Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

The Last 4.7 Seconds

What if Grant had just let them play? It looked to me that Steele had an open 3, from a spot he had just made one a few minutes before. It also looked as though he had a driving lane in front of him to the paint.

As the TO is called, you also see the CU baseline defender running up to Steele - who might have had an opportunity to pass down to an open Green on the baseline for an open look from 17 feet or so.

Would we have been better served to just play it out?

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: The Last 4.7 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    What if Grant had just let them play? It looked to me that Steele had an open 3, from a spot he had just made one a few minutes before. It also looked as though he had a driving lane in front of him to the paint.

As the TO is called, you also see the CU baseline defender running up to Steele - who might have had an opportunity to pass down to an open Green on the baseline for an open look from 17 feet or so.

Would we have been better served to just play it out?
    I'm not sure Grant saw him with the "jumbled" mess in front of him.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Steele could have taken a shot and got fouled on the attempt.

Tough to know what Grant saw but everyone looked confused in that instance. It did look a little silly but I'm okay with it. Should have had two options depending on zone or man but maybe they did and the players misread it. Or, have a more generic play (like screen out top) that may be somewhat effective for zone or man?

I did agree with letting the team go after the missed free throw. Creighton made the foul at the right time since they had one to burn..

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

All I'm going to say is that I watched Coach Grant at VCU every chance I got. Seeing his clock management in various games and watching him essentially out coach Coach K in the NCAA tournament I'm going to venture to say they players were all out of sorts. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me. From my vantage point that play looked like disaster and complete chaos.

I still ticked and will be for a long time at the complete lack of effort by Green and Jacobs going for that rebound. Grab that ball we are down 1 with 18 seconds and then the players let all of that time run off the clock before we foul. That play summed up all of our losses to me. I hope that's not me being to critical of the players, but that was ridiculous.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Coach Grant will have an outstanding career at Bama and I'm behind him 100%.

There's no way you inbound at 4.7 and call timeout at 2.4 UNLESS you have a screen and lob pass play that goes inside to a big man.

If it's going to be a desperation "Three" then why take them out of rhythm? Just let em play.

Still, we should have had three free throws.

sip

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I think Coach Grant will have an outstanding career at Bama and I'm behind him 100%.

There's no way you inbound at 4.7 and call timeout at 2.4 UNLESS you have a screen and lob pass play that goes inside to a big man.

If it's going to be a desperation "Three" then why take them out of rhythm? Just let em play.

Still, we should have had three free throws.

sip
    I hated the last play. I would have rather we run some type of screen action to get Releford or Lacey the ball going toward the basket. 2.2 is enough for two dribbles and a shot. I hated that last play call. Now way Green was getting the ball in that situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMTA06 View Post
    I hated the last play. I would have rather we run some type of screen action to get Releford or Lacey the ball going toward the basket. 2.2 is enough for two dribbles and a shot. I hated that last play call. Now way Green was getting the ball in that situation.
    Don't know if that was the last play call. Looks like we took what was open.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I was flabbergasted that we did not take a timeout when the foul occurred. I thought we would take the timeout to set something up. 4.7 seconds is not much time to get the ball in bounds and setup for a shot, 2.4 is nearly impossible. Bad decision, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    I was flabbergasted that we did not take a timeout when the foul occurred. I thought we would take the timeout to set something up. 4.7 seconds is not much time to get the ball in bounds and setup for a shot, 2.4 is nearly impossible. Bad decision, IMHO.
    Why? The play was already called from the TO before the miss. All we have to do call the right Inbounds play and set.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

timeout at 4.7 is the best call. settle the young men down, and set up a play that can either win with a shot or get fouled, and then one and one at worst.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamanix View Post
    timeout at 4.7 is the best call. settle the young men down, and set up a play that can either win with a shot or get fouled, and then one and one at worst.
    Bama did get fouled...

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Why? The play was already called from the TO before the miss. All we have to do call the right Inbounds play and set.
    There is no reason to let the clock run out with a timeout in your back pocket. With 4.7 seconds on the clock that is the last legitimate chance you have to use it. Use it to settle everyone down, prepare the guys for any defense. It isn't just a inbounds play, it is an inbounds play that can lead to the best and fastest shot possible. You've got one opportunity in that situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Maybe Steele could have taken a shot and got fouled on the attempt.

Tough to know what Grant saw but everyone looked confused in that instance. It did look a little silly but I'm okay with it. Should have had two options depending on zone or man but maybe they did and the players misread it. Or, have a more generic play (like screen out top) that may be somewhat effective for zone or man?

I did agree with letting the team go after the missed free throw. Creighton made the foul at the right time since they had one to burn..
    See what I think too many people are hung up on running "plays". I can tell you that most coaches run "offenses" that rely on a players basketball sense to make a play. Some coaches run "sets" with plays. Grant runs an "offense".

For the inbounds you have multiple options that they should know. During the game you can run it out of a "stack", "box" or "circle" (motion). Then for last second plays you have the "quick hitters". These are basic things that all coaches know, nothing special. The bottom line is whether the players can remember the play on the quick hitters. Doesn't look like several did. In basketball everyone has to be in the right place at the right time.