Is reading heredity

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I think it is because my Father loved to read but my Mother didn't and between five kids four of us love to read. My wife does not like to read and I do and I have two boys. Both of them love to read. Don't know if this is enough info to judge but I believe it is.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
As an English teacher, I believe it is learned. If you read to your kids and they see you love reading, it is more likely they will learn to love to read. Also, finding good, engaging material is a must. I started the bigger books by reading the Narnia serious to my kids. Now they read Potter, Rangers Apprentice, even Big Nate, Diary of. Wimpy Kid, etc are good choices to start with.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I think it's more contagious than hereditary. ;) My wife and I are both big readers, and our five-year-old loves to read (in her limited capacity). She prefers to go to bed holding a book instead of a doll. :)

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I think it's more contagious than hereditary. ;) My wife and I are both big readers, and our five-year-old loves to read (in her limited capacity). She prefers to go to bed holding a book instead of a doll. :)
I would tend to agree it's more contagious, however both of my parents are big readers as am I. I think it might be learned as well by parents and teachers. Not sure since I don't have kids but does middle school and high school require book reports anymore? Somehow I doubt they do very much.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Is there a connection between intelligence, imagination and curiosity and any affinity for reading? If so, there may be some hereditary element to reading.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't read and I blame Jr. High and High School because both my parents read. Way too many boring 100 year old books being forced down my throat during school just turned me off. I prefer movies now! Why read "To Kill a Mocking Bird" when there is a fantastic movie just begging to be watched. Sorry, English/Literature teachers, us boys are tired of Watership Down and Wuthering Heights. Want to keep us interested in books then why not read some good stuff like "A Princess of Mars," a 100 year old book that is fun!

I also got tired of searching for the deep philosophical meaning in everything we read in school. Hey teachers, maybe the author just thought it was a good story and really didn't have a deep hidden meaning in mind. School made reading into a chore and that has turned me off to this day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.