Santorum: Satan is working on the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Satan is the prosecutor? and he wants us to succeed? this is new to me. what is your affiliation, if you don't mind?
I am Jewish. I was just pointing out that the Jewish concept of Satan is much different than the Christian. Here is a summary...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1093498/jewish/Can-You-Sell-Your-Soul-to-the-Devil.htm

I guess they are both similar in saying that Satan is trying to make one disobey God's will. The reasons are different though.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Maybe by Muslims...I can't speak for them. But not by Jews. And Satan is completely different from Christianity too. He is not against God at all. A good analogy is that Satan is the "prosecutor" of the heavenly court. He will put stumbling blocks in our path, but he wants us to succeed in getting past them.
i thought Jews saw Jesus as a prophet as well. my mistake. oh well, there is always Jews for Jesus ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am Jewish. I was just pointing out that the Jewish concept of Satan is much different than the Christian. Here is a summary...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1093498/jewish/Can-You-Sell-Your-Soul-to-the-Devil.htm

I guess they are both similar in saying that Satan is trying to make one disobey God's will. The reasons are different though.
this guy did a lecture and book signing at our church last year. it was an interesting talk and the book was pretty interesting as well.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
My biggest issue with the bible is that the God in the Old Testament and the God in the New Testament are completely different guys, but yet they're taught as being the same.

I believe there was most likely a creator of some sort - too many things are perfect imho to be randomly generated, even if it was an alien building a mini-universe in a test-tube. I was raised in the church, stopped going as a teenager when I got tired of the hypocrisy of organized religion and eventually came around to where I am now in that I consider myself agnostic because there is no proof one way or the other. To me it makes no sense that God would be coming down and hanging out with people in the stone age, but can't be bothered to show up on an episode of Jersey Shore and remind everyone that he's still kicking around now a days. And you can spare me the George Michael lyrics.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
My biggest issue with the bible is that the God in the Old Testament and the God in the New Testament are completely different guys, but yet they're taught as being the same.
I am aware of some of the things that people site in reference to this. What are some of the things you are referring to?

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I believe there was most likely a creator of some sort - too many things are perfect imho to be randomly generated, even if it was an alien building a mini-universe in a test-tube. I was raised in the church, stopped going as a teenager when I got tired of the hypocrisy of organized religion and eventually came around to where I am now in that I consider myself agnostic because there is no proof one way or the other. To me it makes no sense that God would be coming down and hanging out with people in the stone age, but can't be bothered to show up on an episode of Jersey Shore and remind everyone that he's still kicking around now a days. And you can spare me the George Michael lyrics.
There are a lot of problems with assuming no creator. I saw a a documentary once that had several of the leading evolutionary scientists, and not a single one could adequately explain how life began. I don't want to debate evolution, but if
someone were to hold to the belief that all of this is random, you would necessarily have to be able to explain the beginning. The problem is that the more science discovers about DNA and the make-up of the cell, the harder it is to explain the beginning.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There are a lot of problems with assuming no creator. I saw a a documentary once that had several of the leading evolutionary scientists, and not a single one could adequately explain how life began. I don't want to debate evolution, but if
someone were to hold to the belief that all of this is random, you would necessarily have to be able to explain the beginning. The problem is that the more science discovers about DNA and the make-up of the cell, the harder it is to explain the beginning.
When you consider the fact that Evolution as a Theory has absolutely nothing to do with how life began it begins to make more sense as to why Evolutionary Scientists can not adequately explain creation.

Now if you spoke with Scientists who work with the theory of Abiogenesis I am sure you would get several who have great ideas of creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

what you will find in abundance with both groups of scientists (and the many that overlap) is that while many will say "we just don't know how life began but we have multiple good competing theories" there are very few that will say "we will never know or can't know therefore god did it"

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
When you consider the fact that Evolution as a Theory has absolutely nothing to do with how life began it begins to make more sense as to why Evolutionary Scientists can not adequately explain creation.

Now if you spoke with Scientists who work with the theory of Abiogenesis I am sure you would get several who have great ideas of creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

what you will find in abundance with both groups of scientists (and the many that overlap) is that while many will say "we just don't know how life began but we have multiple good competing theories" there are very few that will say "we will never know or can't know therefore god did it"
several of the "good competing theories" consisted of life forming somewhere else and somehow arriving here on earth ready to go. i'm not really sure how that explains the beginning of life. it seems that it is merely postponing the inevitable.

"well, if we can't explain how life formed here, let's just say it formed on mars and then found it's way here...."

OK, how did it get on Mars?

"well, we'll have to spend some time there in order to figure that one out."

I know that's over-simplifying things, but some of the probabilities for life forming "accidentally" are beyond astronomical

Wikipedia also mentioned Francis Crick, who, if I'm not mistaken, came to believe that DNA was too complex to have originated in any other way except by a creator.

I would also like to add that I appreciate that you referred to Evolution as a theory and not scientific fact as I have witnessed many times on boards like this.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
several of the "good competing theories" consisted of life forming somewhere else and somehow arriving here on earth ready to go. i'm not really sure how that explains the beginning of life. it seems that it is merely postponing the inevitable.

"well, if we can't explain how life formed here, let's just say it formed on mars and then found it's way here...."

I know that's over-simplifying things, but some of the probabilities for life forming "accidentally" are beyond astronomical
Me, I'm still trying to get past the burning bush...:wink:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I would also like to add that I appreciate that you referred to Evolution as a theory and not scientific fact as I have witnessed many times on boards like this.
theory means a lot more than you think it does.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Wow...you sure took that one in an unexpected direction, but since I don't "manscape", I can't relate....
meh, discussion was starting to get pretty deep

for the record, I wouldn't know either, except some retard I was in basic with thought it would be a great idea, and we all heard the screaming

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And that clearly applies to what he said. :rolleyes:

In the same spirit, I will henceforth lump people who take tylenol for headaches in with meth heads and heroine addicts.
Uh, no, it does not apply to what he said in that post, specifically, to what I made bold, which was (since you obviously didn't read it the first time :rolleyes:)...I'm not afraid of people of faith. Not real hard to understand.....unless you just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.