Question: One Player to Make Biggest Strides

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
C. Jones' progression over this season impressed me, along with V. Sunseri. Norwood and Bell have a lot of potential too, and if they continue to progress they will be a large part of our offensive success this season.
Good call on Norwood. If he improves as much during the spring and summer as he did between the start of this past season and the NC game it would tough for anyone to make bigger strides.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'm surprised D. Carter wasn't the runaway choice considering so many seem to consider him to be the savior for our passing game, like we have no other skilled receivers.

Naturally I'm hoping he has a great Bama career, but has there ever been more attention focused on a player who has accomplished so little?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'm thinkin, maybe with Carter, it's because of that very reason - he hasn't done anything yet, so "making biggest strides" doesn't really apply to him - yet. All others mentioned have at least played, so there is a place to start improving from; Carter doesn't have that. Hype? Yep. Hope? From most on here, absolutely, because if he jumps up and does half of what is expected, Bama could have the deepest corps of wr's in the nation. If he doesn't, Bama will still have plenty of talent that will simply need to produce. Some of them already have, although late.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I am going to go with either B. Sims, Dee Hart or TJ Yeldon. I absolutely love Eddie Lacy and who doesn't like a RB with the size of Fowler. But, what we are lacking IMO is a true homerun threat out of the backfield. I am hoping that one of these 3 young men can work their way into to rotation and give us a good speed/jet sweep ability and/or a dangerous stretch play ability. Lacy and Fowler can run between the tackles, but some of our games in 2010 showed that you can't always depend on your OL opening up holes in the middle, even with a line stacked with great players. A true outside running threat would be a nice addition to our offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm thinkin, maybe with Carter, it's because of that very reason - he hasn't done anything yet, so "making biggest strides" doesn't really apply to him - yet. All others mentioned have at least played, so there is a place to start improving from; Carter doesn't have that. Hype? Yep. Hope? From most on here, absolutely, because if he jumps up and does half of what is expected, Bama could have the deepest corps of wr's in the nation. If he doesn't, Bama will still have plenty of talent that will simply need to produce. Some of them already have, although late.
He can improve from his time at OSU or in JUCO. :)

RollTide66

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 5, 2011
Picking one player off of this team is difficult. I like our linebacker corp so how about Harris, Nico johnson or DePriest.
Jerrel Harris is gone. LB's will be Nico Johnson, CJ Moseley plus those from the last couple classes that have fought to the top of the depth chart.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Gonna be interesting to see who makes their mark in the secondary, that will be the area of unknown. But, with CNS having his hands all over this someone will be a star. I miss Tre already, he was a great leader on the field.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jon Fulton
I would love to see Fulton make a huge impact this year, but I don't see it. The only advantage he has over Belue and Dixon is he's been in the system longer. Both of them come in with more experience and plenty of talent since both were named JUCO All-Americans.

And I'm not sure we'll go with a 4 DB rotation, either. Last year, the coaches said that the group of Dre, Dee, DQ, and Phelon was like having 4 starters, but I don't remember seeing Phelon Jones much in meaningful game time.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I kinda think that the winner of the most improved has to be someone we're legitamatley concerned about. That would've been AJ this year. Seriously. Tons of question marks and turns out leading us to a championship.

za17xl

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 24, 2011
Very true about AJ for last year. The question on this thread is, if you could handpick the one player you most want to see make big improvements, who would it be. In other words, (other than AJ), who would you most like to see go from okay to good, good to great, or great to elite. (and yes, the nature of this question explains why Duron Carter hasn't been mentioned much).

The player who most exemplifies the meaning of this thread is Marcel Dareus from his freshman season to his sophomore season. That's a guy that went from good to great during that offseason, and then great to elite during the season.

As I stated in the first post, the guy I would most like to see repeat that progress is Adrian Hubbard. If, he can make Dareus-esque progress, I think it will do more to help our chances at a repeat as much as anything else (outside of the continued progress of AJ).

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My answer is so predictable it's easy cause I've been screaming it for two years.....Noooorrrrwoooood. lol

I'm very biased in this one though.

Objectively, it could indeed be Kevin. I like Bell as well. Dee Hart is going to be a very pleasant and wonderful addition IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the number two RB position because he can be so good out of the backfield on passing situations.

But we're fine at the skill positions. What I'd prefer to see is Jesse or Quinton or any D-Lineman become a dominant monster.

That's my big hope.

sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Very true about AJ for last year. The question on this thread is, if you could handpick the one player you most want to see make big improvements, who would it be. In other words, (other than AJ), who would you most like to see go from okay to good, good to great, or great to elite. (and yes, the nature of this question explains why Duron Carter hasn't been mentioned much).

The player who most exemplifies the meaning of this thread is Marcel Dareus from his freshman season to his sophomore season. That's a guy that went from good to great during that offseason, and then great to elite during the season.

As I stated in the first post, the guy I would most like to see repeat that progress is Adrian Hubbard. If, he can make Dareus-esque progress, I think it will do more to help our chances at a repeat as much as anything else (outside of the continued progress of AJ).
I hope you're right about Hubbard. He has the tools to really be something special and has shown flashes of brilliance.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Hubbard has outstanding potential but he will have to fight off Xavier Dickson. I think we will have great depth at Jack.
I think we'll have incredible depth everywhere lol..

I can't remember, in my lifetime, a Bama team so loaded top to bottom.

We're going to have number three and four guys who were in the ESPNU top 150.

Not good news for our opponents.

Awwwwwww :)

sip

za17xl

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 24, 2011
Here's an off-the-wall one: Tyler Love.

If he puts it all together this year (which happens all the time with seniors, remember, not everyone develops at the same speed) our offensive line will be able to better survive a string of injuries on the offensive line like we had in 2010. Otherwise, one injury to Cyrus might force Barrett back to LT, causing a disruption at two positions with one injury.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.