DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Commits to Clemson

Good luck to Robert. However, I wonder if his motivation to attend Clemson is based more on his two classmates going there than the Clemson football program itself. It is a natural desire to have someone familiar with you when you go to college. That is a HS attitude. A more mature attitude is which college can help in my athletic and educational goals. Once he has determined this it may still be Clemson that is his first choice ..... but then again it may not.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

It is a natural desire to have someone familiar with you when you go to college. That is a HS attitude.
I agree. Choosing a college because of your HS friends is not a wise decision. College is a time where you put HS into the past and move into another stage of your life.

If you bring HS friends along with you to colllege, it's hard for a person to ever break out of their HS mode of thinking. It's sort of like when a person goes home every weekend to hang out with their HS friends rather than becoming part of the university.

In many cases, it's impossible for a person to truly thrive until they let go of their HS friends and state of mind.

Players using this as a decision-maker has both hurt and helped UA recruiting in the past, so it's not sour grapes toward RN.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Anyone know anything on how good the other 2 HS teammates of his that are committed? I mean is this a 3 for 1 scholarship deal where they give out 2 to 2 marginal players for the 1 to get 1 great player? In other words were the other 2 classmates of his even on Bama's radar?

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Anyone one know anything on how good the other 2 HS teammates of his that are committed? I mean is this a 3 for 1 scholarship deal where they give out 2 to 2 marginal players for the 1 to get 1 great player? In other words were the other 2 classmates of his even on Bama's radar?

Three-stars, if I'm not mistaken. So it's not like what Richt did last year to get Crowell.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

It seems as though that strategy would blow up in the school's face more often than it would work out. Isn't taking two "lesser talent players" for one "great player" a huge risk?

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL

It would have been awesome to get him, but I respect his decision. Nice to see a recruit that makes a decision without all the games and signing day theatrics. Their new D coordinator from Oklahoma probably helped them a lot. I'm sure he sold him on the aggressive style of defense they plan to run.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
It would have been awesome to get him, but I respect his decision. Nice to see a recruit that makes a decision without all the games and signing day theatrics. Their new D coordinator from Oklahoma probably helped them a lot. I'm sure he sold him on the aggressive style of defense they plan to run.
This isn't over Mark it down. Does anybody else find it weird that big Rob hasn't said q word about actually comitting ? And he will visit bama multiple times. Also the rb for them is actually a BCs prospect but karma kid for his team isn't a bcs prospect. Also Adams is @ bama along with Dee liner and walker. Rtr

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

I'm with most people on this, I wish he would commit to UA but UA can't get them all. It might not be over but I see it sticking.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Earle indicated some shady recruiting on Dabo's part. Go back to the Clowney recruitment thread and read BlakeSmash's posts about Clemson's recruitment of him. I recall him saying Clemson fans should be ashamed.

And Jam makes a good point. Robert has yet to make a real public statement. I heard he said something like "I committed to Clemson. I love it there." That's not much of a statement.

Last edited:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

Well I wish him the best and hope Dabo is playing it straight. I just can't imagine him doing otherwise. :BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There is a reason you haven't seen dabo back at the capstone and its not because he told us no.wink wink
Actually, CNS tried to hire him twice and he said "no" both times. That was while he was still an assistant. He indicated that he didn't want to work as hard as he knew he would have to under Saban. I don't know if Saban knows of some of the stuff I do, but, as I said above, I have confidence that he is firmly in control of his assistants' actions. If he weren't, I'd be worrying about a couple we have on staff now...

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Actually, CNS tried to hire him twice and he said "no" both times. That was while he was still an assistant. He indicated that he didn't want to work as hard as he knew he would have to under Saban. I don't know if Saban knows of some of the stuff I do, but, as I said above, I have confidence that he is firmly in control of his assistants' actions. If he weren't, I'd be worrying about a couple we have on staff now...
I know that FSU has turned him in numerous timed including last year and while I have heard about Saban trying go hire him but I have also heard that after a background check and doing some digging that he didn't want to hire him.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009

We're 8 months away from signing day. RN could change his mind multiple times before this is over, and if it's not Bama then Clemson is probably the best choice for us. Clemson will always find a way to lose 2-3 games. They'll be lucky to win the ACC once while he is there and the odds are we will never play them. It would be much worse if he were at LSU or Oklahoma, etc. or someone we could possibly catch in the BCSCG. If RN reaches his full potential he could be that unique player who presents big matchup problems on the OL which is a great weapon to have in big games.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I know that FSU has turned him in numerous timed including last year and while I have heard about Saban trying go hire him but I have also heard that after a background check and doing some digging that he didn't want to hire him.
This is entirely possible. However, Saban did reference the amount of money he offered him and expressed puzzlement that he wouldn't accept. For his part, Dabo said that he didn't want to spend the amount of time away from his family working for Saban would require. I don't know what Saban found out later...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also think about who Dabo replaced during the 2008 season. A Bowden. Terry wasn't the cleanest, and Diddy led Free Shoes U.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

I only read the last four pages; sorry if this is already said:

If he doesn't end up with the Crimson Tide, better for him to be at Clemson than Georgia, LSU, etc.

He can still end up playing in a crimson jersey, though.

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City

If someone asked this earlier in the thread I apologize. Is the defensive team still in tact at Clemson that allowed 70 points to West Virgina?:BigA::):BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.