Recipes
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Crockpot Chicken & Dumplin's

Description: This is a nice short-cut recipe that ends up tasting like it's made from scratch.
    Serving Size: 6-8
    Time: 6 hours on high
    Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
    1. 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    2. 2 tablespoons butter
    3. 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    4. 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
    5. 1 cup chicken broth
    6. 1 onion, finely diced
    7. 1 (10 ounce) package refrigerated biscuit dough
    8. salt to taste
    9. pepper to taste
    Preparation:
    Instructions:
    1. Place the chicken, butter, soups, broth, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to
    2. cover.
    3. Cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on high.
    4. Uncover and use a fork to easily shred the chicken.
    5. For the dumplings, you can either tear them into small pieces or roll them out and slice into
    6. strips depending on your preference.
    7. Add them to your chicken mixture, making sure to push them down into the liquid.
    8. Cover and cook on high for another 60 minutes or until the dumplings are done to your liking.
    9. Salt & pepper to taste before serving.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Crockpot Chicken & Dumplin's

I will differently try this. My grandmother bless her died many years ago but her Chicken & Dumplings was the best. Never found anything to compare to her's and don't think I ever will but thanks for the slow cooker receipe might be the closest thing. I think you for this.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I've made this a couple of times recently and it's turned out perfectly every time. I roll my biscuits out and slice them to dumpling size. I haven't tried the "just tear 'em up" method as that's not what I grew up on. My grandmother's chicken and dumplings was very simple and delicious and I've never been satisfied by anyone's else's - certainly not my own - but this little slow cooker recipe has won me over and my whole family loves it!

I made a slight adjustment last time in that I didn't shred the chicken too much. I'd say I shredded half of it finely, then left the other half in more chuck-sized pieces - that was a bigger hit with the fam.

Definitely give it a try, Rogue!
    Last edited by SavannahDare; March 29th, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Oh my goodness I tried this earlier this week and it was GREAT. I chopped some celery and threw it in along with some sweet peas. I have enough for at least 4 meals during the week and it's good.

While I really can't remember my grandmother's receipes since I was a kid this is excellent. Thank you so much Staci this will be in my regular rotation of meals going forward.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogueElephant View Post

While I really can't remember my grandmother's receipes since I was a kid this is excellent. Thank you so much Staci this will be in my regular rotation of meals going forward.
    You're welcome! I'm so glad you liked it. It really is ridiculously easy and soooo delicious.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My first time on this forum - I'm not a cook, by no means. I saw this thread, and just wanted to toss something out there. This is one of my favorites - my wife makes a pretty mean batch! She boils a couple of eggs and chops up to add (along with the celery that's mentioned above) - it really adds to the flavor!
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation All-SEC happytidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=SavannahDare;1862062]I made a slight adjustment last time in that I didn't shred the chicken too much. I'd say I shredded half of it finely, then left the other half in more chuck-sized pieces - that was a bigger hit with the fam./QUOTE]

I like mine in chunky pieces along with the shredded as well....it's a texture thing.

I know you guys recycle leftovers like we do sometimes....add some fresh veggies [carrots, peas, onions, mushrooms, etc.], put it all in a casserole dish and throw some pie pastry on top, bake it a few and voila, .....chicken pot pie. Somehow it makes third day leftovers exciting again.
    nita - Roll Tide Roll!

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Place the chicken, butter, soups, broth, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to
    cover.
    Cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on high.
    Uncover and use a fork to easily shred the chicken.
    For the dumplings, you can either tear them into small pieces or roll them out and slice into
    strips depending on your preference.
    Add them to your chicken mixture, making sure to push them down into the liquid.
    Cover and cook on high for another 60 minutes or until the dumplings are done to your liking.
    Salt & pepper to taste before serving.
    I'm not a chicken and dumplings fan but my mother always cooks it for our family reunion. One trick she started doing is taking flour tortillas and cutting them into bite size strips for the dumplings. Once they cook they expand like a dumpling and her pot always comes up empty at the reunion. I thought the flour tortillas was an interesting easy way to make the dumplings.

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Has anyone tried the ready made dumplings from the frozen food section? They taste as good as my scratch made ones, I can also make a mess with a cup and a half of flour. They have wax paper between them but still stick sometime, we found that if you nuke 'em for 20 seconds it eliminates that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Place the chicken, butter, soups, broth, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to
    cover.
    Cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on high.
    Uncover and use a fork to easily shred the chicken.
    For the dumplings, you can either tear them into small pieces or roll them out and slice into
    strips depending on your preference.
    Add them to your chicken mixture, making sure to push them down into the liquid.
    Cover and cook on high for another 60 minutes or until the dumplings are done to your liking.
    Salt & pepper to taste before serving.
    Should the crock cooker be pre-heated? Does it matter to flavor or cooking time?

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post
    Should the crock cooker be pre-heated? Does it matter to flavor or cooking time?
    Doesn't matter. I've never pre-heated my crockpot; just put everything in that I need to and turn that sucker on!

I made a batch just this past week and seasoned it with a little Slap Ya Mama. Boy, did it kick up the flavor!