Dr. Witt to be UA System Chancellor, Judy Bonner Interim UA President

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I think that she, Condi, would be an excellent choice. However, we do need to get the BEST person possible.

Rank the Presidents at the U of A:
Dr. Denny
Dr. Rose
David Matthews
Dr. Sorensen
Dr. Thomas
Dr. Witt
others

We need someone who knows HOW to get things done in continuing to build a University 2nd to none!
Assuming your list is your ranking I think it's mostly spot on -- but not Joab Thomas over Robert Witt, no way. Interestingly, there is a library named for Dr. Thomas at Penn State.

Last edited:

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
I would hope that the next Prez would lay off UA Huntsville and stop trying to muscle in on their research grants and DoD contracts, but if Portera/Witt were invloved in that, a Witt/Someone else probably won't make a difference.

I love Bama football, but I am also protective of UAH, and when UAT starts messing with them I get antsy...
1. That UAH is small potatoes has nothing to do with UA.

2. There is no UAT.

Witt has done an outstanding job, and he'll do even better at making the the UA system world renowned, with the CAPSTONE as its highlight (as it should be, given that UA is the bread and butter of the system).

coUrAgeWins

1st Team
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, AL
1. That UAH is small potatoes has nothing to do with UA.

2. There is no UAT.

Witt has done an outstanding job, and he'll do even better at making the the UA system world renowned, with the CAPSTONE as its highlight (as it should be, given that UA is the bread and butter of the system).
If UAH is such small potatoes why is Tuscaloosa setting up an office in HSV to compete on DoD and NASA research contracts against UAH???

UAH has always been the research University in this part of the state, and Tuscaloosa is evidently no longer willing to let that be. The fact that no UAH alumni or anyone with ties to HSV is even on the UAH board, or was invloved in the search to replace Portera's interm role as UAH pres.....

HSV mayor and other civic leaders have petitioned Tuscaloosa for more involvement with UAH, but to no avail, at least not to public eyes.

I do not deny Witt's accomplishments for Tuscaloosa. However I do not know of his influence in Tuscaloosa's recent change in how they are dealing with UAH. Was/is he involved, was it just Portera, the Board of Trustees?

But now that Witt is Chancellor, I'll be watching to see how this whole situation develops.

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
If UAH is such small potatoes why is Tuscaloosa setting up an office in HSV to compete on DoD and NASA research contracts against UAH???

UAH has always been the research University in this part of the state, and Tuscaloosa is evidently no longer willing to let that be. The fact that no UAH alumni or anyone with ties to HSV is even on the UAH board, or was invloved in the search to replace Portera's interm role as UAH pres.....

HSV mayor and other civic leaders have petitioned Tuscaloosa for more involvement with UAH, but to no avail, at least not to public eyes.

I do not deny Witt's accomplishments for Tuscaloosa. However I do not know of his influence in Tuscaloosa's recent change in how they are dealing with UAH. Was/is he involved, was it just Portera, the Board of Trustees?

But now that Witt is Chancellor, I'll be watching to see how this whole situation develops.
You're saying more research, with undoubtedly more qualified and better funded personnel, is a bad thing? It could be that UA has set up in Huntsville because, oh I don't know, that's where all the scientific action in the state is...kind of the original purpose for UA putting a center there in the 50s to begin with? NASA came before UAH, not the other way around.

If NASA had been attracted to Huntsville as a result of this major research university, I might see your point. As it is, the university was founded as an extension of UA BECAUSE OF the location of NASA, and later gained its autonomy.

coUrAgeWins

1st Team
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, AL
You're saying more research, with undoubtedly more qualified and better funded personnel, is a bad thing? It could be that UA has set up in Huntsville because, oh I don't know, that's where all the scientific action in the state is...kind of the original purpose for UA putting a center there in the 50s to begin with? NASA came before UAH, not the other way around.

If NASA had been attracted to Huntsville as a result of this major research university, I might see your point. As it is, the university was founded as an extension of UA BECAUSE OF the location of NASA, and later gained its autonomy.
No, what I am saying is that it appears to us in HSV that UA is using underhanded tactics to tap into the DoD and NASA research $$$. Again, there is NO ONE on the UAH board that has ties to UAH or the HSV area (and that was by design from UA). The latest UAH pres was hand picked by Portera and the UA BOT, who again has NO ties to UAH or this area, and no one from HSV or UAH alum we allowed to participate in the search. If the mayor of HSV and Chamber of Commerce are having 'strong' discussions with UA about this very topic, then things are bad.

It appears to us that there is no interest in allowing each university to specializing in their respective areas and that the UA BOT/Chancellor/President are going to marginalize UAH's position with what they do specialize in.

The fact that UA is oblivious to the concerns of the HSV community and OUR university is offensive to most in this area. If the Alabama system, is supposed to be 'system' between UA, UAH, and UAB, it sure doesn't feel like it. But I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise seeing how UA has treated UAB.

It's just funny how UA created an office up here AFTER MDA and AMCOM relocated the HQ here during the last BRAC. NASA's funding has been ever shrinking.

But I guess you are right. The UA researchers are so much more qualified that those at UAH that we might as well just close the university down. We should count ourselves lucky they are moving in to town to save us all.

Yes we are bitter... :tongue:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.