Allen Iverson is broke!

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201202/allen-iverson-has-no-answer-financial-woes

More than $150,000,000 earned over his NBA career and he is broke. I wonder how many of the entourage of 50 will reach out and lend a helping hand now?

I cannot fathom how a person can spend this kind of money, but then I don't even wear a watch and the wife isn't really interested in diamonds, so my jewelry expenditures are next to nil. Actually, less than nil since we found a gold chain in a parking lot and sold it recently for $180.

The mind boggles.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
These people who make millions of dollars and then end up bankrupt are complete idiots, imbeciles, and ignoramuses all rolled up into one who then got hit in the back of the head with a rather sizable stupid stick.

Crack is whack, people!

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I've got a posse, a traveling hair dresser, and a watch and I ain't broke. Wassup?

I liked the one comment: "He should have practiced better money-management; but we all know how AI felt about practice"

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I'm somewhat sympathetic to the whole "staying loyal" thing....somewhat. I understand he feels like he owes them. But at what point do you stop and think "man, these fools just keep on taking and taking and taking."? So they had your back when you were coming up.....now what?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'm somewhat sympathetic to the whole "staying loyal" thing....somewhat. I understand he feels like he owes them. But at what point do you stop and think "man, these fools just keep on taking and taking and taking."? So they had your back when you were coming up.....now what?
Maybe he should offered some seed money and set them up in a business. I guess AI learned that running a welfare state soon leads to bankruptcy.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
One of the best quotes ever ....

George Best, one of the best soccer players ever, had a 20+ year career and earned more than $100 million (mostly with Manchester United). Upon retirement he drank heavily, spent multiple times in prison for drunk driving and assault and went broke. When asked about his losses in a BBC interview he said, “I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted.”

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
One of the best quotes ever ....

George Best, one of the best soccer players ever, had a 20+ year career and earned more than $100 million (mostly with Manchester United). Upon retirement he drank heavily, spent multiple times in prison for drunk driving and assault and went broke. When asked about his losses in a BBC interview he said, “I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted.”
Spoken like a true current-day "athlete-without-a-clue".....

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Tracy Lawrence - I Threw The Rest Away

I met him in a dive down in New Orleans
I recognized his handsome face
It was none of my business but I had to know
What he was doing in this kind of place
Cause he use to have money use to have honeys
He used to be society's prince
But he still wore a grin when
I sat beside him and ask where all that money went

He said some was spent on gamblin' a lot was spent women
A little on some good Cabernet
Three or four divorces at least as many horses that never left the startin' gates
Diamond rings and furs swamp land in New Jersey that week I spent a year in LA
I hate to admit I threw the rest away

He said money don't mean nothing is this game of life it's just a way of keeping score
Show me a man who's got everything I'll show you one who wants even more
Well so smoke 'em if you got 'em cause when you hit bottom
You gotta have a reason to smile
You can have a little piece of the rock I'll take a little piece of mind

He said some was spent on gamblin' a lot was spent women
A little on some good Cabernet
Three or four divorces at least as many horses that never left the startin' gates
Diamond rings and furs swamp land in New Jersey that week I spent a year in LA
I hate to admit I threw the rest away

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Soooooo...are we throwing a party over someone's financial demise? Send me an invite. I'll RSVP right away

Mark Brunell, who's still an active player, is apparently broke too. Guess it doesn't matter how you waste it (on "entourages" or in awful investments), unsound financial moves are unsound financial moves.

Last edited:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Soooooo...are we throwing a party over someone's financial demise? Send me an invite. I'll RSVP right away

Mark Brunell, who's still an active player, is apparently broke too. Guess it doesn't matter how you waste it (on "entourages" or in awful investments), unsound financial moves are unsound financial moves.
Nope... the story popped up in my Yahoo and I read it.

I was simply flummoxed by how someone could blow through almost 160 million dollars. As far as your comparison, it's apples to oranges. Yes, Mark Brunell has made some unwise decisions with his money, but at least they were investments that he felt would have some sort of return. A lot of folks lost money in real estate, and with 20/20 hindsight, they seem foolish now. I have read a couple of articles about Brunell's financial woes, and I haven't yet seen a report of him having to pay a jeweler nearly $900,000. Perhaps I missed it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Nope... the story popped up in my Yahoo and I read it.

I was simply flummoxed by how someone could blow through almost 160 million dollars. As far as your comparison, it's apples to oranges. Yes, Mark Brunell has made some unwise decisions with his money, but at least they were investments that he felt would have some sort of return. A lot of folks lost money in real estate, and with 20/20 hindsight, they seem foolish now. I have read a couple of articles about Brunell's financial woes, and I haven't yet seen a report of him having to pay a jeweler nearly $900,000. Perhaps I missed it.
Gold's an investment to, ya know.....:wink:
And like all investments, when it walks away around someone else's neck or fingers, it's gone.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

I have encountered Mr. Iverson numerous times out in public settings, as have many of my friends. This is not your typical story of a guy losing his money. This is a story of a guy with an unbelievable amount of arrogance and lack of respect for anyone other than himself.

Call it what you want, but I think some people do like to see that life is "fair" sometimes. People want to believe in karma...

Oh and btw, here is a few articles on Mr. Iverson...(I wouldn't be too quick to defend him personally)

http://retardzone.com/2007/12/05/allen-iverson-arrested-on-suspected-toddler-fighting-charges/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/allen-iverson-curses-at-p_n_846622.html

When police scanned the identification number of the vehicle, which belongs to Iverson, it was found to have tags that expired in 2009. Iverson, former MVP for the Philadelphia 76ers, was told his car would be towed.

"Take the vehicle, I have 10 more," Iverson said, according to the report. "Police don't have anything else (expletive) to do except (expletive) with me." He then asked, "Do you know who I am?"

The officer wrote in his report that "For the next 20 minutes, Mr. Iverson went on and on about who he was. I stated to Mr. Iverson, 'It really doesn't matter who you are. You tried to conceal your vehicle with a fake drive-out tag due to you not paying for your tags.' "

Iverson then said, "I make more money than you will in 10 years," according to the report.
Black, White, Red, Yellow...I won't defend this guy, no not me, not in a million years!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.