'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA
Re: 'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates (Soft Commit)

if you need to offer 4 yr schollys to differentiate yourself in the market place...go for it. I don't think there should be a requirement for a school to give four year schollys though. As stated above, I'm still waiting for someone to name me a player that was cut due to unfulfilled expectations. I was in class a couple of weeks ago (after signing day) and it came up...the Philon deal and the Saban cuts players to make room etc etc etc. I asked for names...and the standard "Well I can't give you names but..." and a Florida fan popped in and pointed out the basic argument: any..ANY coach (Saban included) that cuts a player for poor performance would just get killed by other schools. You can get cut for violating team rules, you can be offered a medical scholarship, but to cut player x because he was a 5 star out of HS and can't make the 2 deep...that'll backfire in a heartbeat. So, with that being said, and provisions for taking away a 4 year scholly due to poor academic performance, or violating team rules, I really don't see a difference, except under the 4 yr plan, a school as ok'd a student to do the minimum.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Barn pushing hard for OJ Howard

BET,

Is Howard worth fighting for?? his measurables is hard to predict at this point. what position is Bama recruiting him for, athlete??

Not BET, but Howard is a big explosive athlete who shows signs of being a star at any of several positions. Can't imagine we'll let him go without a big fight.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Re: 'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates (Soft Commit)

CNS will not offer 4 year schollies. There are things called medical scholarships to take care of injury.

Barn is in desparation mode and a "common sense" conversation will erode away these statements that come immediately following a barn visit
Exactly.

And as for whether Howard is good enough to "fight for", absolutely he is, he is a top notch athlete with plenty of room to fill out his frame.

RM80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2011
Anniston, AL

BET,

Is Howard worth fighting for?? his measurables is hard to predict at this point. what position is Bama recruiting him for, athlete??
he is probably one of the top 5 TEs in the country, would fit the H-back position perfect. so yeah he is one of those kids u try to keep

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006

I think the 4 year scholarship is more for appearances than functionality. It sounds good to recruits. We all know it is very rare for a player to actually lose their scholarship for their level of play. However, there is one angle in the 4 year scholarship that I have not heard. Without having the data in front of me, I assume that a decent amount of players redshirt and then play 4 years. That would mean they are in school for 5 years, not 4.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

There was an article in B'ham News yesterday where Earnest Robinson was given the exact same line about them holding his spot blah blah blah, and he then committed (I think he also has grade issues to correct). Yeah, we'll have to deal with that garbage, but I'm not sweating it. Like others have said, other kids are waiting in the wings to swoop in, and we'll be glad to have 'em. I hope we keep Howard, but if not, so be it. Recruiting hasn't affected my nerves in quite a while, thanks to CNS.

deuce_deuce

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2011
Hoover, AL

I think the 4 year scholarship is more for appearances than functionality. It sounds good to recruits. We all know it is very rare for a player to actually lose their scholarship for their level of play. However, there is one angle in the 4 year scholarship that I have not heard. Without having the data in front of me, I assume that a decent amount of players redshirt and then play 4 years. That would mean they are in school for 5 years, not 4.
Maybe after the redshirt year, they are allowed to renegotiate their scholarship. What if the player transfers? does the 4 years start the year he has to sit out or does it start the year he can actually play? We should just one up everyone and give out 3 year scholarships and say, come to Alabama and you won't need that extra year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

BET,

(1) Absolutely. Potential star player.

(2) I'm not sure we're recruiting him for anything right now, honestly. He's a jumbo athlete type, so he could end up at TE, H-back, OT, DE, or Jack. With a guy like that, especially this early in the process, you recruit him for anything and everything.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I don't mind AU doing this. What better way to create an environment of complacency than to guarantee someone a scholarship for four years regardless of his effort or performance? I wonder if AU is also guaranteeing recruits that Chizik will be there four years from now?

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
OJ Howard is a big time recruit and UA will fight for him until the end. He could be a big time TE, WR or H Back. Could even move to defense if needed. Hope UA's staff can hold on to him. I know he's a AU fan but him committing to UA so early means he knows the team and coach that can help his future

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw a BOL headline teaser today (article is premium) that said he is solid to Bama. We are still going to have to fight for him all the way to signing day. He is the #1 or #2 state of Alabama prospect for 2013 and will end up being a special player. We can find others to fill his spot as some posters have said but we really want this guy in more ways than one (don't want him to sign with the Barn).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It would seem to me that the best thing going as far as his recruitment is concerned is to point to how Brad Smelley was utilized. AU can talk about how they might plan to use him, we can show him how we actually use an H back/TE.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It would seem to me that the best thing going as far as his recruitment is concerned is to point to how Brad Smelley was utilized. AU can talk about how they might plan to use him, we can show him how we actually use an H back/TE.
Well, AU used Lutzenkirken in a lot of ways, but that was in their Spread Offense. Now that they are going to a Pro-Set, who knows how they will even use him now.

Bama is staying with what has worked to win two National Titles.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!! :cool2:

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
I think the barners can spew what ever tactics they want as long as CNS is taking care of our recruiting, we'll be just fine. I wouldn't have it any other way for our time!!! RTR

Bama Fish 86-9

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2010
My kids have had the opportunity to play against OJ in different sports. He is the kind of kid that when he steps on the playing surface(basketball,baseball,football, soccer, foosball, tiddly-winks, it doesnt matter.....he is the best athlete on the field and can take over at any time.

Last edited:

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
UA is in a good spot for many top notch TEs like DeSean Smith and Hunter Henry but OJ Howard seems to me to be a game changer. He could be more than your standard TE/H Back. I hope UA is able to keep him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.