Question: What's up with NASCAR?

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
First does anybody feel that Fox runs too many commercials (compared to ESPN) and takes up too much time hyping the race? They take up to an hour before a race starts. ESPN takes 15 or 20 minutes at most.
NASCAR knows the weather forecast. Would it be possible to issue tickets with the possibility of running a race on Saturday (if it's on Sunday), or if in the event of a Saturday race, on Sunday, if the best indicators for weather dictate? At any rate come on ESPN, they do a much better job. Rant over.

Last edited:
First does anybody feel that Fox runs too many commercials (compared to ESPN) and takes up too much time hyping the race? They take up to an hour before a race starts. ESPN takes 15 or 20 minutes at most.
NASCAR knows the weather forecast. Would it be possible to issue tickets with the possibility of running a race on Saturday (if it's on Sunday), or if in the event of a Saturday race, on Sunday, if the best indicators for weather dictate? At any rate come on ESPN, they do a much better job. Rant over.
Couple of things:

-Fox runs a long pre-game because that's how they do all their sports. With their NASCAR coverage, they are doing it when football is over so they can get away with it because airtime needs to be filled.

-Teams/drivers/networks/advertisers/etc. prepare for a race to be run on Sunday, regardless.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Fox is tons better that ESPN's coverage. DW is great. ESPN offers the best coverage with most things but they are horrible with NASCAR. I know as much about NASCAR as Brad Daugherty.
Compared to TNT's coverage ESPN is great. Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach are horrible. I miss Eli doing NASCAR.
By the way go Kenseth, Biffle, Stenhouse, and Edwards.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
I, personally, am a much bigger fan of Fox than ESPN. I enjoy the extra pre-race time, since we only get one race a week I like to get as much as I can! Also, DW does a better job than anyone IMO. Just happy to have the season start!

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I, personally, am a much bigger fan of Fox than ESPN. I enjoy the extra pre-race time, since we only get one race a week I like to get as much as I can! Also, DW does a better job than anyone IMO. Just happy to have the season start!
My biggest problem with Nascar is that I'm happy to have the season start, but it takes sooooooooooooo long to wrap up. Less is more, and 38 weekends a year is too much imo.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
My biggest problem with Nascar is that I'm happy to have the season start, but it takes sooooooooooooo long to wrap up. Less is more, and 38 weekends a year is too much imo.
Never enough if you ask me! The worst thing to me about every sport is they day it ends, and with NASCAR, you only wait a few months and it comes right back! I certainly understand your point of view, however, there are times even I feel they drag it out a little too long in the midseason.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Thank goodness TNT and ESPN is taking over the rest of the season. No more 45-50 minute or more 'til race time,no more Bloviating, more racing. Nascar better get it's act together, lots of empty seats and lower TV ratings..hope they can.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Back between appx 1997 and 2001 I was a passionate Nascar fan (Hardly watch a race now). Went to races in Indianapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Darlington, Talledega, Bristol, And Rockingham. I used to say the same thing when Nascar was on CBS. I taped (and still have) every race during the above mentioned time frame. A couple of times I would play back a race and keep up with Commercial times vs Race times and CBS almost got up to 40% TV time were commercials. I thought that was ridiculous at the time and still do. Fox and all other networks have always spent a lot of time hyping races.

As far as issuing tickets for either Saturday or Sunday, I don't think that would be in Nascar's best interest. In race town's Hotel rates that usually are $80 per night go for $250 per night (same in any sport). If you bought a ticket that was either Saturday or Sunday you would have to book an extra motel room which for most people that would be abusive (ie fewer tickets would be sold). JMHO.:smile:

OK_BamaFan

1st Team
Oct 22, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Thank goodness TNT and ESPN is taking over the rest of the season. No more 45-50 minute or more 'til race time,no more Bloviating, more racing. Nascar better get it's act together, lots of empty seats and lower TV ratings..hope they can.
See, I think the TNT announcers are just awful. I enjoy the antics of the Fox crew & sure do miss DW's 'Boogity' when their coverage is done for the season.

I'm with you though - sure do wish NASCAR could fill the stands again. I'll be doing my part at Watkins this year and wish I could go to many more.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
That's what makes the world go 'round, different strokes for different folks...I don't miss Fox, and the Bloviating at all. Nascar's in a flux, need to do something, I'm not sure what. Today is the first race this year with the first 4 or more qualifiers at 200+ MPH. Maybe limit the field to 30, lose the small tracks(except Bristol). I think the Glen is the only venue that's not left turn always...lose it too.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Overnights from Sunday: 1) NBA on ABC (10.4); 2) US Open on NBC (6.6); 3) NASCAR on TNT (3.1).tweet by John Ourand

Just gonna get worse, Sonoma, zzzz... nest week.Lot of empty seats...be interesting to see when their TV contracts come up.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Overnights from Sunday: 1) NBA on ABC (10.4); 2) US Open on NBC (6.6); 3) NASCAR on TNT (3.1).tweet by John Ourand

Just gonna get worse, Sonoma, zzzz... nest week.Lot of empty seats...be interesting to see when their TV contracts come up.
Agree. 3.1 is the worst of the year but it is 15% better than last year at Michigan. Rain Delay probably didn't help. TNT doesn't have as many possible TV's as Fox, doesn't help # of viewers.

The one thing that (imho) would help pull ratings up is if Junior keeps winning and wins the Cup. The last 6 yrs with the 48 car winning 5 in a row didn't help (imho). Jimmy Johnson just doesn't get me excited. Junior has such a following, his success could be what Nascar needs.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Agree. 3.1 is the worst of the year but it is 15% better than last year at Michigan. Rain Delay probably didn't help. TNT doesn't have as many possible TV's as Fox, doesn't help # of viewers.

The one thing that (imho) would help pull ratings up is if Junior keeps winning and wins the Cup. The last 6 yrs with the 48 car winning 5 in a row didn't help (imho). Jimmy Johnson just doesn't get me excited. Junior has such a following, his success could be what Nascar needs.
I agree, those 2 road course races are real snoozers.. with a very few moments of note. Nascar will be forced to something with ratings like this, they are down on Fox to, or go back to sixties.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.