BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Is reading heredity

I think it is because my Father loved to read but my Mother didn't and between five kids four of us love to read. My wife does not like to read and I do and I have two boys. Both of them love to read. Don't know if this is enough info to judge but I believe it is.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    As an English teacher, I believe it is learned. If you read to your kids and they see you love reading, it is more likely they will learn to love to read. Also, finding good, engaging material is a must. I started the bigger books by reading the Narnia serious to my kids. Now they read Potter, Rangers Apprentice, even Big Nate, Diary of. Wimpy Kid, etc are good choices to start with.
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Re: Is reading heredity

I think it's more contagious than hereditary. My wife and I are both big readers, and our five-year-old loves to read (in her limited capacity). She prefers to go to bed holding a book instead of a doll.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I think it's more contagious than hereditary. My wife and I are both big readers, and our five-year-old loves to read (in her limited capacity). She prefers to go to bed holding a book instead of a doll.
    I would tend to agree it's more contagious, however both of my parents are big readers as am I. I think it might be learned as well by parents and teachers. Not sure since I don't have kids but does middle school and high school require book reports anymore? Somehow I doubt they do very much.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is there a connection between intelligence, imagination and curiosity and any affinity for reading? If so, there may be some hereditary element to reading.
    Last edited by Tide1986; May 28th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't read and I blame Jr. High and High School because both my parents read. Way too many boring 100 year old books being forced down my throat during school just turned me off. I prefer movies now! Why read "To Kill a Mocking Bird" when there is a fantastic movie just begging to be watched. Sorry, English/Literature teachers, us boys are tired of Watership Down and Wuthering Heights. Want to keep us interested in books then why not read some good stuff like "A Princess of Mars," a 100 year old book that is fun!

I also got tired of searching for the deep philosophical meaning in everything we read in school. Hey teachers, maybe the author just thought it was a good story and really didn't have a deep hidden meaning in mind. School made reading into a chore and that has turned me off to this day.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

Absolutely not hereditary. It's a learned skill and an acquired taste.