The Trayvon Martin Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I don't see how he can be considered guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." However, in spite of specific instructions, it wouldn't surprise me if the jury finds him guilty because of any of a number of opinion (non-fact) based reasons.
With the national attention they maybe afraid not to make him guilty because of the backlash that people have seen in the past. This jury was special pick for this case.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Based on the initial media reports, I felt Zimmerman should have been prosecuted. In fact, I still think there should be a trial - the only time someone who kills another shouldn't face charges is when the facts are obviously in their favor. That said, I was initially biased against Zimmerman based on the media, and I've changed my stance since - I feel he acted stupidly, but did not commit murder.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't see how he can be considered guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." However, in spite of specific instructions, it wouldn't surprise me if the jury finds him guilty because of any of a number of opinion (non-fact) based reasons.
If they do, I don't think it'll be because of fear of riots or the like. If they find him guilty, no matter what the instructions say, they may take the whole chain of event of a piece, so to speak, and think along the lines that, if Zimmerman had minded his own business and not trailed Martin while armed, the kid would be still alive and they wouldn't be sitting there in judgement on him. Not strictly legal, but don't be surprised...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Based on the initial media reports, I felt Zimmerman should have been prosecuted. In fact, I still think there should be a trial - the only time someone who kills another shouldn't face charges is when the facts are obviously in their favor. That said, I was initially biased against Zimmerman based on the media, and I've changed my stance since - I feel he acted stupidly, but did not commit murder.
If they do, I don't think it'll be because of fear of riots or the like. If they find him guilty, no matter what the instructions say, they may take the whole chain of event of a piece, so to speak, and think along the lines that, if Zimmerman had minded his own business and not trailed Martin while armed, the kid would be still alive and they wouldn't be sitting there in judgement on him. Not strictly legal, but don't be surprised...
I agree with both of the above and will further state that I don't know how it is possible for a fair trial to occur with as much media interference this case has had. Was it premeditated, no. Was it reckless, yes. The verdict will depend solely on how the Judge charges the jury and how much the jurors listened to the facts and if they can put aside everything in the media. It is nothing short of a circus.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I don't think that matters one way or the other...
This times one trillion kazillion. He could have done cartwheels. His previous calls to 911 don't matter, whether he wanted to be cop don't matter. None of what the prosecution has presented matters. They have to PROVE GM pursued TM and that he was going to confront him"

This is the definition they must prove beyond a reasonable doubt:

"Murder with a Depraved Mind occurs when a person is killed, without any premeditated design, by an act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind showing no regard for human life."

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
So here's a question to those from the beginning of this post waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the trial started that asked for prosecution: after a few weeks of prosecution testimony, does he seem quite as guilty now?
Since the prosecution is about to wrap up and from what I have heard so far, GZ will be not guilty. GZ's actions contributed to this tragedy but do not rise to the level of causing guilt. TM's actions can be viewed the same. I suspect there will be a wrongful death civil trial and GZ will probably lose that one.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
To the shock of no one, TM's mom testified the voice on the 911 calls is Travon's.
It's not like it'll help bolster a civil case at all.... oh wait. I wouldn't be shocked with a verdict either way; but considering this is the highest legal burden, no way has the prosecution made its case. I'm not sure if they have "lesser included' offenses that they can give jury instructions on, but if they do, I wouldn't be surprised at a jury "compromising" on something.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
And now the defense gets to put gz's family on the stand and say it was him. The fbi expert already said he couldn't tell who it was, and that most likely family on either side would answer with bias regarding whose voice it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
And now the defense gets to put gz's family on the stand and say it was him. The fbi expert already said he couldn't tell who it was, and that most likely family on either side would answer with bias regarding whose voice it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Both sides of this case have used emotion and race as a means to achieve their desired outcome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I suspect there will be a wrongful death civil trial and GZ will probably lose that one.
Possibly, as the standard is much lower. That said, I doubt Zimmerman has any real assets at this point, so I doubt it will do the family any good.

I wonder if FL has any laws shielding Zimmerman from civil suits if he's found not guilty? Some states do, but the wording can be confusing and varies wildly from one state to the next.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
And TM would be alive if he had just Told GZ to back off and gone home. GZ also testified that he was headed back to his truck when he was attacked. He claimed "he had lost" TM. ALL of this is immaterial really. The only thing that matters is if they can prove the elements of 2nd degree murder which is a life sentence. ANY reasonable assessment would conclude they aren't even in that hemisphere much less area code.

Sorry for the previous post it was a tying oversight. Me knows the rules. :(
GZ has been shown to have lied about some events so we cant take all his comments as fact.

"Hi I'm Trayvon. I'm visiting my dad, who lives here."
And conversely, Hi I'm George Zimmerman, neighborhood watch, do you live around here?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
That is simply asinine. What are people who are under attack supposed to do? Call time out so that they can go find equal weapons to fight back with? If I have MMA training and I am attacked by some meth head, will I not be able to claim self defense because I used more force than he? It's hard to believe that this would happen, but I know it probably does all too often.
Hand to hand combat would be fine, regardless of your MMA training, especially if there is no longer a duty to retreat.

In one of my cases, what was so crazy, is that my client was originally the intended VICTIM. A guy approached him on foot while he was sitting in his car with his window down. The guy stuck a gun to his head (my client) and he rolled the window up on the guys hand causing him to drop the gun IN the car. My client picked it up and shot the guy in the arm. He was charged with Attempted Murder when he was the original intended victim! I'm not sure what ever happened in that case, because shortly after the preliminary hearing I had to withdraw as I got a contract to work solely in juvenile court.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hand to hand combat would be fine, regardless of your MMA training, especially if there is no longer a duty to retreat.

In one of my cases, what was so crazy, is that my client was originally the intended VICTIM. A guy approached him on foot while he was sitting in his car with his window down. The guy stuck a gun to his head (my client) and he rolled the window up on the guys hand causing him to drop the gun IN the car. My client picked it up and shot the guy in the arm. He was charged with Attempted Murder when he was the original intended victim! I'm not sure what ever happened in that case, because shortly after the preliminary hearing I had to withdraw as I got a contract to work solely in juvenile court.
Wow. I hope that either got dismissed or he was found not guilty.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Question for those more educated that I - why didn't they charge him with manslaughter rather than murder 2?
You'd have to be familiar with FL criminal law and I don't think we have anyone here who is. Overcharging in a widely-publicized case is not unusual...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
And conversely, Hi I'm George Zimmerman, neighborhood watch, do you live around here?
Or better yet......(with gun drawn) "Hi I'm George Zimmerman, neighborhood watch, do you live around here?"

That would have provided young Trayvon an opportunity to know what he was up against.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Or better yet......(with gun drawn) "Hi I'm George Zimmerman, neighborhood watch, do you live around here?"

That would have provided young Trayvon an opportunity to know what he was up against.
And likely would have caused Zimmerman to be arrested and charged with brandishing a firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.