Letter Sent to Residents of Rose Towers at Alabama - Funny Read

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Do these safe zones offer access to glory holes? What is the purpose? Safe to be yourself? No sexual jokes allowed? Only sexual jokes allowed?

I need a list of do's and don'ts.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Safe to be yourself is the big one.
So, as a gay-friendly heterosexual woman, I would be welcomed in one of them? What if I want to be in the safe zone, but still occasionally crack a joke about a polygamist or a communist? Would that be frowned upon, or are jokes ok so long as they're not about homosexual/transgendered folks?

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this sort of self-imposed segregation. I like my gays amongst me in the hetero world. It makes the straight guys in my life so uncomfortable. :)

So, as a gay-friendly heterosexual woman, I would be welcomed in one of them? What if I want to be in the safe zone, but still occasionally crack a joke about a polygamist or a communist? Would that be frowned upon, or are jokes ok so long as they're not about homosexual/transgendered folks?

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this sort of self-imposed segregation. I like my gays amongst me in the hetero world. It makes the straight guys in my life so uncomfortable. :)
I don't make the rules... just saying what i know. :)

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
The "Safe Zone" make me laugh, makes me remember the movie with the dudes in the condom outfits hollering about safe sex. :biggrin2:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'm lost as to what "safe zone" means.

My first thought was "gun-free zones" which reminded me of the litters of bodies of people shot and killed by gun-wielders in said zones.

Just what activity is prohibited in safe zones? Violence? Well, isn't that already illegal anyway? Jokes? Seriously, have we gotten to that point? As Carlos Mencia says "If you can take a (crude word for male anatomic organ), you can take a joke." Not all jokes are mean-spirited. Are we giving up free-speech zones for safe zones?

Or am I thinking in reverse, where activities aren't banned, but become more permissive? Then what level of activity becomes allowed? Full nudity? Orgies?

Or am I way off base and 'safe-zone' just means no one is allowed in unless they have a condom?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Just what activity is prohibited in safe zones? Violence? Well, isn't that already illegal anyway? Jokes? Seriously, have we gotten to that point? As Carlos Mencia says "If you can take a (crude word for male anatomic organ), you can take a joke." Not all jokes are mean-spirited. Are we giving up free-speech zones for safe zones?
As far as I know, all the rainbow safe zone represents is that the RA who posts that logo outside his/her door has gone through some sort of sensitivity training.

Look: not everyone is comfortable discussing their sexuality with others, even as a college-aged adult and especially in a climate as potentially suffocating as Alabama. I have bisexual friends from UA who swear they will *never* come out to their family over the very real fear of disownment. This is coming from 25-30 year old adults. And while that may seem far-fetched, I can absolutely understand after meeting the families in question.

I came out when I was at UA. I'd been living with the same group of guys for 3 years and considered them to be some of my closest friends. Two happened to be super religious. After telling them I was gay, the two religious ones decided to move out and we immediately went from close friends to almost never speaking again. So don't make the mistake of thinking that, simply because Will and Grace or Glee are on TV these days, social acceptance is a given down in the trenches. As Staci will surely agree, sometimes you just need to talk it out with someone. And at that age, in that environment, that kind of an ear wasn't the easiest thing to find. It might seem silly to some, but 20-year-old Charmin would've appreciated the rainbow badge.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
OK, so I feel better about it if it's just a badge of sorts indicating "hey, you can talk freely to me." I was thinking safe zones were actual, physical locations on campus where homosexuals were encouraged to congregate. I don't like that idea for many reasons.

And Charmin is right. The anti-homosexual prejudice is alive and well in many areas throughout the US, particularly in the South and Midwest. I have heard children as young as 8 or 9 years old say derogatory things about gays and it infuriates me. We have educated our girls that we better not hear anything like that from them, and that they need to stand up for people who get picked on, whether that's for their skin color, religion, sexual orientation, physical deformity...whatever. Still, it is entrenched in the local culture and we will have to fight it every step of the way.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
My daughter has a fear of one day having to ride "the short bus."

She also has been calling me a tree hugger lately. I'm not sure where she picked that up, but I have countered with calling her an environmental wacko.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Well they only have to worry about this little problem for a few more months since they are demolishing Rose this summer ;)

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
As far as I know, all the rainbow safe zone represents is that the RA who posts that logo outside his/her door has gone through some sort of sensitivity training.
Fair enough. Personally, I don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors. That's their business, and no one else's (unless they are married to or in an otherwise comitted relationship with someone not behind those doors).

I know I come across very conservative on here, but I'd rather someone be openly gay than to be like that Florida preacher who railed against gays while secretly hiring male prostitutes (whatever his name was).

Maybe 'railed against' wasn't the best choice of words. Maybe I should've said he was always jumping on... er no, taking to task... um no, driving his point home...eek not that one, reaming... definitely NOT! Anyway, you get the idea. (It's humor people. Chuckle, chuckle.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.