'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Croyle played 1A and Smelley 2A[/QUOT
Bout the same thing.
I have two sons that played in 2A AHSAA and 3A AISA and younger son that will probably end up playing AHSAA. From what I have seen there is little difference in the two. the better teams in AISA would compete quite well with 2A AHSAAs competition, they play Florida public schools in other sports and regularly beat them so why would it be any different for them to compete with Alabama public schools of the same size? the weaker teams are just as bad as the AHSAA schools. Bottom line is it does not matter where a kid played period, if he can play he can play. I guess Georgia should not have signed Hershel Walker or Garrison Hurst because they played 1A football. Small schools produce lots of good players just not as many.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
In regards to competition he was a star at the Rivals Challenge and the Opening. The 1 top premiere showcases over the summer. No DB or LB in the country could cover or handle him.

From the Challenge:

TE O.J. Howard, Autauga (Ala.) Autauga Academy -- Howard led a strong group of tight ends at the event, and his size, hands and route running allowed him to create separation and become a major weapon for his team. A 6-foot-6, 226-pound Alabama commit, Howard was arguably the toughest prospect to defend. He has the athleticism of a wide receiver and the size of a lineman.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If he's technically already graduated, it may be possible. I think the February deadline is in place for kids still in HS. For example, it seems reasonable that a 25 yo could sign anytime during the year - the February before he would enroll in college has already passed. Anybody know where we could find clear rules regarding this issue?
I think he said he graduates in two weeks.

Brodie Croyle played in the AISA. As did the Smelley brothers. That's just off the top of my head. I know there are more.
Negative. Brodie played at Westbrook (1A or 2A at the time) and the Smelleys played at American Christian (1A most of the time, 2A now)

Croyle played 1A and Smelley 2A
Bout the same thing.
I have two sons that played in 2A AHSAA and 3A AISA and younger son that will probably end up playing AHSAA. From what I have seen there is little difference in the two. the better teams in AISA would compete quite well with 2A AHSAAs competition, they play Florida public schools in other sports and regularly beat them so why would it be any different for them to compete with Alabama public schools of the same size? the weaker teams are just as bad as the AHSAA schools. Bottom line is it does not matter where a kid played period, if he can play he can play. I guess Georgia should not have signed Hershel Walker or Garrison Hurst because they played 1A football. Small schools produce lots of good players just not as many.
Have to disagree. Even the BEST AISA teams couldn't come close to beating most region winners, much less the top teams in 1A or 2A much less any of the rest. And which Florida schools have they beat "worth noting"?

I would love to see any AISA team play Brantley, Marion County, Sweet Water, Tanner, Reeltown, Pickens County, etc. It wouldn't even be close.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007

Negative. Brodie played at Westbrook (1A or 2A at the time) and the Smelleys played at American Christian (1A most of the time, 2A now)

Have to disagree. Even the BEST AISA teams couldn't come close to beating most region winners, much less the top teams in 1A or 2A much less any of the rest. And which Florida schools have they beat "worth noting"?

I would love to see any AISA team play Brantley, Marion County, Sweet Water, Tanner, Reeltown, Pickens County, etc. It wouldn't even be close.
How about Northview or Jay VS Escambia Academy? and guess what 95% of the public schools that played your aforementioned schools didnt beat them either so whats your point? I never said the best schools would consistently win state titles I said the best AISA schools could compete with them heck look at Bayside they were AISA just a few years ago, they compete very well every year in AHSSA.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Yes he is an EE and the best TE in the country no matter who he plays for. I will bet anything he will be on the field next fall.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
According to the school's website, the semester exams run through the 20th and the last day of class before Christmas is the 21st. So unless they exempt seniors from finals, he hasn't completed his high school obligations and is not a graduate.

It said the school was founded in 1969. I guess they are one of the segregation academies that popped up round that time.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
How about Northview or Jay VS Escambia Academy? and guess what 95% of the public schools that played your aforementioned schools didnt beat them either so whats your point? I never said the best schools would consistently win state titles I said the best AISA schools could compete with them heck look at Bayside they were AISA just a few years ago, they compete very well every year in AHSSA.
Northview or Jay? LMAO! As I said, tell me who "worth noting" the Florida public schools that has been beaten by the AISA.

I could go on and on. Your top AISA schools couldn't and wouldn't beat Maplesville, Linden, Ragland, Cedar Bluff, or even Addison. That's just in 1A! Remember, YOU said there was little difference between your sons playing 3A AISA and 2A AHSAA and I guarantee you there is a difference. The top AISA schools can't even beat the top 1A schools much less us even discussing any of the other top teams around this state.

Bayside has had what? 2 10 win seasons since joining in 2001? They have only been good since 2010 or so. It even took them 10 years to get going in the AHSAA.

Yes he is an EE and the best TE in the country no matter who he plays for. I will bet anything he will be on the field next fall.
I do NOT doubt that one bit. I even agree with it 100%

It said the school was founded in 1969. I guess they are one of the segregation academies that popped up round that time.
Sure is.

Last edited:

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
Not sure if he counts as 'recruit' any more since he's probably enrolled but I got excited when I read this excerpt from the Nick Saban Radio Show a couple of days ago...

"A fan asked if Alabama is going to join the tight end revolution started in the NFL by New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, one of Saban’s close friends. Saban said he isn’t allowed to talk about recruits, “but we feel like we found one of those kind of players this year.” The tight end and the fullback usually draw the attention of the worst players on a defense, Saban said. “If you can have a mismatch at those two positions, or even one of those positions, it’s a tremendous advantage,” Saban said."

A two time NC-winning QB throwing the ball around to all those weapons is going to be fun to watch.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/at_some_point_you_have_to_take.html

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think he could talk about him, but depending on when the show was recorded O.J. might have not been "enrolled" yet. Until he's truly on campus he can't talk about him by name.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.