The Trayvon Martin Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Potential to cause harm is not justification for anything.

If someone approaches me in the dark and starts asking questions, I will a) keep my distance, and b) answer or refuse to answer questions depending on whether I believe they are legitimate questions. If someone is asking me to justify my presence, I would probably answer "What are you doing here?" or "Do you live around here?" If someone is cornering me, and saying things like "You lost? You don't belong here." I might feel threatened, but attacking the questioner is still not okay. I may be legitimately afraid, but I am still not in imminent danger. If they physically try to prevent me from leaving, or wrestle me down, or strike me, I am justified in using force to retaliate, but even that is not legal justification for the use of deadly force, even under Stand Your Ground. Again, imminent danger of death or great bodily harm is the standard. If they are pointing a gun at me, or pull a knife, or are beating my head against the pavement, then deadly force is protected under Stand Your Ground.

Zimmerman's wounds to the face and the back of his head support the justified use of deadly force against his attacker, Trayvon Martin. I am unaware of any evidence of Martin being in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm prior to the altercation in which Zimmerman sustained injuries, but Martin apparently did not.
We will just have to agree to disagree then.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
That much is apparent, but the law says what the law says.
Imminent danger of death or great bodily harm.
The law actually says "He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;"

There is a HUGE difference there. It comes down to the word reasonably. If I can put it in the frame of mind that I feel someones actions are reasonably going to cause me imminent death or great bodily harm, then SYG works for me.

Given this scenario, a man has been following me for a couple blocks, attempts to stop/interrogate me in a dark space between buildings and may have a gun visible. I can tell you that I reasonably believe that person wants to cause me imminent death or great bodily harm and my actions are to prevent what I believe to be the imminent commission of a felony.

I have derailed this thread. I am sorry. I just wanted to illustrate what I believe to be a bias for GZ utilizing the SYG law, and I wonder if the same zealous nature would be applied had TM had a gun and shot first.

Anyways, interesting discussion. Sorry to have derailed it.

To answer Mikes12

mikes12 said:
Chanson: Do you think GZ is guilty of 2nd degree murder (I think that is the charge, correct me if wrong) beyond reasonable doubt?

Reasonable doubt, IMO is the key to this case, and is supposed to be the standard for criminal burden of proof. In my opinion, this case has reasonable doubt written all over it, perhaps even without SYG law.
Do I think he committed 2nd degree murder? No. Manslaughter? Yes. I agree that the reasonable doubt is the significant issue here, and as a result of his story being the only one available, I feel he likely walks.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I have derailed this thread. I am sorry. I just wanted to illustrate what I believe to be a bias for GZ utilizing the SYG law, and I wonder if the same zealous nature would be applied had TM had a gun and shot first.
You seem to have a bias against people following and asking questions of suspicious people in dark neighborhoods.
I have a bias against those who initiate aggression, as does the law.

If Zimmerman had followed Martin, asking questions, and Martin shot Zimmerman, Martin should be guilty of some form of homicide.
If Zimmerman were beating Martin's head on the ground, and Martin shot Zimmerman, Martin should be able to claim self-defense.
If Zimmerman had pulled a gun on Martin, and Martin shot Zimmerman, Martin should be able to claim self-defense.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Folks would do well to remember that local authorities were NOT going to charge him based on evidence and the SYG law. This prosecution is solely political and I think anything short of conviction on some murder charge will result in civil unrest. But that is what happens when you actively stoke race issues. Should TM be dead? NO. Should GZ have stayed his fat ... in his car? YES. But that didn't happen so you have to apply the law. I just hope the jury doesn't feel threatened by public outcries in a way the vote against what they believe is right. Personally I think they are out to railroad GZ and I'd hate to be in his position.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Just depends on the state. Here it is 9 and all verdicts must be unanimous for either side to win. Other states have more or less in # and some require only majorities for a verdict. Feds must be unanimous. Is this in state court?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anyone else find it weird that the jury is all women?
I figure the state was looking to save money on the hotel rooms. By having 6 women, they only have to get 3 rooms. If they had men and women, they would have had to get more rooms. Gotta cut costs somewhere.:wink:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Which begs the question. If TM had a gun and had shot GZ, would he be protected from prosecution under SYG? Lets say he did throw a punch or shoved GZ away when he was approached by GZ. Given the outcome, and the fact that I think someone could reasonably paint a picture that he was being harassed, likely turning to threatened due to being approached in a dark area more likely to conceal someones nefarious actions, it makes more sense for someone to shoot first and ask questions later. That is to me the danger of the SYG law. My definition of threatened is obviously different than many on this boards. Having such an objective qualification for being able to take someones life seems a bit silly.
If I was in TM's shoes in this situation (presuming fear as you point out), I would have hung up on my girlfriend and called the police. That way, if the guy does try anything, police will know I was defending myself if it gets to the point I need to Stand My Ground.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just depends on the state. Here it is 9 and all verdicts must be unanimous for either side to win. Other states have more or less in # and some require only majorities for a verdict. Feds must be unanimous. Is this in state court?
Yes, the number of grounds for a federal homicide are very few and I can't see this fitting any of them...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I figure the state was looking to save money on the hotel rooms. By having 6 women, they only have to get 3 rooms. If they had men and women, they would have had to get more rooms. Gotta cut costs somewhere.:wink:
You've hit the exact reason. It's not only rooms, it's per diem and other expenses. Economy has been mentioned in each of the states which have adopted the mini-juries...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
just sayin'

http://thesteadydrip.blogspot.com/2013/07/zimmerman-prosecutor-indicted-for.html
Florida State's Attorney Angela Corey has been indicted by a citizens' grand jury, convening in Ocala, Florida, over the falsification of the arrest warrant and complaint that led to George Zimmerman being charged with the second degree murder of African-American teenager Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida.

The indictment of Corey, which was handed down last week (see www.citizensgrandjury.com), charges Corey with intentionally withholding photographic evidence of the injuries to George Zimmerman's head in the warrant she allegedly rushed to issue under oath, in an effort to boost her reelection prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.