Question: EA Sports Online Pass

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Got NCAA 2012 a little over a month ago. Moved my PS3 to a direct hookup with my router instead of trying to go Wi-Fi across the house. Do I have to buy the Online Pass to play online or when I activate the code does it last forever? I haven't gotten a good answer from the things I've read. Thanks!

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I hate online passes. They are going to kill Gamestop. I have always loved racking up on used games when Gamestop runs them buy 2 get one free. Now with online passes that messes that up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hate online passes. They are going to kill Gamestop. I have always loved racking up on used games when Gamestop runs them buy 2 get one free. Now with online passes that messes that up.
I must be misunderstanding the concept. How does that mess it up? I was under the impression Online Pass is what I need to play online games or an online dynasty. Is it not?

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
I must be misunderstanding the concept. How does that mess it up? I was under the impression Online Pass is what I need to play online games or an online dynasty. Is it not?
No, you have it right. New games come with the online pass. Used games won't. So if you buy a used game that has a multiplayer feature, you'll have to pay extra for that game's online pass.

At least, That's how I think it works.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
No, you have it right. New games come with the online pass. Used games won't. So if you buy a used game that has a multiplayer feature, you'll have to pay extra for that game's online pass.

It is. The real downfall of places like Gamestop is likely coming with the next generation of consoles, which are rumored to be disc free, meaning you'd pay for and download the games directly from either Sony or Microsoft over the PSN or Xbox Live respectively. The only potential issue I see with that would be hard drive space, but I assume the next gen consoles will come with very large hard drives standard.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It is. The real downfall of places like Gamestop is likely coming with the next generation of consoles, which are rumored to be disc free, meaning you'd pay for and download the games directly from either Sony or Microsoft over the PSN or Xbox Live respectively. The only potential issue I see with that would be hard drive space, but I assume the next gen consoles will come with very large hard drives standard.
I like that idea, but I know I won't be getting a new console anytime soon. I'd be curious about the cost of that considering the disk and packaging costs SHOULD be (not necessarily will be) removed. Also, it would mean more people buy and download because I would not be able to take my disk to a friend's house to play. He would have to buy it.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Drive space isn't even really an issue if you retain rights to re-download, like with Steam.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL

Yes and they are usually 10 bucks. I got Dirt 3 used and haven't been able to play it online.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yes and they are usually 10 bucks. I got Dirt 3 used and haven't been able to play it online.
In my experience, the online pass makes the game full-price again. So you can buy, say, NCAA 12 used for $50, but then pay $10 to play online. Thats what happened when I bought BF3 used as well, I think it was only one or two dollars cheaper used. On the other hand, maybe it is just because the two games I bought like that are the most recent of their respective series and they would have been priced at about $60 without the need for an online pass anyways, idk.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.