Sunday Game 3 vs. FAU

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
Was anyone on this board at any of the games this weekend? I told everyone before the series that any "Baseball team" (this is NOT football) from South Florida is very good and will be very well coached, and FAU was both,

We was reversed pitched the entire weekend with FAU throwing 75% breaking balls and change ups to 25% fastballs this early in the year. This team won the Sunbelt Conf and will compete for it again this year. Our hitters didnt have a clue what was going on sitting up there looking dead red for the fastball. Not one of our hitters figured this out and actually tried a different approach, (looking off speed or breaking ball)

Pitching will actually be better than billed from what I seen but I wish they would let the pitchers call their own pitches or shake off what they want. Playing better teams early is always a great thing to do so you know what gets exposed.
(Last year we was beat by UCF early and the end of the year we swept them in the playoffs)

Remember, we still have auditions going on this early. I think Booth needs to return to 3rd and Moore behind the dish. Miller back to RF and Hunter Gregory to LF final. That gives 2 LH sticks full time in the lineup and LH DH in Carlisle.

Just some opinions, but look for this team to be fine. Way early to throw in the towel and BTW, FAU head skipper has coached that team for 22 years and can Coach

Last edited:

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
everybody has an opinion - near 45 hits in a series is not pitching better than expected i hope. i am not ready to give up on the hitters or the defense. the freshman at third made errors at critcal times so he will probably learn from that. we only have 2 catchers so they will probably share the duty. looks like whoever can hit will play the of corners. i am not ready to give up quite yet so i think i will stick with coach g for a while as it seems like the last couple of years he has brought us along faily well by years end.

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
45 hits in 3 days? maybe so but credit FAU hitters for their approach. So many of their RH hitters was sitting off speed and fighting off fast balls, thus so many hits down the right field line with 2 hitting first base. Again, I thought FAU had a very good idea and approach and I thought they was very well coached.

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
Was anyone on this board at any of the games this weekend? I told everyone before the series that any "Baseball team" (this is NOT football) from South Florida is very good and will be very well coached, and FAU was both,

We was reversed pitched the entire weekend with FAU throwing 75% breaking balls and change ups to 25% fastballs this early in the year. This team won the Sunbelt Conf and will compete for it again this year. Our hitters didnt have a clue what was going on sitting up there looking dead red for the fastball. Not one of our hitters figured this out and actually tried a different approach, (looking off speed or breaking ball)

Pitching will actually be better than billed from what I seen but I wish they would let the pitchers call their own pitches or shake off what they want. Playing better teams early is always a great thing to do so you know what gets exposed.
(Last year we was beat by UCF early and the end of the year we swept them in the playoffs)

Remember, we still have auditions going on this early. I think Booth needs to return to 3rd and Moore behind the dish. Miller back to RF and Hunter Gregory to LF final. That gives 2 LH sticks full time in the lineup and LH DH in Carlisle.

Just some opinions, but look for this team to be fine. Way early to throw in the towel and BTW, FAU head skipper has coached that team for 22 years and can Coach
some of that isn't right. FAU didn't win the Sun Belt last year - Troy did. FIU was in second by a half-game and regarded as the hot team from Florida. FAU won it 2 years ago but obviously this is a totally different team.

This guy has only been the head coach for 4 years. Just look it up.

Having said that, sure they are well-coached and probably have some good players, but WE SHOULD NOT EVER BE IN A POSITION WHERE A TEAM FROM THE SUN BELT, OHIO VALLEY OR WHATEVER COMES IN AND SWEEPS US IN A WEEKEND SERIES! EVER!

And, we don't need to be filling our everyday lineup with Tuscaloosa walk-ons like the Tullidges and Gregory.

The worst thing Mitch did was take out Cole after 2 innings just because of one error. He's a guy that could be one of our better hitters talent-wise and screwing with a true freshman's confidence this early on and inserting a Tullidge who only helps us when he's walking or getting HBP, is not the pattern for success.

I like Moore as well and think he'll be pretty good in time. Surprising that Miller didn't play over the last 2 games but he hasn't really shown anything over his first 2 years as a starter. New bats aren't going to improve .250 and 0 HRs that much.

I'm trying not to throw in the towel. I get that Mitch has led us to a Super Regional in a year where we underachieved for the regular season and got hot at the end, and to a regional last year with a bad hitting team, thanks to a strong top 3 pitchers and our RPI/SOS being inflated thanks to the SEC's power, and then getting to play a scrub 2 seed like UCF. Well, we don't get those 3 quality losses to Florida this year.

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
Not at all surprised by this statement about our hitters not being able to figure it out. It's not like we have a hitting coach who has actually ever coached before at any level until he was an emergency hire last year.

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
outside coaching looking in i see our pitching as the friday frehman will help, the hubbard kid will help, the closer will help, maybe more will come on strong. the one thing that will help will be different pitch calling. our hitting i believe will improve as there year goes on. defensively i think that after the fall and spring we should know our lineup. i leave the freshman at 3b (last year booth had growing pains and ended up ok). i set my outfield with duga, miller and moore. i dh according to pitcher or performance and try to get some momentum going. i don't completely give up on the bunt. and most of all i go watch and support the coaches and just as the players look at their past performance the coaches are also looking for ways to get us going. this team is different than last year, the starters on sunday had five players in 6 players new or first year at that position.

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
The 22yr Coach tenure for FAU was reported on the radio coverage and I guess they was missed informed.

BAMA has a shot to be very good this year and even better next year. Time will tell if we will play to the talent level we have here. There is a lot of talent on this team

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
How good is Arkansas-Pine Bluff? If they sweep us, then this really is going to be a long year.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Arky Pine-Bluff just got swept by Arky Little Rock by a combined score of 36-6, so if they sweep us, I'm donating my season tickets to the community pool...

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Arky Pine-Bluff just got swept by Arky Little Rock by a combined score of 36-6, so if they sweep us, I'm donating my season tickets to the community pool...
Well, I think we can all expect to be 3-3 after this weekend. If not, I think we need to look seriously at how is playing/hitting where. By no means is this a must win series, but losing even 1 game to APB is unacceptable in my book. This why out football program is so good, nothing short of perfection is allowed. Baseball, as is life, is the same way.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I will try and drive up for either Saturday or Sunday. I had to miss this past weekend because of a family emergency. I am not going to get all up in arms yet no matter what happens because this team just doesn't look as good to me as Roy or some of the other regulars seem to believe it can be and there's no point getting worked up if the guys just can't play.

Last year going in we had veteran pitching and too many parts missing from the defense and batting order. This year we have about the same number of missing parts and no veteran pitching to speak of. Maybe we will get better and win some, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't. Sooner or later smoke and mirrors ain't going to get it and you have to have talent.

It's still too early to tell, but if you judged by this weekend you wouldn't say that we had much in the way of talent.

rtr

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
The 22yr Coach tenure for FAU was reported on the radio coverage and I guess they was missed informed.

BAMA has a shot to be very good this year and even better next year. Time will tell if we will play to the talent level we have here. There is a lot of talent on this team
I think he had been an assistant at FAU for a long time, so maybe that's where they got it. I think we'll be ok and get into a regional if the young pitching matures. We need to sweep ARKPB easily.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.