DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Commits to Clemson

if he ends up going to clemson, then it's obvious to me the kid just wants to be a big fish in a small pond and has no interest in winning a national championship. he will likely be a 3 year player and will go to the NFL regardless, but if he went to Bama, he might be a top 5 pick

crains

1st Team
Feb 6, 2007

if he ends up going to clemson, then it's obvious to me the kid just wants to be a big fish in a small pond and has no interest in winning a national championship. he will likely be a 3 year player and will go to the NFL regardless, but if he went to Bama, he might be a top 5 pick
I agree. If he wants to be the best he can be and win championships he would have picked Bama.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

The only thing obvious to me will be that he likes Clemson better. I could have married a prettier girl 30 years ago than the one I did and damn sure could have married into a richer family! ;) It may work out perfect for him as well as I hope it works out perfect for Landon Collins and all the recruits that are coming to Bama this fall. Who really knows, he may still be the first pick in the draft when his time comes. At this point no one really even knows for sure that he will even make it to the pro's. But I do agree about winning national championships at Bama. It don't take a genius to realize which has the most potential in that category! ;)

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Realize the source. Ajc hates Alabama and Saban with a passion. Also don't believe everything you hear. It will be an intresting signing day for Clemson .wink wink.
Not to flame, but you practically guaranteed RN to Bama, so there's also a bit of saving face here imho. I definitely think anything can still happen and if Clemson has a mediocre season who knows, but at this point, one recruit doesn't make or break our class.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Realize the source. Ajc hates Alabama and Saban with a passion. Also don't believe everything you hear. It will be an intresting signing day for Clemson .wink wink.
Jam, the AJC didn't commit to Clemson. His coach, who many of us counted in our corner, said in his own words that we were no better than third in the kid's rankings. His best friend is going to Clemson, so is his girlfriend. The so-called Bama lock looks like a full-metal-jacket commit to CU right now.

In the meantime, let's all drop the insinuations that Dabo had to cheat to get him or that Robert has some sort of character flaw that led him to choose Clemson over us. It makes us all look small.

Win some. Lose some. Let's lose them with class.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

Jam, the AJC didn't commit to Clemson. His coach, who many of us counted in our corner, said in his own words that we were no better than third in the kid's rankings. His best friend is going to Clemson, so is his girlfriend. The so-called Bama lock looks like a full-metal-jacket commit to CU right now.

In the meantime, let's all drop the insinuations that Dabo had to cheat to get him or that Robert has some sort of character flaw that led him to choose Clemson over us. It makes us all look small.

Amen, Brother.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

That's right, The kid may feel more comfortable there. And even though we can't imagine it, I think Clemson is a good school too. So I say good luck to him

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Look first don't care what you think about what I'm saying or if it makes someone look small. When I was in high school my best friend went to Clemson. So honestly I don't have a problem with the actual school. However, he did go because of dabo and some things they promised and didn't deliver to him or some other guys on the team. The other side if this is how has this worked out for Allen @ cal? Two championship rings later and he has an inept bother playing qb on a bad team. Also I know and have been told that its not over and that this all has gone down very strange and Roberts family isn't in agreement with the decision and that is wrong to do even if it was for alabama. Lastly if Conn was promised a job like is going around (can't confirm this) for steering him to Clemson , that is very wrong to violate that trust Rob has in him. Just like what happened to Albert means. If he truly wants to go to Clemson that great but a lot of things are fishy and dabo isn't the cleanest person in recruiting is what I'm saying

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Look first don't care what you think about what I'm saying or if it makes someone look small. When I was in high school my best friend went to Clemson. So honestly I don't have a problem with the actual school. However, he did go because of dabo and some things they promised and didn't deliver to him or some other guys on the team. The other side if this is how has this worked out for Allen @ cal? Two championship rings later and he has an inept bother playing qb on a bad team. Also I know and have been told that its not over and that this all has gone down very strange and Roberts family isn't in agreement with the decision and that is wrong to do even if it was for alabama. Lastly if Conn was promised a job like is going around (can't confirm this) for steering him to Clemson , that is very wrong to violate that trust Rob has in him. Just like what happened to Albert means. If he truly wants to go to Clemson that great but a lot of things are fishy and dabo isn't the cleanest person in recruiting is what I'm saying
Now come on Jam. Just because you and Earle both hinted at Dabo being a sketchy recruiter doesn't mean he is. Or the fact that every media member talking about this commitment has commented about how his father wasn't in agreement with it doesn't mean that's the case. :wink:

Let's look at somethings from this recruitment:
  • Most - if not all - recruiting reporters (even AJC) said Robert would end up at Bama
  • Clemson offered two of his teammates (that one ups Richt with Crowell). One teammate makes sense; the other? Not really.
  • Mikey Conn was college roommate of Dabo Swinney at Alabama and said that he was not going to deliver Robert to his alma mater (meaning he wasn't going to influence RN to Bama because of where he went to school).
  • His family didn't agree with the commitment.
  • Robert says he won't commit until after taking visits in December but commits to Clemson in June because it "feels like family." (They really are Auburn with a lake.)
  • After committing to Clemson, Robert is extremely solid by all accounts.
  • Robert takes several hours before commenting on his commitment to Clemson while most guys make the announcement themselves.

I'm not trying to make excuses on why Alabama doesn't have Robert Nkemdiche's commitment. Just pointing out some odd things about this.

Earle and Jam mentioned issues with Dabo Swinney's recruiting tactics. I've been told that Dabo u$ed $ome re$ource$ to get a few 5*'s in recent years.

To the folks that say Robert doesn't want to win a championship by going to Clemson, you're talking about a team that won the ACC in 2012. He's committing to a team in better shape than the team Julio Jones signed with in February 2008 or the one Andre Smith signed with in 2006.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA

Robert may really like Clemson and it's coaches but it looks like he wants to be there with his HS teammates (friends) and his girl friend. That may be the reason his parents are not fully supportive of his decision. It is obvious that he would have a better chance of team success (wins/championships) at Bama and likely be better prepared for the next level (quiet possibly a higher draft pick also) but, barring a catastrophic injury, he will make it to the next level regardless of his college team.
The recruiting battle is not over so Bama fans need to take the high road and let the recruiting process work out. RN would be a great asset to Bama but we will be great even if we don't get him. Even though we think he is making a mistake it is his choice to make......let him make it without getting upset with him.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

It is obvious that he would have a better chance of team success (wins/championships) at Bama and likely be better prepared for the next level (quiet possibly a higher draft pick also
I think that someone convinced him that Alabama's defensive scheme would actually hurt his draft chances and used Upshaw's draft position as evidence.

That theory along with following highschool teammates are both pretty poor lines of reasoning, but I'm glad he chose Clemson rather than LSU or somebody good.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Folks, when you read what Earle and Jam Bama have said about Dabo, read between the lines. This guy was part of the most corrupt staff in the history of our program.

This ain't over yet.......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think that someone convinced him that Alabama's defensive scheme would actually hurt his draft chances and used Upshaw's draft position as evidence.

That theory along with following highschool teammates are both pretty poor lines of reasoning, but I'm glad he chose Clemson rather than LSU or somebody good.
How easy Clemson fans forget Da'Quan Bowers. What did he do under Dabo Swinney? He went from ESPN's #1 overall prospect in 2008 to a 2011 second round pick.

What player has gone high in the draft under Venerables? I'm guessing I'm forgetting someone because I can't figure out who would be the guy he used to sell to Robert.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

What player has gone high in the draft under Venerables? I'm guessing I'm forgetting someone because I can't figure out who would be the guy he used to sell to Robert.
Here is a link to all of Oklahoma's NFL draft picks. Venables started at OU in 1999, so the only ones I can come up with are Roy Williams (FS) & 2 defensive tackles that went in the 1st round.

Nkemdiche isn't going to play either of those positions so he probably used Mario Williams even though it's a different school and different coach.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Dude, get over it and move on.............:cool2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

One bit of important context: When Dabo was at Alabama he was a young coach in a desperate era of coaches and boosters gone wild. Given the wrong mix of circumstances even Paul Bryant cheated, repeatedly. Once he got in the right place he says he didn't have to. the same light could have come on for Dabo.

If Mickey Conn ends up at Clemson, I'll be surprised. But that's happened at Alabama and a lot of other places.

As for Kenan Allen, you'll have to ask him if he'd trade the rings for the chance to play with his brother. He made his choice. CNS made his own.

i don't think RN's recruitment is over either. In the end, win or lose, we should remember what we stand for and drop the personal attacks and innuendo.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Folks, when you read what Earle and Jam Bama have said about Dabo, read between the lines. This guy was part of the most corrupt staff in the history of our program.

This ain't over yet.......
If it happens, it happens. But I wouldn't bank on it. :cool2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If it happens, it happens. But I wouldn't bank on it. :cool2:
According to Conn, we weren't even the runnerup - LSU was. He thought he fit the Clemson defense better than LSU's, and he made the remark about Upton with regard to our defense. Conn:
Personally, I can’t see Robert going to Alabama without a Grayson teammate or coach, and Saban doesn’t traditionally do the “package deal” thing. So I don’t see it happening. Then again, a month ago, I didn’t see Nkemdiche committing to Clemson. That’s why we love recruiting. Always unpredictable.
The rest of the interview is HERE

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

What were these "promised" things?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.