Santorum: Satan is working on the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm guessing you don't really understand much about probability either.....
i understand probability just fine. like i said before, probability has nothing to do with it, it is a red herring.

your previous statement implies that you do not understand how hypothesis testing and the scientific method work, hence my questioning of your understanding of the process of science.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So, I'm going to try to understand your perspective on the process of evolution. Then I have to go. Evolution can explain the existence of all the diversity that exists on this planet. We can list a series of steps that could possibly have led to the creation of that particular species' characteristics, and then even though there is no proof of this, we must accept it as fact. Then, when someone uses our own terminology to question why the beetle's depressions were not eliminated by the evolutionary process, we say, oh, it was okay to keep those because they were beneficial (even though we don't know why they were beneficial) and then later, we say OH, evolution takes care of the perceived problem with probability by weeding out the nonviable mutations. The depressions in the beetle are nonviable unless it is leading to chambers that will hold chemicals that can't mix. Are you going to tell me that evolution somehow "knew" these depressions would be viable down the line, so it hung onto the depressions? And then there were the chambers that would eventually hold the chemicals. Why do we need chambers if there are not dangerous chemicals. They are "nonviable" unless evolution "knew" that they would be needed later. Is anyone else having a problem with evolution "knowing" something besides me?

As I said, I've gotta go. I'll check out your responses later.
here you go

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
no, proponents of ID would say, OH! A truck. Someone must have designed it, built it, and then, possibly somebody else, drove it here. Evolutionists would have us believe that it found itself there by natural processes
I never understood why the design and construction of the "truck" couldn't be gradual "natural processes"

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
IF you have time how about explaining to me how evolution worked on turning monkeys into men while still leaving some monkeys original?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I never understood why the design and construction of the "truck" couldn't be gradual "natural processes"
Design and construction imply intent for which there is insufficient evidence. Postulating a designer raises more questions than it answers. Occam's Razor

IF you have time how about explaining to me how evolution worked on turning monkeys into men while still leaving some monkeys original?
The short answer is that geographic isolation kept populations separate, enabling different selection pressures to create divergence in genetic material until such a time as they could occupy separate ecological niches. Long answer here: "But if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

Somebody explain why human males have nipples.
The short answer is that it is evolutionarily efficient for males and females to share traits. Female nipples confer a large advantage, while male nipples do not confer a disadvantage significant enough for them to be selected against. Long answer here: Why do men have nipples?

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Design and construction imply intent for which there is insufficient evidence. Postulating a designer raises more questions than it answers. Occam's Razor
Yeah dude I know you are atheist, wasn't trying to convince you or nothin :) . I'm saying that, as someone who does believe in God, I have never seen evolution as a challenge to my religious beliefs, just an explanation for how it happened. I don't understand the need to tear down the theory.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Never ceases to amaze how one little comment in an entire paragraph can spawn an extra 8 pages of conversation in a thread. That's part of the reason I love forums, lol

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Never ceases to amaze how one little comment in an entire paragraph can spawn an extra 8 pages of conversation in a thread. That's part of the reason I love forums, lol
I wish I had more time to spend on this forum. You guys/gals seem to have found a balance between serious discussion and fun. Not too many posters here seem to take themselves too seriously.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Back to this fire farting beetle thing. I'm curious how the beetle, or its body, decided or otherwise learned that it was these chemicals in its body that predators disliked and not something else, thus sparking the series of mutations that created more of the chemicals.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Back to this fire farting beetle thing. I'm curious how the beetle, or its body, decided or otherwise learned that it was these chemicals in its body that predators disliked and not something else, thus sparking the series of mutations that created more of the chemicals.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It is tempting when speaking of evolutionary processes to ascribe knowledge or intentionality to them, even if we believe/know that is inappropriate.

In the case of the repellent chemicals, the quinones secreted originally would have had the benefit of strengthening the cuticle. Variations on these chemicals (there are many variants) have a repellent effect to predators. Those mutations that were more repellent would be selected for, without any knowledge or intentionality.

Also, keep in mind that this is not intended as a definitive account of how these features evolved. It is merely a plausible explanation.

I bet a creationism vs evolution thread would melt the server.
They always start as something else. The last one inspired my avatar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.