Link: Colts release Peyton Manning

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
This hurts in so many ways. The Colts are one of the few midwest teams I adopted after we moved to central Indiana when I was a child, now he's gone. This is like losing a piece of my childhood right here. In more ways than not I was a Peyton fan over a Colts fan. Oh well, I guess that's just the way of the NFL now; Montana, Favre, and now Manning all have gone through the same thing.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but I don't feel one bit sorry for him or anyone (no matter if they went to UT, UA or even API) in his situation getting released due to injury. Lots of people in this country have gotten hurt and can't work and don't have a zillion dollars in the bank. Its sad from a football perspective we'll never see him at an elite level again but the game will go on.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Yeah, I recognize Peyton Manning is a really great quarterback but I still have a memory of him leading the UT band after a victory at Bryant Denny.My how the times have changed.

jsanderson

Scout Team
Nov 17, 2007
So can we use him to teach our Qb's? He is a great Qb, can't take that away from the man, hopefully he finds another team and then destroys the colts. And I hope the colts lose every game this year with lucky.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
Peyton played up there in some rarefied air with guys like Marino, Montana and Farve. He gets my respect for that. It doesn't matter to me that he played for the Viles because it's been so long ago. I hope he gets to enjoy the rest of his life free of problems from his injury.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Sad, sad day for me. I remember the way I felt when my Niners let Joe go. Of course it helped still having Jerry and Young there. Won't be any Jerry Rices walking onto the field at Lucas Oil. I count myself blessed to have watched Peyton play in his prime. It was a thing of beauty.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
As a Patriots fan, I cursed him every time the Colts played New England.

Still... the rivalry will never be the same since it won't be Brady vs. Manning anymore. Even if he ends up in Miami and plays New England twice a year, it still will be different.
I have heard Miami mentioned as speculation, but have heard the Redskins also. From what I understand after a Thursday 4 PM deadline for the Colts to change their mind, he's free to go where he wants to. According to SI.com, he's already been working out at Duke with Cutcliffe for the last couple of weeks and reportedly looking much improved.

Not many QB's at his level come back from an injury at his point in their careers and come close to producing what they previously did. It will be fun to watch.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I know 'the love of the game' won't let him retire, but I don't see how he's got many productive years left. Unless I had money to burn and a major need, I wouldn't sign him.

It's not personal against him....I just have to question his productivity at this point, in a new system, with new receivers, etc.

I know 'the love of the game' won't let him retire, but I don't see how he's got many productive years left. Unless I had money to burn and a major need, I wouldn't sign him.

It's not personal against him....I just have to question his productivity at this point, in a new system, with new receivers, etc.
Like in Indianapolis, I'm guessing a team willing to sign Manning will give him a lot of control on how that offense runs.

And, knowing the type of player he is, I can see him being incredibly driven to show he's not done at this point.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
There are a lot of NFL teams with bad quarterback play. Manning at less than his best is still light years ahead of some of the guys currently starting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.