DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Updates

Nothing except a big show for his signature. Front page of the ESPN magazine going into his announcment. Basically the same thing Clowney got. The only difference is that RN seems to love the attention where I always felt JC never really did.
Is this documented somewhere? It doesn't sound like something the NCAA would cotton to.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Is this documented somewhere? It doesn't sound like something the NCAA would cotton to.
I will see if I can find the article and I may have posted in here, but I will look. It came out around the time he was talking about announcing in May because ESPN was not happy with what they were planning. And since it is ESPN why would the NCAA care. they have no authority over ESPN, unless you believe our rival fans who swear the REC runs ESPN now. 8)

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

ESPN may not care what the NCAA thinks, but Nkemdiche surely would. Especially, the NCAA felt like there was some impermissible benefit to him because of it.

I don't pretend to know that much about NCAA rules, but it seems even the most innocent of things are often against some rule of theirs.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Nothing except a big show for his signature. Front page of the ESPN magazine going into his announcment. Basically the same thing Clowney got. The only difference is that RN seems to love the attention where I always felt JC never really did.
Warrior,

IIRC, Clowney didn't excatly shy away from the limelight either.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

ESPN may not care what the NCAA thinks, but Nkemdiche surely would. Especially, the NCAA felt like there was some impermissible benefit to him because of it.

I don't pretend to know that much about NCAA rules, but it seems even the most innocent of things are often against some rule of theirs.
But again it does not matter because unless the NCAA has expanded their jurisdiction the only benefit they can worry about with a player is one that helps to recruit a player to a certian school. No matter what ESPN gives him the benefit is not from a university hence the NCAA has no authority to do anything about it.

Remember Clowney's recruitment last year and we are talking the same thing. Nothing but a headache for any school that is recruting the player and the fan base. Just a big show to get better ratings for their recruiting service.

In short ESPN, Rivals, Scout, and 247 are not members of NCAA and unless the NCAA can define them as a booster or a member of a certian institution all we can do as a fan base is watch the recruiting circus. And for a kid it just adds to the excitement and some love the attention.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

Warrior,

IIRC, Clowney didn't excatly shy away from the limelight either.
To an extent I agree but not nearly as much as RN does. Every time he visits a school he reaches out to the fanbase via twitter to get them excited and ask them to start following them. He gets rival fans to post on his twitter in a competition and after every visit says something about that school to get even more attention.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I agree with the sentiment over worrying about RN's recruitment. If you are a glutton for drama, I strongly suggest you pick up the season 1 DVD of Game of Thrones. There is plenty of drama, intrigue, a little bit of women being naughty even, and some medieval-style action. Best of all, you'll know it's not real so your blood pressure shouldn't get too out of whack.

I think he's Bama bound but I'm not even following his recruitment. This is one of those handful of guys every year that is going to play the process out and enjoy the attention. If you were a 18 or 19 year-old and had a whole bunch of 30 or 40 year-old reporters asking for a quote everyday and every big time coach in the sport is at your door step, wouldn't you revel in it for a bit? I mean in August 2013 he's just going to be a chump true freshman getting his tail chewed and beat by college coaches and players, why not enjoy the glamor life a while?

I'll be one of the first page posters giving a big roll tide if/when he commits but I'm only following at the bare minimum right now (just making sure he's uncommitted). Honestly, as a big-time player in Georgia I would rather him wait until February to declare if it is with us. All the pressure will be on him to switch as soon as he commits to us anyway. Saying nothing could be our best friend in eventually getting his signature.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

So what does RN get out of it?
Tried to make it as plain as possible several months back. Nkemdiche isn't going to announce any time soon, and it should be a circus that goes all the way to National Signing Day and perhaps even later.

Really no point of even seriously following his recruitment at this stage because it is just way too early. Kind of like scouting 7-8 year old Pee Wee games trying to find the next Julio.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

Not to mention that his HC, Conn, has stated he wants his players to focus on the season and not recruiting. Why so many of them have been visiting this spring and some already commiting. If I remember correctly he does not like them to take any visits during the HS season. Last year the only I know RN took for sure was the UA/LSU game in Nov. That being said RN will probably take all 5 visits which will happen after HS football. Meaning he will still take them probably into Jan. So yes a long time before he commits at this point.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Not to mention that his HC, Conn, has stated he wants his players to focus on the season and not recruiting. Why so many of them have been visiting this spring and some already commiting. If I remember correctly he does not like them to take any visits during the HS season. Last year the only I know RN took for sure was the UA/LSU game in Nov. That being said RN will probably take all 5 visits which will happen after HS football. Meaning he will still take them probably into Jan. So yes a long time before he commits at this point.
I thought I read that he was going to take his visits after his HS season, which would put the OV into January as you suggested. As BET stated, this guy and RF will be a recruiting battle all the way to NSD. Trying to guess where RN will go is irrelevant at this point. I'm sure hoping RN eventually signs with us. Considering we're losing some starters on the DL, I'd expect RN to come in and get significant PT right away (true of probably anywhere he goes though).

jnhgiela

Suspended
May 26, 2011
Mobile, AL

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7959846

Sorry! Sorry! I know this topic is beaten to death, but this video is of at least some interest. Says he'll visit MSSt, LSU and Bama and decide in the next couple of months after visiting. Says he wants to visit each again since he's seen a lot of Ole Miss and Georgia... Dude looks like Vince Young

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This kid seems to be putting a lot of thought into making his choice for college. He seems to be a bright kid that says all the right things.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Not a fan of Bleacher Report, but this has a video of a RN interview concerning his position and how it affects his decision on where to play--includes a comment about Courtney Upshaw and his 2nd round draft spot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lay-a-huge-roll-in-robert-nkemdiches-decision
I did not like that quote about Courtney. I think Courtney was more of a tweener than Robert is and I think he will be more of a pure OLB.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

But the fact that Courtney was a tweener and became a early 2nd round draft pick in UA's system should mean good things considering RN is more of a pure OLB like you said. I think this of course is good news for Bama

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

But the fact that Courtney was a tweener and became a early 2nd round draft pick in UA's system should mean good things considering RN is more of a pure OLB like you said. I think this of course is good news for Bama
I agree with you but didn't hear it stated that way from his perspective in the interview linked above. Hopefully he meant it that way or our staff will see this video and set him straight.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I agree with you but didn't hear it stated that way from his perspective in the interview linked above. Hopefully he meant it that way or our staff will see this video and set him straight.
I took it as a negative in the context he used it in. I think the staff is already on it to set him straight. I see him as a Willie McGinest (ex Patriot) type LB, similar size, great pass rusher but can drop into coverage and make plays and interceptions.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Is the plan for Nkemdiche to play jack like Upshaw or DE like Dareus? If he's going to play jack then what would we do with Allen?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Is the plan for Nkemdiche to play jack like Upshaw or DE like Dareus? If he's going to play jack then what would we do with Allen?
He has been told he will play Jack for us and this is what he seems to be questioning. Allen can play Jack or Sam or if he puts on the lbs can play DE. The staff has told him he will start at Jack.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.