Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Re: Today's Question: What do you think of reality television?

Some of it is good, some of it is awful. Just like everything else. No difference.
    RIP Hub

2. Advertisement

I watched two seasons of American Idol, and an old show on Fox called "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance."
    I much prefer to watch an interpretation of, allegory of, or an exaggerated version of reality. I think shows like The Wire, Arrested Development, and Friday Night Lights tell me more about "reality" than any reality show. Maybe not Arrested Development.

It's hogwash!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If you're talking about the drama-filled, soap-opera type reality shows then I have no use for them. I do like many of the History and Discovery ones, though.

Of course, you have to realize that no "reality" show accurately depicts reality. What little bit of reality that is actually shown is controlled, edited, and accompanied by staged scenes by the individuals, producers, and directors.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I, like most of us, fell in love with Julie on The Real World.

That said, I have no use for the fake drama that they pump into most 'reality' television. It's such a broad genre though, so it's a hard question to answer.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I enjoy the competition shows like Survivor, The Amazing Race and American Idol. I've never watched Jersey Shore, but admit to having thoroughly enjoyed shows like The Real World back in my 20's, but only for the first few seasons - lost interest after that.

Like Riz said, some of it is compelling and well-produced and some of it is trash and not worth my time, and that applies to pretty much everything else on television.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation All-American MegaVars's Avatar

I have shows I won't miss.
    Bama playing in any sport.

I have shows that I try not to miss.
    Justified
    Breaking Bad
    Walking Dead and a few others

I have shows I like to watch that may have to be DVRed
    NCIS
    Person of Interest
    White Collar
    House and a few others

No time on my TV schedule for "reality" TV.

Long story short......Not much.
    "And believe me, to have been in the city of Tuscaloosa in October when you were young and full of Early Times and had a shining Alabama gal by your side--to have had all that and then to have seen those red shirts pour onto the field, and, then, coming behind them, with that inexorable big cat walk of his, the man himself, The Bear--that was very good indeed." Howell Raines, a Washington correspondent for the New York Times.

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Totally worthless crap

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

If reality TV is filming regular people doing stuff, I enjoy shows like "The First 48" and "Dirty Jobs". I also like "Man vs Wild", idk if that qualifies as reality tv. But I have never been a big fan of game-show type shows, and I really dislike celebrity-based reality tv shows. I feel no urge to find out what random-girl-with-big-boobs is doing to be a youknowwhat this week.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

The two reality shows I will watch are No Reservations and Bizarre Foods.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't watch them.....a waste of time IMO.

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    I enjoy the competition shows like Survivor, The Amazing Race and American Idol. I've never watched Jersey Shore, but admit to having thoroughly enjoyed shows like The Real World back in my 20's, but only for the first few seasons - lost interest after that.

Like Riz said, some of it is compelling and well-produced and some of it is trash and not worth my time, and that applies to pretty much everything else on television.
    I was the same way with The Real World. The first season felt 'real'. Once it was a hit, I felt like each successive cast came in with an agenda; namely to become famous.

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    If reality TV is filming regular people doing stuff, I enjoy shows like "The First 48" and "Dirty Jobs". I also like "Man vs Wild", idk if that qualifies as reality tv. But I have never been a big fan of game-show type shows, and I really dislike celebrity-based reality tv shows. I feel no urge to find out what random-girl-with-big-boobs is doing to be a youknowwhat this week.
    The First 48 is phenomenal. It's amazing to see the differences from city to city. Birmingham, Memphis and Miami don't play. If you kill someone in one of those cities, they will find you! Indianapolis... not so much. I also really liked Crime 360. I had to watch it for an EXD class, and found it to be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    The two reality shows I will watch are No Reservations and Bizarre Foods.
    Have you watched The Layover​?
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheImpaler View Post
    I was the same way with The Real World. The first season felt 'real'. Once it was a hit, I felt like each successive cast came in with an agenda; namely to become famous.

The First 48 is phenomenal. It's amazing to see the differences from city to city. Birmingham, Memphis and Miami don't play. If you kill someone in one of those cities, they will find you! Indianapolis... not so much. I also really liked Crime 360. I had to watch it for an EXD class, and found it to be fascinating.

Have you watched The Layover​?
    Yeah... The Layover is really good as well. Honestly, I'm just a big fan of anything Anthony Bourdain does.

The shift in the Real World happened when they did the season in Hawaii. The producers quickly realized the audience wanted to see the partying and such more so than real situations (Go back and watch seasons 1-4... incredibly tame when compared to previous seasons. Miami in season 5 also laid the foundation for what really took hold in Hawaii).
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick