Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

The perception of college football vs. the NFL

I talk to a lot of people (particularly from the northeast part of the country) who always say that they don't like college football because it's "corrupt", and much prefer the NFL to it. Why do people from that section of the country have that perception?

Do they not think that the NFL is corrupt? I think anytime you have millions or billions of dollars at stake in anything, there's going to be a certain level of corruption. Whether it's things like Spygate, etc.

Even in MLB where most of the statistics are tainted because of steroids recently.

My question is, why do so many people from the northeast have the perception of college football that they do? There's no question that college football has never been snow white, but it's as if these people don't understand what college football is all about.

2. Advertisement

Re: The perception of college football vs. the NFL

They say those things because college teams from the Northeast have been largely irrelevant for 10+ years
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    — Alabama Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    They say those things because college teams from the Northeast have been largely irrelevant for 10+ years
    That's a big part. In the southern states/towns, college teams are usually the only show around (It's changed recently, though, with the NFL's move into the region). Up north, though, college teams were just another option along with the professional teams in multiple leagues. They just don't pay attention to the college game as much as people down here do. (The same can be said about a lot of people in the south not paying attention to the NFL)
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

They can blame themselves.

Sports in this country - professional anyway - were once confined to north of the Mason-Dixon line with St Louis the western border. They viewed the South as primitive and racist & while nobody should deny the reality of the latter, it's not like the Northeast was better. The World Series began after baseball had been around about 25 years in 1903 but no blacks were allowed to play until 1947. I'm just pointing out the failure to expand South cannot justifiably be racism since that was institutionalized in all sports.

NFL was their baby as well. You have to remember that by the time Atlanta got an NFL team, Alabama had won 3 titles the previous 5 years. Lewis Grizzard (UGA, 1968) theorized that the Southern male was emasculated by being the only American to ever lose a war (pre-Vietnam) and that this gave him additional pride to fight for state superiority.

Also - how many teams in the NE have been national powers for any period of time since the Ivy League pulled back? Basically Penn State was like Boise from 1968-78. That loss to Alabama in 79 put them on the map. The only other "power" for the NE was Notre Dame due to heavy Catholic populations in CT, Mass, and MD.

Once they shrunk & the world grew nature took care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    They can blame themselves.

Sports in this country - professional anyway - were once confined to north of the Mason-Dixon line with St Louis the western border. They viewed the South as primitive and racist & while nobody should deny the reality of the latter, it's not like the Northeast was better. The World Series began after baseball had been around about 25 years in 1903 but no blacks were allowed to play until 1947. I'm just pointing out the failure to expand South cannot justifiably be racism since that was institutionalized in all sports.

NFL was their baby as well. You have to remember that by the time Atlanta got an NFL team, Alabama had won 3 titles the previous 5 years. Lewis Grizzard (UGA, 1968) theorized that the Southern male was emasculated by being the only American to ever lose a war (pre-Vietnam) and that this gave him additional pride to fight for state superiority.

Also - how many teams in the NE have been national powers for any period of time since the Ivy League pulled back? Basically Penn State was like Boise from 1968-78. That loss to Alabama in 79 put them on the map. The only other "power" for the NE was Notre Dame due to heavy Catholic populations in CT, Mass, and MD.

Once they shrunk & the world grew nature took care of the rest.
    In regards to the NFL, I do remember reading how the Washington Redskins used to be considered the "southern" team and fought integration in the league tooth and nail.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Another thing I've noticed is a double standard when it comes to low scoring games. In the NFL its a defensive gem and mentioned in passing, while in college its ugly and talked about for months...like 9-6 or 21-0.

We humans are a funny bunch. We tend to attribute to others our own traits. Consider a con artist ever trusting anyone else. How about a forger accepting payment in the form of a check.

Well, there you have it. Think Ohio State, Penn State or even Michigan (including the Fab Five in Basketball) and you can understand why they consider college football to be a corrupt sport.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I'll play a bit of devil's advocate on this and also express some of my feelings on the situation as well. I think first and foremost the rest of the country (outside of SEC country) has grown tired of the dominance of the SEC. Let's face it, it's gotten to the point where the experts, analysts etc. from year to year say the SEC is the best conference from top to bottom without really putting any form of measuring stick on it. It's just now assumed. And right or wrong, in this day and age of college football where on any given saturday any team can be beat. People have become quite angry that it is just assumed we have the best conference each year. Especially seeing how Utah drummed us in the Sugar Bowl in 2008. BTW, no one cares (except Bama fans) as to our circumstances going into that game just like we don't want to hear nor do we care about the "issues" LSU supposedly had going into the NCG this year. Then you've got the Boise St's of the world who routinely, when lined up against teams from the AQ conferences, beat them.

Can we honestly say that over the last 8 years (2003-present) the SEC has been the best conference each year from top to bottom? If so then what are "we" using as a measuring stick to prove it? Because I can't tell you how many times PAC-12 fans throw out their bowl record against SEC teams. It doesn't point to the SEC ALWAYS being the best conference every year. I think that a lot of fans feel that it's to a point where the SEC has been given a permanent "benefit of the doubt" card without it ever really being looked at each year to see if it is still valid. And I can see their point to an extent.

Personally, being a former athlete, I want to settle it on the field. I'd rather line up and show you I'm better than you (even if I do play a higher quality competition during the year) than us sit here and "talk about it". But that's just me. That way when I wax your butt on the field there's nothing left to talk about other than I'm better than you.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I was born in the south but grew up in the north and the north heavily favored the NFL. There were some college football fans, either pulling for ND, Louisville or Kentucky. The town itself was a basketball town. So.....yeah.

My cousin, born and raised in the north, is actually an auburn fan. Not quite sure how that happened.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    Another thing I've noticed is a double standard when it comes to low scoring games. In the NFL its a defensive gem and mentioned in passing, while in college its ugly and talked about for months...like 9-6 or 21-0.
    Not really. I've seen a lot of low scoring NFL games get dogged for being ugly. The NFL has become a passing league.

-Bill Belichick

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    It's starting to get that way in the NFL as well. I can't tell you how many people I've heard say the Superbowl was "boring". I attribute this to the video game generation. We have associated "quality" football with both teams scoring a lot of points without ever considering the role defenses play in the equation. We think what "we" see on the video game is how it is in "real life" on the field. And it's not.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post

I tend to agree with this except for one thing... some of these people are die hard fans of NFL teams like the Miami Dolphins, etc. who haven't been relevant in 30 some odd years or so.

From my experience, die hard college football fans and die hard NFL fans are just flat out two completely different types of fanbases in general.

I think die hard college football fans have a distinct appreciation for the GAME of football itself. Whereas die hard NFL fans don't seem to appreciate the actual game of football. They only appreciate whether the overpaid divas whose jerseys they bought are getting hyped up in the media as much as the overpaid divas from their "rivals".

Which brings me to my next point. Rivalries in the NFL do not exist anymore in my opinion. I think rivalries in the NFL died with the inception of free agency. When lifelong Packers like Brett Favre are wearing Minnesota Viking jerseys..... lifelong Dolphins like Jason Taylor are playing for the New York Jets.... Thurman Thomas in a Dolphins uniform... Emmitt Smith in an Arizona Cardinal jersey... one of the greatest Raiders of all time Marcus Allen playing for the Kansas City Chiefs, etc...

... the term "rivals" just holds no water for me. It's about money. Loyalty in professional sports only goes to whoever is going to pay them the money.

NFL football is just so watered down compared to college football in my opinion. The caliber of players may be superior, but that doesn't mean the product on the field is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It's starting to get that way in the NFL as well. I can't tell you how many people I've heard say the Superbowl was "boring". I attribute this to the video game generation. We have associated "quality" football with both teams scoring a lot of points without ever considering the role defenses play in the equation. We think what "we" see on the video game is how it is in "real life" on the field. And it's not.

I completely agree with you here. Video games have made people think that's how football is played in real life. Not to mention "fantasy football". Everything is driven by statistics. I think this generation has lost sight of the fact that physicality and attitude play a huge part in the game of football, and is a necessary to play proper defense.

If many of these people were allowed to strap on some shoulder pads and put in a mouthpiece for the first time in their lives.... they'd quickly develope a whole new understanding of what the game of football is all about in it's simplest form.