DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Updates

Anyone else notice that RN's position description is DE/ATH?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Anyone else notice that RN's position description is DE/ATH?
That's because if we don't sign him, it will be the DE/ATH of our program. A 7 year ban on sacks will be implemented. No more tipped passes. The Jack position will cease to exist, we will have to play with only 10 players on D. He's that good. :wink:

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

Andre Smith was consenus #1 OL but Percy Harvin was considered the overall #1 guy. I think Smith was #1 on one website but Stafford was #1 for ESPN that year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I looked it up and Andre was #3 on Rivals (Percy Harvin #1) and #2 on Scout (Beanie Wells #1). He got close but losing out to Harvin and Wells is not bad.
I couldn't remember for sure or not. Thanks for checking.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Anyone notice a trend here. Denzel had no offers, mostly because of academics and maybe some other concerns, but Denzel started telling schools that him and Robert wanted to play together, that their mother wanted them to play together, and even said they would be a package deal. Robert when asked said he would love to play with his brother. Next Ole Miss offered Denzel, he commited, and when asked about playing together he said Ole Miss would get a look now but said he will do what is best for him.

Next, Robert last season lived with Nick Schuessler. At the time he only had one offer from MTSU, but when Robert was interviewed he talked about how he considered Nick a brother, loved the family, and would love to play with him in college. Ole Miss, Miss State, Ark, and few more offered. Come NSD he signed with MSU and afterwards Robert said he would look at MSU but will do what is best for him.

Now Robert has a 3rd best friend/brother, D Kamara. Now Kamara is trying to get legit looks, but no real offers until Robert says he would love to play with David and if the right opportunity became available he would consider the package deal. Guess what Ole Miss and few others are now offering David. They both just visited Clemson a place I hear David really likes but they have not offered yet. But Robert was just quoted as saying we are both going back up there this weekend to see if they are going to offer. My guess if Clemson thinks it helps them out with Robert, David will leave this weekend with an offer.

It seems Robert is trying to leverage his position to secure scholarships for his friends and family. Again just my opinion but there is a pattern here.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005

Anyone notice a trend here. Denzel had no offers, ...
Next, Robert last season lived with Nick Schuessler ...
Now Robert has a 3rd best friend/brother, D Kamara. ...
It seems Robert is trying to leverage his position to secure scholarships for his friends and family. Again just my opinion but there is a pattern here.
... interesting observation, imo :smile:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006

More like these schools are offering these guys with the hope of getting a shot at Robert if you ask me. I'd call it a benefit of being close to "the man" for those guys. :)

RM80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2011
Anniston, AL

yeah u have a few big time prospects that `do this every year, Kwon did it for Elston and Flint last year, look at their offer list at beginning and see where they ended up. Arkansas St and OleMiss, eventhough OleMiss is in the SEC they were definitely not high on Elston's list, his options became limited.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Anyone notice a trend here. Denzel had no offers, mostly because of academics and maybe some other concerns, but Denzel started telling schools that him and Robert wanted to play together, that their mother wanted them to play together, and even said they would be a package deal. Robert when asked said he would love to play with his brother. Next Ole Miss offered Denzel, he commited, and when asked about playing together he said Ole Miss would get a look now but said he will do what is best for him.

Next, Robert last season lived with Nick Schuessler. At the time he only had one offer from MTSU, but when Robert was interviewed he talked about how he considered Nick a brother, loved the family, and would love to play with him in college. Ole Miss, Miss State, Ark, and few more offered. Come NSD he signed with MSU and afterwards Robert said he would look at MSU but will do what is best for him.

Now Robert has a 3rd best friend/brother, D Kamara. Now Kamara is trying to get legit looks, but no real offers until Robert says he would love to play with David and if the right opportunity became available he would consider the package deal. Guess what Ole Miss and few others are now offering David. They both just visited Clemson a place I hear David really likes but they have not offered yet. But Robert was just quoted as saying we are both going back up there this weekend to see if they are going to offer. My guess if Clemson thinks it helps them out with Robert, David will leave this weekend with an offer.

That's funny! :biggrin:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't even be mad. Popular thinking was that Robert Lester was a resource (if you will) to secure Julio, and as it turns out we wound up getting an unexpected All-American safety out of the deal

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Pretty smooth by RN. Can't blame him for trying to help out friends and family. No one put a gun to these schools' heads.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't even be mad. Popular thinking was that Robert Lester was a resource (if you will) to secure Julio, and as it turns out we wound up getting an unexpected All-American safety out of the deal
Well, let's be clear, there was never a "package" deal in place with Julio and Lester.

A lot of people lazily inferred that based on the fact that they were high school teammates, but Lester was a good prospect coming out of Foley and he has acquitted himself nicely since he arrived at 'Bama. There was never anything more to that than just that lazy inference

FWIW, in every situation under Saban that a legitimate package deal has presented itself -- see Keenan Allen or Da'Rick Rogers, for example, -- we've quickly declined and removed ourselves.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

FWIW, in every situation under Saban that a legitimate package deal has presented itself -- see Keenan Allen or Da'Rick Rogers, for example, -- we've quickly declined and removed ourselves.
I think that is wise, as it sort of makes the coach subservient to the player. It can also bring up the problem that if one guy isn't happy, the other part of the package deal might not be either.

Would Marcell & Demerius Dareus be an quasi-exception? I think it was pretty well known that Demerius wouldn't qualify though.

Last edited:

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Well, let's be clear, there was never a "package" deal in place with Julio and Lester.

A lot of people lazily inferred that based on the fact that they were high school teammates, but Lester was a good prospect coming out of Foley and he has acquitted himself nicely since he arrived at 'Bama. There was never anything more to that than just that lazy inference

My assumptions were never meant that RN was a package deal to get others. Just that he was leveraging his ability to help his friends get legit offers. It actually makes me think that RN is not really looking around at all, just going on these visits to help friends. Every time he visits a school now they jump into his new top 5. He says the right things, the fan base gets excited, and guess what his best friend or brother gets an offer from that school.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

My assumptions were never meant that RN was a package deal to get others. Just that he was leveraging his ability to help his friends get legit offers. It actually makes me think that RN is not really looking around at all, just going on these visits to help friends. Every time he visits a school now they jump into his new top 5. He says the right things, the fan base gets excited, and guess what his best friend or brother gets an offer from that school.
Well, if this is the case, we orta keep it to ourselves!:wink:

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

A lot of people lazily inferred that based on the fact that they were high school teammates, but Lester was a good prospect coming out of Foley and he has acquitted himself nicely since he arrived at 'Bama. There was never anything more to that than just that lazy inference.
I remember an ESPN high school game I tuned in to watch Julio play and came away in awe of Robert Lester and was very grateful when he pledged his verbal to the Tide. He was very impressive in high school and deserving of his most recent All American honor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.