Combine grades...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Barron didn't participate in any workouts or the 40, and Kirkpatrick declined to participate in the bench, not sure if he'll run. Any idea why we've had so many DNP's?
Dre has always had a shoulder problem, so I'd say that's why he didn't bench. Barron had the pec injury and a hernia surgery right after the championship IIRC. Seems like it's just a rash of injuries and players probably not wanting to do further damage.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
That really describes him at Bama better...
I have a question, do you automatically end everything with... I have a friend who does this will all of his text messages and it makes his statements confusing. I have been wondering this for quite some time.

I'm not sure that Ro has gotten drastically better at pass coverage since being in the NFL. The few Oakland games I have watched he has been pretty disappointing.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
On a side note, I think it's silly how much stock people, scouts, talking heads, etc put into Combine workouts. Seems like there's always a handful of guys that come out and have really good workouts, but 3-4 years of mediocre film, and all of a sudden they become the "NEXT BIG THING." Meanwhile, guys that have 3-4 years of outstanding film post a relatively slow 40 or low # of bench reps and they become "risky." Give me the guy that has shown it on the field over the one who runs around cones faster with no pads on, any day of the week.

I saw in an ESPN article that Wes Welker tweeted this the other day:

"First day of watching the combine. What a waste of time! Just watch the film."
Couldn't agree more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
On a side note, I think it's silly how much stock people, scouts, talking heads, etc put into Combine workouts. Seems like there's always a handful of guys that come out and have really good workouts, but 3-4 years of mediocre film, and all of a sudden they become the "NEXT BIG THING." Meanwhile, guys that have 3-4 years of outstanding film post a relatively slow 40 or low # of bench reps and they become "risky." Give me the guy that has shown it on the field over the one who runs around cones faster with no pads on, any day of the week.

I saw in an ESPN article that Wes Welker tweeted this the other day:

Couldn't agree more.
For most people, it's very true. However, look at the WR from Georgia Tech. He is from a triple option school. What film can a team see of him? Or look at Cam. Most folks had doubts about him until the combine and his pro day at Auburn.

The combine or pro day gives a player time to work with a personal trainer for the whole day on the problems folks criticize him for. Instead of practice and classes, the player is able to go straight to the facility and work with coaches for however long he wants, or needs, for that day.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
For most people, it's very true. However, look at the WR from Georgia Tech. He is from a triple option school. What film can a team see of him? Or look at Cam. Most folks had doubts about him until the combine and his pro day at Auburn.

The combine or pro day gives a player time to work with a personal trainer for the whole day on the problems folks criticize him for. Instead of practice and classes, the player is able to go straight to the facility and work with coaches for however long he wants, or needs, for that day.
Oh it's definitely useful, I just don't think that it should hold more value than game tape. It seems like every year there's some no-name guy who comes out of nowhere and posts great numbers in the Combine drills and his stock automatically skyrockets. Nevermind the fact that he has 3-4 years of mediocre game film. He ran around those cones and lifted those weights so well, he's GOTTA be a good NFL player! Just seems counterproductive to me.

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
I thought this comment re: Upshaw was interesting...

Did this guy not watch the championship game? Upshaw forced a pitch on the option and chased down the RB more than once. Then he sacked Jefferson from the backside of the play while Jefferson was running the opposite way. If anything, I've always though Upshaw has incredible lateral mobility considering his size...
They'll point out that Jefferson graded as a 44.0: The worst of any SEC player participating in the Combine.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Oh it's definitely useful, I just don't think that it should hold more value than game tape. It seems like every year there's some no-name guy who comes out of nowhere and posts great numbers in the Combine drills and his stock automatically skyrockets. Nevermind the fact that he has 3-4 years of mediocre game film. He ran around those cones and lifted those weights so well, he's GOTTA be a good NFL player! Just seems counterproductive to me.
That goes back to what I was alluding too, though. Partnered with the correct trainer, the player might fix those mistakes. Did the guy have problems rotating his hips to make the play while playing? If so, the trainer can help with that, and he can show his new technique at the combine and bump up his stock.

I agree for the most part that the combine is taken too seriously, but some guys need the combine or a pro day to show their skills and improvements. Others don't need it.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I think the combine is best at showing off talent when an elite player has an elite workout. This years examples are Luck & Griffin & Melvin Ingram. They had phenomenal film & now they've had a great combine. They're almost can't miss prospects at this point. Same thing happened last year with Julio. He had great film, and he had a great combine.

Those are the guys you want to key in on. Not guys like Jacoby Ford or Darius Heyward-Bey who did nothing in college but blew up the combine. That's what makes me leery of Dontari Poe. What did he do in college that really made him stand out? He was second team All C-USA, does that really scream top 15 pick? Yet someone will probably take a chance on him and end up disappointed in a few years when they should've taken a proven guy like Brockers who hasn't had the greatest performance at the combine.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Those are the guys you want to key in on. Not guys like Jacoby Ford or Darius Heyward-Bey who did nothing in college but blew up the combine. That's what makes me leery of Dontari Poe. What did he do in college that really made him stand out? He was second team All C-USA, does that really scream top 15 pick? Yet someone will probably take a chance on him and end up disappointed in a few years when they should've taken a proven guy like Brockers who hasn't had the greatest performance at the combine.

That's exactly one of the guys I was talking about and exactly the type of situation I was talking about :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a question, do you automatically end everything with... I have a friend who does this will all of his text messages and it makes his statements confusing. I have been wondering this for quite some time.

I'm not sure that Ro has gotten drastically better at pass coverage since being in the NFL. The few Oakland games I have watched he has been pretty disappointing.
If you can explain to me why it's confusing you, I'd consider changing... :D

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
If you can explain to me why it's confusing you, I'd consider changing... :D
To me the ... implies that there is something more to say. With your posts there usually is so it always leaves me wondering haha. Maybe that is just me...

It turns out my buddy's blackberry did it automatically for some reason.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To me the ... implies that there is something more to say. With your posts there usually is so it always leaves me wondering haha. Maybe that is just me...

It turns out my buddy's blackberry did it automatically for some reason.
You're not confused. :) It just means "that's all for now, but I may have more or answer any responses..."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.