How's this for a powerful recruiting argument and that no other program can make.....

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Come to Alabama and win a NC, every class Coach Saban has signed at the Capstone has accomplished that feat and it's a claim that no other school can make. Excluding the just signed 2011 class of course, but who would bet against them? :wink:

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What about this?

"Between last year's draft and this year's, a player from every position (maybe not TE or kicker) from Alabama has been drafted. Come here, and you can keep it going."

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I was reading the comments of an AJC article (yeah, I know) on Tyren Jones' commitment, and there was one that was hilarious.

Rusty, only 9 of the 30-35 he recruited 4 years ago got invited to the combine. Is he going to sell the HS kids on these odds?
ONLY NINE of the 32 recruits got invites to the NFL Combine. How in the world could anyone "sell the odds" of ONLY >28% of ONE RECRUITING CLASS getting invites to the Combine? I mean the GOOD recruiters have at least 50% of their recruiting classes get invites right? And that guy clearly thought that was such a good insult. Sometimes I wonder about people :rofl:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was reading the comments of an AJC article (yeah, I know) on Tyren Jones' commitment, and there was one that was hilarious.

ONLY NINE of the 32 recruits got invites to the NFL Combine. How in the world could anyone "sell the odds" of ONLY >28% of ONE RECRUITING CLASS getting invites to the Combine? I mean the GOOD recruiters have at least 50% of their recruiting classes get invites right? And that guy clearly thought that was such a good insult. Sometimes I wonder about people :rofl:
I took the comment as to mean the 2008 class, so I did a little breakdown of that class. Here we go:
Still on Campus
  1. Undra Billingsley
  2. Barrett Jones – Will get a combine invite
  3. Robert Lester – Will get a combine invite
  4. Tyler Love
  5. Damion Square – Possibly an invite
  6. Michael Williams – Possibly an invite
Transfers/Didn’t Get to Campus
  1. Jermaine Preyear
  2. Melvin Ray
  3. BJ Scott
  4. Chris Jackson
  5. Star Jackson
  6. Alonzo Lawrence
  7. Corey Smith
  8. Robby Green
  9. Glenn Harbin
  10. Devonta Bolton
  11. Destin Hood
  12. Ivan Matchett
  13. Brandon Lewis
Graduated/Declared for NFL
  1. Mark Barron – Combine invite
  2. Terrence Cody – Combine invite
  3. Marcel Dareus – Combine invite
  4. Jerrell Harris
  5. Don’t’a Hightower – Combine invite
  6. Mark Ingram – Combine invite
  7. Julio Jones – Combine invite
  8. Kerry Murphy
  9. Brad Smelley
  10. Courtney Upshaw – Combine invite
  11. Jon Michael Boswell
  12. Chris Jordan
Unsure about
  1. Wesley Neighbors
So the percentages of the 32 signees in 2008:

18.75% are still on campus
40.625% transferred or never got to campus
37.5% graduated or declared early for the draft
3.125% is Wesley Neighbors because I'm not sure what happened to him. (Earle, do you know?)
28.125% have or will surely get a combine invite; this doesn't include possible invites for Billingsley, Love, Square, or Williams, which would up the percentage of course.

If opposing fans won't to use those percentages against us, let them. When was the last time Mark Richt had 28% of a recruiting class get combine invites?

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Yeah that comment made no sense I saw it and just laughed. We had the most invites to the combine so they are just insulting their own coach. Comments on the AJC are just ridiculous.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Yeah that comment made no sense I saw it and just laughed. We had the most invites to the combine so they are just insulting their own coach. Comments on the AJC are just ridiculous.
Everything I article I read about Alabama football on the AJC almost always come with some snide remark or comment. I'm not speaking about the village idiots, I'm speaking about the journalist and those being interviewed.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

since only about 3% of players in general will make it to the combine, Saban bringing you in means you have 9 times better odds than the average.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Everything I article I read about Alabama football on the AJC almost always come with some snide remark or comment. I'm not speaking about the village idiots, I'm speaking about the journalist and those being interviewed.
True. Seems to have gotten worse lately. They constantly link back to slam piece articles where there really is no reason for it.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Of course no other program can say it, because we won it this year. I get your point though. We are the king of college football.

Us winning it last year wouldn't prevent another school from doing it since it's a 4 year window. My point was that all of Coach Saban's classes from 2007 thru 2011 have won a NC.

wrathin

Suspended
Oct 30, 2011
Come to Alabama and win a NC, every class Coach Saban has signed at the Capstone has accomplished that feat and it's a claim that no other school can make. Excluding the just signed 2011 class of course, but who would bet against them? :wink:
Actually if LSU had beat us on the 9th every player since 2000 that stayed 4 years would have a ring. Just saying.

wrathin

Suspended
Oct 30, 2011
Us winning it last year wouldn't prevent another school from doing it since it's a 4 year window. My point was that all of Coach Saban's classes from 2007 thru 2011 have won a NC.
So yes us winning it last year did prevent LSU from doing it.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
So his pitch sould be,,,, " if you come here, in four years there's an outside chance you could be in the first Alabama class I've ever had NOT to win the championship.
Long odds but,,, anything can happen.:biggrin:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Someone count up how many years straight we will have a team with someone on it with a national championship ring. I'm confusing myself. You can take a 5th year Sr. in 09 and go back to his true freshman year and go forward to this year's redshirted freshmen's Sr. year. I think. That's quite a few years straight with teams with someone sporting a national championship ring.

You can probably file this under dumb stats...but I thought it was interesting.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
No other teams 2011 class could have won a national championship since we won it this year, therefore as of now we are the only team in the nation that could make the claim that everyone of our recruiting classes has won a national title. That was my point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.