Allen Iverson is broke!

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nope... the story popped up in my Yahoo and I read it.

I was simply flummoxed by how someone could blow through almost 160 million dollars. As far as your comparison, it's apples to oranges. Yes, Mark Brunell has made some unwise decisions with his money, but at least they were investments that he felt would have some sort of return. A lot of folks lost money in real estate, and with 20/20 hindsight, they seem foolish now. I have read a couple of articles about Brunell's financial woes, and I haven't yet seen a report of him having to pay a jeweler nearly $900,000. Perhaps I missed it.
If the man wanted to buy jewelry, it was his money (or credit, in this case) to spend to do it. I, like you, I'm sure, work hard everyday. And I personally wouldn't want anyone telling me how I can spend my compensation. If you watched this dude's career, you know he earned every red cent of it. If he wanted to spend some of that on jewelry it's his business

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have encountered Mr. Iverson numerous times out in public settings, as have many of my friends. This is not your typical story of a guy losing his money. This is a story of a guy with an unbelievable amount of arrogance and lack of respect for anyone other than himself.

Call it what you want, but I think some people do like to see that life is "fair" sometimes. People want to believe in karma...

Oh and btw, here is a few articles on Mr. Iverson...(I wouldn't be too quick to defend him personally)

http://retardzone.com/2007/12/05/allen-iverson-arrested-on-suspected-toddler-fighting-charges/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/allen-iverson-curses-at-p_n_846622.html

Black, White, Red, Yellow...I want defend this guy, no not me, not in a million years!
All I'm defending is that man's right to screw up like everybody else

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
If the man wanted to buy jewelry, it was his money (or credit, in this case) to spend to do it. I, like you, I'm sure, work hard everyday. And I personally wouldn't want anyone telling me how I can spend my compensation. If you watched this dude's career, you know he earned every red cent of it. If he wanted to spend some of that on jewelry it's his business
You are really reaching here Mack :rolleyes:

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
All I'm defending is that man's right to screw up like everybody else
And by all means, go ahead and do so Mr. Iverson! But in the mean time don't walk around acting as if you live by a different set of rules as the rest of us mere mortals...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
You are really reaching here Mack :rolleyes:
Am I really? He averaged 27 pts (6th ALL TIME), 6 assists, and 2 steals a game over 14 years, playing SG at 5'10" and MAYBE 160 lbs. What else exactly more could he have done on the court with the team around him? Other than Isaiah Thomas, I can't think of too many little men off the top of my head that carried their teams the way Iverson did.

Last edited:

coUrAgeWins

1st Team
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, AL
I'm pretty sure I remember an article I read a few years back where ~80% of all NFL players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of being out of the league.

It's probably fairly safe to assume similar stats for other professional sports.

The fact of the mater is the VAST majority of pro athletes do not have the tools and/or desire to manage their money. Money to them is a mere commodity until its all gone.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Am I really? He averaged 27 pts, 6 assists, and 2 steals a game over 14 years, playing SG at 5'10" and MAYBE 160 lbs. What else exactly more could he have done on the court with the team around him? Other than Isaiah Thomas, I can't think of too many little men off the top of my head that carried their teams the way Iverson did.
Maybe for one, been a damn teammate!!!!!!!!!!

The guy was a cancer to any organization he ever played for...

How many championships does he have? How many NBA finals appearance does he have?

The guy was a great talent, but talent comes and goes with time. The man was/is a walking time bomb and a menace to society. What positive thing for our country/world has Mr. Iverson accomplished other than his 27 ppg and 6 assists? I'm not here to jump for joy in knowing he is broke, hell I could have told you this was an inevitable day many years ago...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Am I really? He averaged 27 pts (6th ALL TIME), 6 assists, and 2 steals a game over 14 years, playing SG at 5'10" and MAYBE 160 lbs. What else exactly more could he have done on the court with the team around him? Other than Isaiah Thomas, I can't think of too many little men off the top of my head that carried their teams the way Iverson did.
And statistically, yes, Allen Iverson carried his team. But when I think of someone carrying there team, it just isn't about who scores the most points or has the most assists/blocks, etc. It is about being a leader. Leading during practice when no one is watching (Practice, we talking about practice!!!). It is about being a veteran to the young guys and showing them the "right" way to do things. Iverson did none of these things, and he is right where he put himself. No one did him any disservice. The guy got chance after chance after chance, but I'm sure if you ask him or some of his comrades...The "man" put him down :rolleyes:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Maybe for one, been a damn teammate!!!!!!!!!!

The guy was a cancer to any organization he ever played for...

How many championships does he have? How many NBA finals appearance does he have?

The guy was a great talent, but talent comes and goes with time. The man was/is a walking time bomb and a menace to society. What positive thing for our country/world has Mr. Iverson accomplished other than his 27 ppg and 6 assists? I'm not here to jump for joy in knowing he is broke, hell I could have told you this was an inevitable day many years ago...
How many championships does he have?
That has nothing to do with anything unless we're talking golf or tennis. Winning a championship in a team sport is, after all, more about the team than the individual.

How many NBA finals appearance does he have?
He went to one...and performed well. But as alluded to, his team didn't.

The guy was a great talent
That's all I'm saying

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
he averaged 27 pts while taking 57 shots every game. I bet there are a lot of guys in the NBA that could do that given the opportunity. i never saw the hype. he was an average player that took a lot of shots and thus averaged a lot of points. JMO.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Are you referring to the Sixers or the professional football team worth of entourage? He carried both.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
he averaged 27 pts while taking 57 shots every game. I bet there are a lot of guys in the NBA that could do that given the opportunity. i never saw the hype. he was an average player that took a lot of shots and thus averaged a lot of points. JMO.
And that's a fair opinion. Iverson was a polarizing dude. And I'm pretty sure many people felt that way. But to streamline back to why I brought up his stats in the first place was me saying that he earned his money, and my man Rasputin gently disagreeing.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't think of a time when Philly basketball fans packed the house like that (post Doc, Moses, and Barkley) as when Iverson was the team's star. Nobody was paying to see Aaron McKie play. Nobody was coming to see Eric Snow. Nobody wanted to see Tyrone Hill or Todd McCullough. They were going to see Iverson. He put butts in the seats; even at away games. I remember a ton of my friends packing up in a passenger van to go to ATL to see him play the Hawks. And I think Pat Croce understood that and paid him what he felt he was worth to the team. And thus, I think he earned his paycheck.

Last edited:

coUrAgeWins

1st Team
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, AL
And that's a fair opinion. Iverson was a polarizing dude. And I'm pretty sure many people felt that way. But to streamline back to why I brought up his stats in the first place was me saying that he earned his money, and my man Rasputin gently disagreeing.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't think of a time when Philly basketball fans packed the house like that (post Doc, Moses, and Barkley) as when Iverson was the team's star. Nobody was paying to see Aaron McKie play. Nobody was coming to see Eric Snow. Nobody wanted to see Tyrone Hill or Todd McCullough. They were going to see Iverson. He put butts in the seats; even at away games. I remember a ton of my friends packing up in a passenger van to go to ATL to see him play the Hawks. And I think Pat Croce understood that and paid him what he felt he was worth to the team. And thus, I think he earned his paycheck.
He did earn it. Just couldn't manage it. As is the case with most pro atheletes...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I won't speak for everyone else, but I completely recognize that he earned every dang cent of his career. Dude filled the seats, dude was a great player.

The point here, is that he was an absolute knucklehead and a train wreck, financially. So he's getting his chops busted on the thread. Nothing more, nothing less from me.

I won't speak for everyone else, but I completely recognize that he earned every dang cent of his career. Dude filled the seats, dude was a great player.

The point here, is that he was an absolute knucklehead and a train wreck, financially. So he's getting his chops busted on the thread. Nothing more, nothing less from me.
This sums it up nicely.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
And statistically, yes, Allen Iverson carried his team. But when I think of someone carrying there team, it just isn't about who scores the most points or has the most assists/blocks, etc. It is about being a leader. Leading during practice when no one is watching (Practice, we talking about practice!!!). It is about being a veteran to the young guys and showing them the "right" way to do things. Iverson did none of these things, and he is right where he put himself. No one did him any disservice. The guy got chance after chance after chance, but I'm sure if you ask him or some of his comrades...The "man" put him down :rolleyes:
Wait...what?

I

It's On A Slab

Pro athletes are not known for being very smart with their money.

Case in pont: Mark Brunnell.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pro athletes are not known for being very smart with their money.

Case in pont: Mark Brunnell.
AND Rocket Ishmael
AND Lawrence Taylor
AND Johnny Unitas
AND Jack Clark
AND Scottie Pippen
AND Marion Jones
AND Latrell Sprewell
AND Mike Tyson
AND Night Train Lane
AND Evander Holyfield
AND Deuce McCallister
AND Antoine Walker
AND Lenny Dykstra
AND Sheryl Swoopes
AND John Daly
AND Tony Gwynn

All-time greats across the whole spectrum of sports. Nobody is immune. Not everyone can see into the future, not everyone knows how to handle their own money, not everyone hires the right people to handle their money....it is what it is.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I don't think Iverson earned every cent he made. If you told the 76ers they'd pay that much money to a man who would never lead them to a championship, do you think they'd have still agreed to pick him on draft day?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.