JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Basketball was a mixed basket in 2011-2012
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 19th, 2012 12:39 AM

Basketball season presents a quandary for many Alabama fans, to the extent that trying to determine just how things are going is like asking a NASCAR fan to comment on Formula One racing: It’s not an area of expertise. . While Alabama fans are among the [...]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Perhaps it’s just in the school’s DNA to be regarded as both defensive stalwarts and also offensive neanderthals in all sports. But where the football program finally figured out how to start moving the ball effectively, beginning with the 2009 season at least, Alabama’s 2011-2012 basketball team almost looked like a study in the four-corners offense.
That's is a great analogy Jess!

However, I think a lot of that is having a group of Freshman on the court. We certainly were a different team with TM and JG on the court during the first half of the season. I'll tell you that in Basketball it translates to every level with underclassmen in implementation of Offense and "wrinkles" that you put in the game.

1. Player development, conditioning, implementation of base offense, base defense, Press, secondary Offense/Defense, Quick hitters, in-bounds (Press break, half-court, under the basket) are things you do in the off-season.

2. Practicing for Basketball is totally different than football. You are limited during the season for practice time due to your 2 - 3 game a week schedule. Implementing "new stuff" is something that you can't really do during that time. The "learning curve" for players is just too challenging, and non-existent with Froshs!

CAG reminded me of myself this year. I took over a team in the middle of the season that had 1 senior and the rest were JV. Constantly, I was telling my players on the court to "pass, cut", get on the ball, and calling sets from the sideline because everything was new for them and the "basketball sense" was not there yet. Finally, towards the end of the season I could release my Senior to tell the underclassmen where they need to be.

If you notice before the "infamous timeout" in the Creighton game CAG is is "instructing" players where they need to be on the "quick hitter". Evidently, the suspensions in the middle of the season sent us into a tailspin offensively. He didn't have time to "work" the refs because he was busy instructing his players.

rhunter

Scout Team
Aug 9, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Great read as always. I know it's easy to write, but I just wish we could get a lights out shooter that teams would have to respect so we wouldn't have to work so hard for just inside pts. and struggle to reach 55-58 pts a game. Just avg. 65-68 pts a game (taking out those 3-4 layup games where we score 80) and we're a 25-6 team. I love the discipline CAG has instilled and was much needed- also, I THINK player development will be better than it was from 2004-2009 going forward. We are back at least to the fourth/fifth best Hoops program in the SEC after years in the bottom half. Hopefully we can regain a run like had 1982-1994? and be a contender most every year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.