrano series. The milieu is similar to Joss Whedon's Firefly series. The main characters are engaged in interstellar travel and trade,and the science is largely handwaved rather than explained in detail, but there is more involvement and cooperation with with military operations. The main characters are not overt outlaws, though they are unconventional and run into conflict continually.

And William Shatner's Tekwar is actually not terrible. It's got a Bladerunner-esque dystopian feel with some elements reminiscent of the Matrix (but it predates the Matrix)

And Ender's Game is a classic, but the sequels, while decent, don't quite meet the same standard.

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is a light-hearted romp that is not serious, but it is a hell of a lot of fun. The main character is a con man in god mode.
    Last edited by cbi1972; February 27th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Finished Directive 51 and about 130+ pages into the follow up Daybreak Zero

9 months since Daybreak killed 7 billion people.
    8 months since Daybreak vaporized Washington DC
    6 months since rival governments emerged in Athens, GA and Olympia, WA

etc.

2nd book seems to be a much better read so far.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

The Mote in God's Eye was good so I read The Gripping Hand which was the followup. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle were the authors. Both good books.

The Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton was very good, 6 books in all and I've read them more than once. I was disappointed in Pandora's Star. I will read the 2nd book Judas Unchained and hope it makes up for the 1st book.

I read one of The Foundation novels that Asimov's estate authorized. Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear. I will not waste my time on the other two...probably. Asimov can't be duplicated nor will his Foundation Trilogy.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by IMALOYAL1 View Post
    The Mote in God's Eye was good so I read The Gripping Hand which was the followup. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle were the authors. Both good books.
    I'm a fan of this writing duo...Lucifer's Hammer, Oath of Fealty, and Footfall are also good books.