Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Today's Question: What do you think of reality television?

Today's Question is....

What do you think of reality television?

2. Advertisement
    Registered

Re: Today's Question: What do you think of reality television?

It sells. It's what Americans want to see. The Situation, Snooki, the Kardashian ladies, the Palin mob, they've all done pretty well financially whilst not having much more accomplished in life than eat, sleep, pee and walk the Earth.
    [B][/B]

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Don't watch any of it and refuse to.
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RVTIDER's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked on TideFans.com

Hate the "famous person" reality shows. The competition ones still keep my interest from time to time. This year survivor is pretty good, men vs women. Plus the women wear little of nothing and seem pretty nasty. Potential.
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Suspended

Enjoy the musical shows (love music), and The Biggest Loser (though I hate the drama). Don't watch any others, so I have no opinion.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

cannot stand them and their popularity proves how stupid people are.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

Suspended

Quick question - Are sports not "reality TV"?

Okay, just looked it up ans sports are not considered to be reality TV, but things like game shows (Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc), voyeuristic shows (Big Brother, Kardashians, etc), and anything with hidden cameras (Candid Camera, Punk'd, etc) qualify.

I do watch America's Funniest Home Videos with my kids. Turns out that this qualifies. I also used to love Candid Camera. So maybe I am not as averse to the genre as I thought. The ones that I hate are the voyeuristic type.
    Last edited by SimplyTide; February 29th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Not sure this is a "reality" show, but I watch America's Got Talent - lots of bizarre stuff, but also a wide variety of talent, not just singing. And some pretty spectacular talent, as well.
    It is funny watching some people make fools of themselves for their own little 30 seconds of complete embarrassment...
    As far as Big Brother, and all of the rest (including Survivor)....nope.
    Last edited by twofbyc; February 29th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by exbama21 View Post
    cannot stand them and their popularity proves how stupid people are.
    We got rid of cable TV a couple of years ago, and never watch broadcast TV unless it's sports (college fb/pro fb/college basketball....but only if it's Creighton or the NCAA tourney).

The longer I go without TV, the more I come to understand why my parents called it the "idiot box".
    [B][/B]

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

It has very little to do with reality, but as it's been said... the genre sells.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    It has very little to do with reality, but as it's been said... the genre sells.
    Agreed, It is unreal. But it sells. I rarely ever watch it. I like deadliest catch, ice road truckers and those types of reality shows, but not Idol, loser, Race, Survivor or any of those. Survivor was a joke, a real survivor show would be to drop 6-7 people on a remote island with minimal tools , and come back in a month, of course, you would have to put cameras everywhere to monitor the reality.

My favorite reality show involves a ball and a field. sometimes a stick, sometimes indoors on a hardwood floor. Sports is the original reality show.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Agreed, It is unreal. But it sells. I rarely ever watch it. I like deadliest catch, ice road truckers and those types of reality shows, but not Idol, loser, Race, Survivor or any of those. Survivor was a joke, a real survivor show would be to drop 6-7 people on a remote island with minimal tools , and come back in a month, of course, you would have to put cameras everywhere to monitor the reality.

My favorite reality show involves a ball and a field. sometimes a stick, sometimes indoors on a hardwood floor. Sports is the original reality show.
    I always joked Survivor needed to be in places like Siberia or other extremely difficult locales... not the tropics.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American Tide in Athens's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by It's On A Slab View Post
    We got rid of cable TV a couple of years ago, and never watch broadcast TV unless it's sports (college fb/pro fb/college basketball....but only if it's Creighton or the NCAA tourney).

The longer I go without TV, the more I come to understand why my parents called it the "idiot box".
    Mrs. TiA and I never got cable (or internet) when we moved to Athens in November, primarily because of budgetary concerns since she didn't have a job when we moved here. The gym where we work out has TVs on most of the cardio machines, and wireless internet throughout so we mooch off of them when we need it. Strange thing is neither she nor I really miss it. We only watched a few shows anyway (and since it's no longer football season, that cut out about 95% of my TV watching) and couldn't justify the $100+/mo. expense. So I'm right with you there. I prefer reading, getting outdoors, working out, spending time with the Missus, etc., now than flipping mindlessly through the "idiot box".

As far as reality TV, it has never been my cup of tea. I've watched a few of most types (Osbournes, Amazing Race, etc.), but never got into them to the point where I had to see them. But different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Last edited by Tide in Athens; February 29th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
    -Linus van Pelt.