Music Historians - Need Some Quick Help!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewing for the AHSGE with my students, and I'm trying to connect WC Handy to the present day. Thinking of using a song that's been recorded ever since the early 20th century, but nothing to obscure.
I was thinking of either using See See Rider or maybe House of the Rising Sun. Going to start with St. Louis Blues - WC Handy, Bessie Smith, etc.

Any suggestions?

Reviewing for the AHSGE with my students, and I'm trying to connect WC Handy to the present day. Thinking of using a song that's been recorded ever since the early 20th century, but nothing to obscure.
I was thinking of either using See See Rider or maybe House of the Rising Sun. Going to start with St. Louis Blues - WC Handy, Bessie Smith, etc.

Any suggestions?
Go with House of the Rising Sun.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Problem is using that song to connect WC Handy to Leadbelly and then connecting the Animals (awesome as they are) to something a bunch of fifteen year olds would recognize.

I could show Nina Simone singing it and connect her to Adele or Amy Winehouse.

Problem is using that song to connect WC Handy to Leadbelly and then connecting the Animals (awesome as they are) to something a bunch of fifteen year olds would recognize.

I could show Nina Simone singing it and connect her to Adele or Amy Winehouse.
Ahh. I just picked that song because I know some high school bands tend to play it so some would recognize it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you'll clear up your goal I can help you. I teach music and studied musicology.

I teach high school. Part of my review for the state graduation exam includes covering W.C. Handy. I'd like to show them how music from 100 years ago connects directly with music today or, at the least, classic rock. So I'm going to start with Handy and Scott Joplin and try to move towards the present.

Make sense?

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
I teach high school too, and honestly, for the AHSGE I would take the "Just the facts, ma'am" approach. Especially for the history portion. I used to remediate and that was always the most effective option.

However, if you're just wanting an example of old world to new world, use the evolution of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Zulu folk song, Pete Seeger, the Weavers, the Kingston Trio).

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I teach high school too, and honestly, for the AHSGE I would take the "Just the facts, ma'am" approach. Especially for the history portion. I used to remediate and that was always the most effective option.

However, if you're just wanting an example of old world to new world, use the evolution of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Zulu folk song, Pete Seeger, the Weavers, the Kingston Trio).
Agreed, but our Monday schedules are such that I'm trying to catch a breather from the dull remediation, and the classes are only 35 minutes long. But your example is helpful - thanks.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
House of the Rising Sun is still used in a lot of movies/shows. Might be an angle to use.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.