Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article Basketball was a mixed basket in 2011-2012

Basketball was a mixed basket in 2011-2012
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    March 19th, 2012 12:39 AM

Basketball season presents a quandary for many Alabama fans, to the extent that trying to determine just how things are going is like asking a NASCAR fan to comment on Formula One racing: It’s not an area of expertise. . While Alabama fans are among the [...]

Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Basketball was a mixed basket in 2011-2012

Good article. But I think you meant Tony Mitchell, I was like who the heck is tony franklin.

BamaNation First Team BayouBama75's Avatar
    My Mood
    Pensive on TideFans.com

Wasn't he the old OC at AU. I knew who he meant though. Good analysis. I am rooting for AC.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah he was, got sacrificed mid season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Franklin? Swing and a miss, Jess.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

$^#@%@!. Fixed.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Tony Franklin played for old Phil. Eagles! Great Player!
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Perhaps itís just in the schoolís DNA to be regarded as both defensive stalwarts and also offensive neanderthals in all sports. But where the football program finally figured out how to start moving the ball effectively, beginning with the 2009 season at least, Alabamaís 2011-2012 basketball team almost looked like a study in the four-corners offense.
    That's is a great analogy Jess!

However, I think a lot of that is having a group of Freshman on the court. We certainly were a different team with TM and JG on the court during the first half of the season. I'll tell you that in Basketball it translates to every level with underclassmen in implementation of Offense and "wrinkles" that you put in the game.

1. Player development, conditioning, implementation of base offense, base defense, Press, secondary Offense/Defense, Quick hitters, in-bounds (Press break, half-court, under the basket) are things you do in the off-season.

2. Practicing for Basketball is totally different than football. You are limited during the season for practice time due to your 2 - 3 game a week schedule. Implementing "new stuff" is something that you can't really do during that time. The "learning curve" for players is just too challenging, and non-existent with Froshs!

CAG reminded me of myself this year. I took over a team in the middle of the season that had 1 senior and the rest were JV. Constantly, I was telling my players on the court to "pass, cut", get on the ball, and calling sets from the sideline because everything was new for them and the "basketball sense" was not there yet. Finally, towards the end of the season I could release my Senior to tell the underclassmen where they need to be.

If you notice before the "infamous timeout" in the Creighton game CAG is is "instructing" players where they need to be on the "quick hitter". Evidently, the suspensions in the middle of the season sent us into a tailspin offensively. He didn't have time to "work" the refs because he was busy instructing his players.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

10. March 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Great read as always. I know it's easy to write, but I just wish we could get a lights out shooter that teams would have to respect so we wouldn't have to work so hard for just inside pts. and struggle to reach 55-58 pts a game. Just avg. 65-68 pts a game (taking out those 3-4 layup games where we score 80) and we're a 25-6 team. I love the discipline CAG has instilled and was much needed- also, I THINK player development will be better than it was from 2004-2009 going forward. We are back at least to the fourth/fifth best Hoops program in the SEC after years in the bottom half. Hopefully we can regain a run like had 1982-1994? and be a contender most every year.