Punter Jimmy Hutchinson Commits to Auburn

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Not sure why this warrants any attention. The long snapper was a very strange deal, obviously, but giving kickers and punters a scholarship is pretty common practice these days. We've signed several under Saban, and will probably sign another if Griffith doesn't pan out.

Anybody who doesn't think a punter can deserve a scholarship needs to put on some tape of a guy like Chaz Henry or Brad Wing, a good punter is an absolute weapon. Coaching staffs agree, even in an era of reduced rosters. Obviously you need to fill really good about a kicker / punter to give him a scholarship, but if you do feel that way then there is really no reason not to. And when you've got a good bit of space under the 85 like Auburn does, it's an easier decision.

The only thing of interest I can find with this one is that Auburn has traditionally been very good on special teams, even while doing it mostly with walk-ons. This is kind of a break from that. Of course, the kicker Chizik gave a scholarship to a couple of years back (Parkey) has turned out to be a good addition, and this kid might as well.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Not sure why this warrants any attention. The long snapper was a very strange deal, obviously, but giving kickers and punters a scholarship is pretty common practice these days. We've signed several under Saban, and will probably sign another if Griffith doesn't pan out.

Anybody who doesn't think a punter can deserve a scholarship needs to put on some tape of a guy like Chaz Henry or Brad Wing, a good punter is an absolute weapon. Coaching staffs agree, even in an era of reduced rosters. Obviously you need to fill really good about a kicker / punter to give him a scholarship, but if you do feel that way then there is really no reason not to. And when you've got a good bit of space under the 85 like Auburn does, it's an easier decision.

The only thing of interest I can find with this one is that Auburn has traditionally been very good on special teams, even while doing it mostly with walk-ons. This is kind of a break from that. Of course, the kicker Chizik gave a scholarship to a couple of years back (Parkey) has turned out to be a good addition, and this kid might as well.
To me it's only a big deal because of the 4-year scholarship deal. To give a punter a guaranteed 4 year scholarship is a big risk.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The 4 year scholsrship is nothing but a PR ploy. It's still conditional.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but if he's gone in 2 years they'll still have to explain it away. Same with every player who leaves. au has had more attrition than any team in the SEC over the last 5 years. Unbelievable they'd agree to this.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, but if he's gone in 2 years they'll still have to explain it away. Same with every player who leaves. au has had more attrition than any team in the SEC over the last 5 years. Unbelievable they'd agree to this.
You're just making too much of the four-year scholarships. Schools will use contractual language to protect themselves, just like any party with superior knowledge and bargaining power, and in any event no one ever has to legitimately "explain it away" when it comes to transfers, medical scholarships, and off-field issues. You just announce it and move on. Maybe there's an article or two on it on al.com or in the AJC, maybe a rival message board goes into an uproar, who cares? Nothing changes moving forward.

Besides, again, space is not even a real issue for Auburn at this point. They are well below the 85 as it is, and with the hard(er) 25-cap it's going to take them some time before they are bumping back up against that 85 ceiling. And if their attrition issues keep up, they'll never have to worry about it. There are a lot of ifs involved before any of this becomes a meaningful concern for them.

AU has a lot of concerns right now and a lot of problem areas. Giving an alleged four-year scholarship to a punter, however, is not one of them.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You're just making too much of the four-year scholarships. Schools will use contractual language to protect themselves, just like any party with superior knowledge and bargaining power, and in any event no one ever has to legitimately "explain it away" when it comes to transfers, medical scholarships, and off-field issues. You just announce it and move on. Maybe there's an article or two on it on al.com or in the AJC, maybe a rival message board goes into an uproar, who cares? Nothing changes moving forward.
If that's really the case, then who cares? If there's no difference between 1 year and 4 year scholarships, then why such an uproar? If the only difference is semantics, then why is there such a huge national discussion? Are there that many stupid people out there? If so, I weep for the future.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Let's be kind here folks. Auburn has a recruiting plan. This year they signed their long snapper and next year will be a punter. I suspect in 2014 they will sign a holder!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
If that's really the case, then who cares?
BET, I hope ^that^ didn't come off as an attack on you, it wasn't mean to be at all.

I just get frustrated hearing about this crap. It's not reform if it's not really doing anything different. If it's all just lip-service, who are they trying to impress? I really mean it when I say I don't understand. Do the PTB really think that the general public is that stupid? (I ask this only if there isn't a difference between a 4 year and a 1 year scholarship.) If they truly are the same thing, then what's the point? Are people that stupid to not see through it?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
They actually need some retention in order to improve their RPI Score. they are bordering the penalty zone with their current score. Any lower and they will be losing scholarships anyways.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.