'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
UA is in a good spot for many top notch TEs like DeSean Smith and Hunter Henry but OJ Howard seems to me to be a game changer. He could be more than your standard TE/H Back. I hope UA is able to keep him
I agree. I recall Saban saying 3 or 4 years ago he has always wanted a TE that could do it all - block, good route runner, speed, great hands - like a Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates (his examples). I think he sees this is combination in OJ.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
I don't think OJ will write books on how to block LBs but he will be servicable enough in that area. Where he will shine is in receiving and creating mismatches for defenses. He reminds me a lot of Ozzie Newsome for those that remember him. He could be that special. A great TE can help a struggling QB or new QB in just about any system and UA's system is geared perfectly for a star TE.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Prospects like O.J. Howard and DeSean Smith are the types of TEs Coach Saban and staff have been wanting to get into the program since they've been here. They combine size and receiving skills at the position. We've mostly used TEs like Mike Williams and Travis McCall as blocking TEs, with limited action in the passing game, and coupled them with H-backs like Preston Dial and Brad Smelley. Although Nick Walker and Colin Peek did show some skill in the pass receiving realm. I know we'll continue to employ the H-back in the two and three TE sets, such as Harrison Jones this fall. However, I think a guy like Smith or Howard at the TE spot can really change the position for Alabama.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
He reminds me a lot of Ozzie Newsome for those that remember him.
Ozzie played WR for us. He moved to TE at the pro level iirc.

But i understand the comparison. Ozzie was not recruited as a blocking TE to the pros, although he was above average at blocking for a WR as was many of our WR during the wishbone days.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Andrew Bone retweeted this info this morning:

Howard, a TE, ran 4.63 40, a full 1/10 sec faster than January.#bama

#bama commit OJ Howard posted a 104.22 Nike Sparq score, tops of the day & earning invite to natl combine in Oregon in July

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Andrew Bone retweeted this info this morning:

Howard, a TE, ran 4.63 40, a full 1/10 sec faster than January.#bama

#bama commit OJ Howard posted a 104.22 Nike Sparq score, tops of the day & earning invite to natl combine in Oregon in July
He was a huge get for us. Also Number 1 TE in the nation imo. Also the number 2 guy imo is smith from LA, Who we happen to lead for.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ozzie played WR for us. He moved to TE at the pro level iirc.

But i understand the comparison. Ozzie was not recruited as a blocking TE to the pros, although he was above average at blocking for a WR as was many of our WR during the wishbone days.
As I remember it, Ozzie definitely started out at WR, but grew into playing both as a senior -- maybe even more TE than WR toward the end of his college days. At the time, pass coverage on TEs was almost exclusively the province of LBs -- not many college teams played 5 DBs and just about nobody in college played 6. Anyway, it was almost unfair to have Ozzie covered by a LB.

Good memories.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As I think we've made clear previously, and the latest Combine numbers reiterate, this ain't a kid you want to miss on, particularly to your in-state rival.

And I don't think it's a complete coincidence that we announced the four year scholarship deal about three days after Howard talked highly of it. I'm sure he wasn't the entire decision, of course, but I'm sure it factored in.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As I remember it, Ozzie definitely started out at WR, but grew into playing both as a senior -- maybe even more TE than WR toward the end of his college days. At the time, pass coverage on TEs was almost exclusively the province of LBs -- not many college teams played 5 DBs and just about nobody in college played 6. Anyway, it was almost unfair to have Ozzie covered by a LB.

Good memories.
Ozzie was pretty thin when we signed him and he played a lot of wide receiver throughout his career.

Of course, though, back then we used to frequently flex the tight ends out wide and bring the "wide receivers" down on the line to use as EMOLOS blockers, so it never made much of a difference. Besides, that was back when our wideouts lined up in a three-point stance.

A lot can change in 35 years :biggrin:

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
OJ's measurables are pretty sick. He will just need time to fill in. Reminds me of Jay Rome a little. Also Marcus Monk.

He could be a key red zone threat with his size, speed, and leaping ability. I do not see him as a 50+ play guy, but a situational nightmare. In this offense we want a quality blocking TE, an Hback, and a receiving TE available at all times. Oddly we have not had the 3rd at all under Saban.

We have had great blockers and good Hbacks. OJ fits that Tommy Trott mold we kept missing on.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OJ's measurables are pretty sick. He will just need time to fill in. Reminds me of Jay Rome a little. Also Marcus Monk.

He could be a key red zone threat with his size, speed, and leaping ability. I do not see him as a 50+ play guy, but a situational nightmare. In this offense we want a quality blocking TE, an Hback, and a receiving TE available at all times. Oddly we have not had the 3rd at all under Saban.

We have had great blockers and good Hbacks. OJ fits that Tommy Trott mold we kept missing on.
Brian Vogler has not played much, but he is seen as a receiving TE IIRC. I get the feeling that OJ could be used like Aaron Hernandez was at Florida and now in New England.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
I take what I said about not having receiving TE back. Colin Peek. We just didn't have him long. Besides that we have had brutal blockers Williams/McCall and shifty Hbacks Dial/Smelley.

Throw a 6'6 deep middle threat and goal line threat and this run based offense will be deadly.

Peek's 26 catches in 2009 really did change that offense and he could block unlike Nick Walker.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tight end is a big part of our offense and we've manufactured good production between our true TEs and hybrid backs despite not really having an elite talent at those positions.

I really hope we can firm up our standing with Howard because he's legitimately the best TE prospect in the nation and he has the potential to a matchup issue within our offense. Our depth at TE has seemingly always been bigger TE who aren't great field stretchers (Walker, Peek, Williams, McCall) and H-backs who get good enough at blocking to be used in the passing offense (Dial, Smelley). Howard would be the first guy that really projects as both a solid inline blocker at the traditional TE spot but has the ability to get vertical in the passing game.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I take what I said about not having receiving TE back. Colin Peek. We just didn't have him long. Besides that we have had brutal blockers Williams/McCall and shifty Hbacks Dial/Smelley.

Throw a 6'6 deep middle threat and goal line threat and this run based offense will be deadly.

Peek's 26 catches in 2009 really did change that offense and he could block unlike Nick Walker.
I was fixing to hit you up until I seen this post, Colin Peek was flat out sick as a TE. WR hands on that frame is not fair. If the kid could have stayed healthy he'd probably be tearing it up in the NFL now. I'm still mad the NCAA screwed him and he only had 1 year..

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
I'm really excited about this kid. I hope we hang onto him. I would love to have that Hernandez or Gresham type TE in our offense. I think this might be my favorite recruit of all for the next signing class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.