Combine grades...

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I watched the clip and what I see are glancing blows where nobody gets wrapped up and stopped right now. That would be "physical" He does not finish tackles and starts poncing around after holding up a player while someone else makes the tackle. He's talented and he has speed, but he does not wrap up players, plant his helmet in their chest and slam them to the ground.
you do realize that there wasn't a single assisted tackle in that video right?... I mean i get where you're coming from, but all those were solo tackles. all.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I thought this was a very interesting read on what scouts had to say to Bob McGinn here about several of these kids... particularly RG3, Andrew Luck, and Trent Richardson.

Also the part about Courtney Upshaw and supposedly scoring a 9 on the Wonderlic.

I think it's also interesting that NFL scouts take a genuine interest into the lineage of a program's past prospects at given positions and develope "phobias", if you will. They're all scared to death of Clemson and North Carolina defensive lineman.

Very good read.....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
The two highest grading players in the SEC, even without Trent, came from Alabama (Dre at 92 and Barron at 91.7). Upshaw was 6th out of the SEC guys, and Hightower 7th. Dre and Barron were the top at both their positions, while Upshaw was the #3 LB (#2 OLB) and Hightower was the #6 LB (#2 ILB). Chapman was #10 DL (#7 DT). Trent would've easily been the top RB, as no RB graded higher than 87 (Lamar Miller - Miami).

Highest graded player? Andew Luck (97)

Lowest graded QB? Jordan Jefferson.

Didn't we have a really good offensive lineman graduate? Did he not participate?

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I watched the clip and what I see are glancing blows where nobody gets wrapped up and stopped right now. That would be "physical" He does not finish tackles and starts poncing around after holding up a player while someone else makes the tackle. He's talented and he has speed, but he does not wrap up players, plant his helmet in their chest and slam them to the ground.
You might want to look up the term "glancing blow". None of those hits were glancing in the slightest.

Also, if you notice, he does wrap up players. He basically wrapped up the tougher, stronger RBs - and simply put the WRs on their rear ends.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Although Hightower doesn't quite possess the speed to be a true sideline-to-sideline inside backer or be the sole tackler in the middle of a 3-4 defense, he uses his instincts well and remains in position." - And Hightower runs a 4.62... :D

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
"Although Hightower doesn't quite possess the speed to be a true sideline-to-sideline inside backer or be the sole tackler in the middle of a 3-4 defense, he uses his instincts well and remains in position." - And Hightower runs a 4.62... :D
That's got to be the goofiest criticism imaginable.

Even if you assume that he doesn't have that kind of speed (which really isn't true given the 4.62 time), exactly what interior 3-4 linebacker / rush end on passing downs needs sideline-to-sideline speed in the first place? It's criticizing a guy for allegedly not having something that he isn't even required to have in the first place.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That 4.62 time probably assured Donta of 1st round status. I don't ever recall this year where Donta gave up the corner on an outside run (even with the speedsters from FLA).

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
remember the combine over all opinion on Rolando was that he couldnt cover the pass. The number one lb against the pass the NFL during the 2010 season? Rolando Mclain.

Grain of salt, people.
Like a couple other people have said, the analysis on players sometimes makes no sense. I remember a couple years ago in reading the draft analysis about Javier Arenas, it was stated that he was not a physical player. A co-worker and I were laughing about it because he was one of the more physical corners in recent memory by my assessment.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
remember the combine over all opinion on Rolando was that he couldnt cover the pass. The number one lb against the pass the NFL during the 2010 season? Rolando Mclain.

Grain of salt, people.

I didn't know Rolo was the #1 LB in the NFL against the pass, that's news to me. There's still folks who think he shouldn't be on the field on 3rd downs.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I didn't know Rolo was the #1 LB in the NFL against the pass, that's news to me. There's still folks who think he shouldn't be on the field on 3rd downs.
Yeah I hadn't heard that either. And having watched a few of their games I'm not sure how that is true. He has had a problem with little nagging injuries and hasn't stood out that much.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I didnt either...everything i've read says that he's not.

37. Rolando McClain, MLB, Oakland Raiders: Rolando McClain is far too much of a liability in pass coverage to be worth the eighth overall pick the Oakland Raiders spent on him in the 2010 NFL draft, but he’s a good pass rusher and terrific run stopper. McClain totaled five sacks in 14 starts in ’11.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didnt either...everything i've read says that he's not.

37. Rolando McClain, MLB, Oakland Raiders: Rolando McClain is far too much of a liability in pass coverage to be worth the eighth overall pick the Oakland Raiders spent on him in the 2010 NFL draft, but he’s a good pass rusher and terrific run stopper. McClain totaled five sacks in 14 starts in ’11.
That really describes him at Bama better...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Barron didn't participate in any workouts or the 40, and Kirkpatrick declined to participate in the bench, not sure if he'll run. Any idea why we've had so many DNP's?

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Barron didn't participate in any workouts or the 40, and Kirkpatrick declined to participate in the bench, not sure if he'll run. Any idea why we've had so many DNP's?
Indy is traditionally a slow track, it's possible some of these guys don't want to hurt their stock with a less than ideal time. Danta didn't have much to lose since he was a fringe first rounder anyways, so by running a 4.6 he only helped himself. The others that are top 20 picks already may have been advised to just sit it out so they don't pull a hammy or have a bad 40 label them as a slow player. Just a theory though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Probably give themselves more time to prepare along with performing on the turf and in the environment they're used to for Pro Day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.