'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
"I have some good relationships on the team. Darren Lake is one of my good friends now. Vinnie Sunseri and Nico Johnson are also two good friends of mine. I always hang out with them when I go there. I can't wait to be on the team with those guys."

OJ latest comment this past Sunday after attending church with the team.
btw, OJ is now a 5* on Rivals. 1st TE since Kyle Rudolph to earned a 5* (08') :BigA:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
He sure does. It's really going to suck when he flips to the aubs.
his latest interview at Tidesports:

"Dee Liner, an Auburn commitment from Muscule Shoals High School, has told the media Howard will surprise many with a flip to the Tigers. Howard is friends with Liner, but considered opponents on the gridiron in the future.

"I saw last week where Dee said I was going there," Howard said. "I haven't really talked to him in a long time. I am not even sure I will visit them. I haven't been talking to them.

"I haven't really talked to Dee in forever. He just thinks everyone is coming to Auburn. He is a great guy. He is funny. I am committed to the Tide, and I am signing with Alabama."

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
In terms of the rankings of the self-proclaimed "experts," Howard is starting to enter unprecedented territory. When all is said and done, if the current pace keeps up, he'll be more highly-touted than any tight end prospect has been in recent history. Wouldn't be surprised at some point to see some of the "experts" change him to a WR just to justify the position a bit better.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure TR was just being facetious earlier. Some of you guys are just too far insecure. Sure Howard may flip in the end. So many everyone else for that matter, but for now there is nothing to indicate that is in the cards.

As for Liner and his comments, he's big on the mouth with just about anything. I wouldn't put any stock in what he says. Frankly, judging by the developments in his thread, he needs to pay attention to what he is doing and stop worrying about what everyone else has going on.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Anyway, I'm pretty sure TR was just being facetious earlier. Some of you guys are just too far insecure. Sure Howard may flip in the end. So many everyone else for that matter, but for now there is nothing to indicate that is in the cards.
I agree on both points. Until OJ gives any hint of him flipping, I won't worry about him as I believe he is as a solid as any player can be to a team at this point.

As for Dee Liner comment, he is not exactly the guy I go to for recruiting updates. In fact let just say Dee Liner is the subject of a 'Go West' song in that he is the "King of wishful thinking" about OJ Howard.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Why change one of the most atletic TE's out there to a WR? He'll be a mismatch nightmare, and can block for runs as well...
too big to be a WR, but an absolute terror as a TE.
That is easy to say, though not necessarily correct. Howard could very well transition to WR just as easily as he could TE or H-back at 'Bama. In fact, given the problems we have had getting receivers with size, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get a chance outside. At the least, you can bet we'll flex him out wide into the slot on occasion, even if he does stay in the TE / H-back role.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Autauga Academy doesn't get to proclaim having the #5 player in the nation very often. (Ok... never) Already told my dad that we'll have to go watch him during a game this year.

I recall him saying he'll be an EE. If so, he's in line for some good 2013 playing time. Can't wait to see what he can do.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Why change one of the most atletic TE's out there to a WR? He'll be a mismatch nightmare, and can block for runs as well...too big to be a WR, but an absolute terror as a TE.
I agree he will be a major mismatch at TE but he would be at WR also going against smaller CB's. The #1 overall player last year, Beckham-Green, is a 6' 6" and 220 lbs WR, same size as OJ. OJ is playing TE in HS and this very well may be his college position but WR is not out of the question.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is easy to say, though not necessarily correct. Howard could very well transition to WR just as easily as he could TE or H-back at 'Bama. In fact, given the problems we have had getting receivers with size, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get a chance outside. At the least, you can bet we'll flex him out wide into the slot on occasion, even if he does stay in the TE / H-back role.
That's interesting. That's exactly what I was thinking, that they'll use him as a hybrid player. To that end, they might not want to bulk him up to TE size. Smelley was at least a couple of inches shorter and played only about 10 lb heavier and he blocked adequately. Also, OJ's a bit faster than Smelley, somewhere around 4.5, while Smelley was up around 4.7, so, sure, he'll play split out some...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
That's interesting. That's exactly what I was thinking, that they'll use him as a hybrid player. To that end, they might not want to bulk him up to TE size. Smelley was at least a couple of inches shorter and played only about 10 lb heavier and he blocked adequately. Also, OJ's a bit faster than Smelley, somewhere around 4.5, while Smelley was up around 4.7, so, sure, he'll play split out some...
We had a ton of success late in the year with both Williams AND Smelley out wide in the same formation.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I cannot see us bulking him up and using him as a traditional tight end. No real need of doing that. It just saps speed and while it's easy to say it creates match-up problems on slower linebackers, in reality it makes things a lot more difficult for him to use the athleticism because he is so frequently getting beat up by defensive ends and linebackers just trying to release into the pass route, and the small space between the Mike and the safeties can really limit his room to run free and showcase the wheels.

Really just a better option to make him a combo guy, use him in a variety of roles, and move him all over the field. With his size he can create match-up problems out wide against most corners and field safeties, and by moving him around you can stretch defenses a bit better and keep him from getting beat up so much.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
We sure used Lamonde Russell that way back in the day. That was triggered by Craig Sanderson and Prince Wimbley getting injured though, I believe.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Dont take the troll bait.
TRob is no troll, Poke. Been posting for a good, long time.

"I have some good relationships on the team. Darren Lake is one of my good friends now. Vinnie Sunseri and Nico Johnson are also two good friends of mine. I always hang out with them when I go there. I can't wait to be on the team with those guys."

OJ latest comment this past Sunday after attending church with the team.
btw, OJ is now a 5* on Rivals. 1st TE since Kyle Rudolph to earned a 5* (08') :BigA:
Was great to hear this news - yet they still list him as the #2 TE behind a 4* PSU commit. Thought that was kinda funny.

Really just a better option to make him a combo guy, use him in a variety of roles, and move him all over the field. With his size he can create match-up problems out wide against most corners and field safeties, and by moving him around you can stretch defenses a bit better and keep him from getting beat up so much.
I imagine him being utilized like some of Wisconsin's more athletic, pass catching TEs of recent years. Still a real asset in the run game, but a matchup headache as a receiver.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Apparently he's planning on attending the 'Bama v. Michigan game in Dallas.

But ITAT told me...
Wait, he's going to go all the way to Dallas to watch Bama play instead of going up I-85 to watch Auburn play? Surely, you missed understood the informed posters of ITAT. :wink:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.